VST M1 native for Roland Cloud

Forum to discuss all aspects of Roland's Cloud
johnghadimi

VST M1 native for Roland Cloud

Post by johnghadimi »

It seems like Roland Cloud has been sleeping on getting the VST also M1 native!! Only AU is sofar supported. Not all mac users are on Logic. My DAW (Bitwig) only supports VST. It's been ages and no news of any updates in sight. Do any forum users have any info on this?
BrianMcClelland

Re: VST M1 native for Roland Cloud

Post by BrianMcClelland »

johnghadimi wrote: 18:19, 14 December 2022 It seems like Roland Cloud has been sleeping on getting the VST also M1 native!! Only AU is sofar supported. Not all mac users are on Logic. My DAW (Bitwig) only supports VST. It's been ages and no news of any updates in sight. Do any forum users have any info on this?
Hi, johnghadimi. Brian from Roland Cloud here. Great question! Roland Cloud instruments are native to Apple Silicon systems in their AU format. The reality is that the DAWs that only support VST formats account for a very small share of our community. Most Roland Cloud members are using Logic, Ableton, FL Studio, or ProTools, in which the instruments are performing well as AUs.

We value our entire community and we are working hard to bring access to Roland Cloud Collection to all. We will have more news on updates once testing is complete and ready for release. Thanks! 😊
johnghadimi

Post by johnghadimi »

Thanks for the response Brian. Hoping Roland will support the native VST3 format under mac very soon. Would be a shame to shortchange the user base of other DAWs. Happy Holidays.

J.
kouthoofd

Post by kouthoofd »

BrianMcClelland wrote: 22:06, 15 December 2022
johnghadimi wrote: 18:19, 14 December 2022 It seems like Roland Cloud has been sleeping on getting the VST also M1 native!! Only AU is sofar supported. Not all mac users are on Logic. My DAW (Bitwig) only supports VST. It's been ages and no news of any updates in sight. Do any forum users have any info on this?
Hi, johnghadimi. Brian from Roland Cloud here. Great question! Roland Cloud instruments are native to Apple Silicon systems in their AU format. The reality is that the DAWs that only support VST formats account for a very small share of our community. Most Roland Cloud members are using Logic, Ableton, FL Studio, or ProTools, in which the instruments are performing well as AUs.

We value our entire community and we are working hard to bring access to Roland Cloud Collection to all. We will have more news on updates once testing is complete and ready for release. Thanks! 😊
Hi Brian!

The reason why most of your roland cloud customers are on platforms that support AU might be that they check the status of a company's support for their hosts plugin support. Neither Cubase, Protools or Bitwig use AU, as far as I know they are major DAW's all three of them. I used to use Logic for my music production, but switched to Bitwig as it suits my need better. I have been a customer of your cloud services since they first came out and I really miss using some of the plugins. Some work i rosetta, but it has been so many years since Apple released their first Mac based on their own silicon and as a service based on subscription, you should really support all platforms I think.

Looking forward for a more open dialogue about this to your customers.

Sorry for the ranting, but I've sent an e-mail to your support concerning this every 6 months or so and only got about the same response... :(

Best of days,
Andreas
johnghadimi

Post by johnghadimi »

@BrianMcClelland, any new news or updates on this front? Still waiting on that VST3 apple silicon native release.

johnghadimi

Post by johnghadimi »

Echoing what Andreas mentioned below. I'm also a Bitwig user and frankly considering not renewing my subscription.
kouthoofd wrote: 19:28, 15 February 2023

Hi Brian!

The reason why most of your roland cloud customers are on platforms that support AU might be that they check the status of a company's support for their hosts plugin support. Neither Cubase, Protools or Bitwig use AU, as far as I know they are major DAW's all three of them. I used to use Logic for my music production, but switched to Bitwig as it suits my need better. I have been a customer of your cloud services since they first came out and I really miss using some of the plugins. Some work i rosetta, but it has been so many years since Apple released their first Mac based on their own silicon and as a service based on subscription, you should really support all platforms I think.

Sorry for the ranting, but I've sent an e-mail to your support concerning this every 6 months or so and only got about the same response... :(

Best of days,
Andreas
BrianMcClelland

johnghadimi wrote: 20:33, 21 February 2023 Echoing what Andreas mentioned below. I'm also a Bitwig user and frankly considering not renewing my subscription.
kouthoofd wrote: 19:28, 15 February 2023

Hi Brian!

Best of days,
Andreas
Hi, friends. Brian from Roland Cloud here. I understand the frustrations. We have been busy in development, but I have taken this feedback to our main engineering team to communicate the concerns about compatibility. We understand that a portion of our community has been unable to access the instruments due to their DAW of choice not supporting our current plugin formats, and our goal is to make the Roland Cloud Collection available for everyone on as many systems as possible. We have compatibility updates coming shortly, thanks for your patience. 🙌
Fraxis

Post by Fraxis »

Just to add that the M1 Native version of Reason 12 has just entered beta testing, so in around 2-3 weeks that's another major player that depends on VSTs for plug-ins arrives, and their users are mostly locked out of using your instruments too. I'm testing it at the moment and only the new Zenology and JD-800 are available to me. And talking of updates that are taking forever, we still don't have an Apple Silicon native version of the the Fantom's Logic Pro DAW Control. I have been chasing you on this FOR OVER TWO YEARS!
johnghadimi

Post by johnghadimi »

Good call on mentioning the imminent Reason M1 version that will be around the corner. I was a Reason user that moved over to Bitwig just so I could use these plugins and discovered that they weren't native for me anyway! Major disappointment. I actually went ahead and didn't renew my subscription this year. I think I'll just stick to my Arturia suite. Roland is really slacking on this!!!
rich_h

Post by rich_h »

I use Studio One which can use AU but I prefer to use VST as I sometimes collaborate with someone on the PC.

In the absence of M1 native VST versions of Roland Cloud I didn't bother to renew my subscription after the trial period.
Fraxis

Post by Fraxis »

I just updated to the new Juno 106, Jupiter 4 and Jupiter 8 and the VST3s absolutely suck in my DAW (the Reason Apple Silicon beta) on a Mac Studio Ultra. Pops and clicks all the time, on even mono patches with the low CPU option ticked. Were these even tested properly on Apple Silicon native VST3 hosts? Seeing complaints about this on other forums too. Wish these things were properly beta tested, as I doubt we'll get a bug fix for them for months, if ever.
johnghadimi

Post by johnghadimi »

Makes me sad to hear this but also glad I canceled my subscription.. I may reconsider once they clean up this mess.
Fraxis wrote: 11:47, 26 April 2023 I just updated to the new Juno 106, Jupiter 4 and Jupiter 8 and the VST3s absolutely suck in my DAW (the Reason Apple Silicon beta) on a Mac Studio Ultra. Pops and clicks all the time, on even mono patches with the low CPU option ticked. Were these even tested properly on Apple Silicon native VST3 hosts? Seeing complaints about this on other forums too. Wish these things were properly beta tested, as I doubt we'll get a bug fix for them for months, if ever.
BrianMcClelland

Fraxis wrote: 11:47, 26 April 2023 I just updated to the new Juno 106, Jupiter 4 and Jupiter 8 and the VST3s absolutely suck in my DAW (the Reason Apple Silicon beta) on a Mac Studio Ultra. Pops and clicks all the time, on even mono patches with the low CPU option ticked. Were these even tested properly on Apple Silicon native VST3 hosts? Seeing complaints about this on other forums too. Wish these things were properly beta tested, as I doubt we'll get a bug fix for them for months, if ever.
Hi, Fraxis. Brian from Roland Cloud here. For best results, we recommend adjusting the buffer size and testing with the 2/4/6 voice limit setting as well to get the proper performance on your system. Also, keep in mind that if you are testing on a beta version of the DAW, there may be other issues present aside from the instruments. If you still experiencing this after adjusting these settings, feel free to reach out to us through the Contact Support portal in the top right Settings menu in RCM with the specific instrument, OS, and DAW version you are working with and we'll review for testing. Thanks!
Fraxis

Post by Fraxis »

Thanks Brian. Reason Studios believes the fault lies with Roland, and I'm not experiencing any other issues at low latency with any other plug-in (after Cherry Audio identified a similar problem to the one here and fixed it) using this extremely powerful chipset. I don't want to dial back the buffer so much that they become horrible to play.

If it's struggling with mono patches on a Mac Studio, surely it's not very well optimised for Apple Silicon - possibly Ultra chips in particular as they're less common and perhaps weren't tested?

But I will see how it performs with the stable version, which is hopefully imminent, as well as trying to find another VST host to test it on.

As an aside, none of the new releases appear as VSTs in Zenbeats, despite me completely rescanning all the plugin folders. Otherwise I would test how they perform using that as the DAW. Is that because they are in a Roland sub-folder of the VST folder? Or is there another Reason why Zenbeats might not like them? They do appear on my Intel Macbook version of Zenbeats (same folder structure), but that's not my main production computer and isn't the one I'm trying to optimise it for. Thanks.
Fraxis

Post by Fraxis »

On a related note, this M1 compatibility page is woefully out of date. No mention of the new native VST versions and some plug-ins not even listed. Could someone from Roland spend a bit of time correcting it please, as for a lot of customers it's probably their only source of information. Thanks.

https://www.roland.com/global/support/s ... lang=en-JM