New Juno 106, Jupiter 4 and Jupiter 8 making Mac Studio Ultra struggle

Forum to discuss all aspects of Roland's Cloud
Fraxis

New Juno 106, Jupiter 4 and Jupiter 8 making Mac Studio Ultra struggle

Post by Fraxis »

Just installed the brand new 2.0 versions of the Juno 106, Juper 4 and Jupiter 8 VST3s and when using Reason 12, my Mac Studio Ultra is glitching with even single instances of mono patches. Are these things just coded badly to demand unrealistic amounts of CPU? What ridiculous spec of machine are they designed to work on? Any other Mac users having issues (or not) and with which DAW, processor and buffer size?
IAAMusic

Re: New Juno 106, Jupiter 4 and Jupiter 8 making Mac Studio Ultra struggle

Post by IAAMusic »

Similar on M1 Max. Pretty amazed really, nothing else troubles the CPU, but insert the new JP8 and immediately all cores running, even if I’m not using the plugin or have it highlighted. Might add I’m using logic.
JSRoland1031

Post by JSRoland1031 »

IAAMusic wrote: 15:34, 29 April 2023 Similar on M1 Max. Pretty amazed really, nothing else troubles the CPU, but insert the new JP8 and immediately all cores running, even if I’m not using the plugin or have it highlighted. Might add I’m using logic.
Fraxis wrote: 09:46, 26 April 2023 Just installed the brand new 2.0 versions of the Juno 106, Juper 4 and Jupiter 8 VST3s and when using Reason 12, my Mac Studio Ultra is glitching with even single instances of mono patches. Are these things just coded badly to demand unrealistic amounts of CPU? What ridiculous spec of machine are they designed to work on? Any other Mac users having issues (or not) and with which DAW, processor and buffer size?
Hi Fraxis and IAAMusic. My name is Jon and I work for Roland Cloud. We hear that some of the community is experiencing performance issues with the new updates. We have updates coming to fix these issues so thank you in advance for your patience! In the meantime I have some temporary solutions you can try. There is an option to "Optimize for Lower CPU Usage", you can find this by clicking the settings button in the upper right corner of the instrument window. This can really help in large sessions with lots of moving parts. Another option is increasing the Buffer Size from 128 to 512 samples in your DAW. And lastly depending on how much polyphony you are using you can try lowering the number of voices. It automatically starts at 8 but can be lowered to 2. This can also be found in the same menu as the Optimize for Lower CPU feature. Thank you for your feedback and let me know if you have any other questions.
IAAMusic

Post by IAAMusic »

Thanks for that. I hope the fixes come soon it’s a faff having to work around this issue on what should be a quick computer.
Fraxis

Post by Fraxis »

JSRoland1031 wrote: 22:08, 2 May 2023
IAAMusic wrote: 15:34, 29 April 2023 Similar on M1 Max. Pretty amazed really, nothing else troubles the CPU, but insert the new JP8 and immediately all cores running, even if I’m not using the plugin or have it highlighted. Might add I’m using logic.
Fraxis wrote: 09:46, 26 April 2023 Just installed the brand new 2.0 versions of the Juno 106, Juper 4 and Jupiter 8 VST3s and when using Reason 12, my Mac Studio Ultra is glitching with even single instances of mono patches. Are these things just coded badly to demand unrealistic amounts of CPU? What ridiculous spec of machine are they designed to work on? Any other Mac users having issues (or not) and with which DAW, processor and buffer size?
Hi Fraxis and IAAMusic. My name is Jon and I work for Roland Cloud. We hear that some of the community is experiencing performance issues with the new updates. We have updates coming to fix these issues so thank you in advance for your patience! In the meantime I have some temporary solutions you can try. There is an option to "Optimize for Lower CPU Usage", you can find this by clicking the settings button in the upper right corner of the instrument window. This can really help in large sessions with lots of moving parts. Another option is increasing the Buffer Size from 128 to 512 samples in your DAW. And lastly depending on how much polyphony you are using you can try lowering the number of voices. It automatically starts at 8 but can be lowered to 2. This can also be found in the same menu as the Optimize for Lower CPU feature. Thank you for your feedback and let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks Jon. Sorry for the slow response. It's struggling less now that Reason has moved from Beta to stable (I guess that there's no no debug code putting extra strain on the oscillators). I did try the Optimize for Lower CPU feature originally but it didn't help significantly. Setting my buffer size to 512 just to accommodate these is unacceptable frankly, so I won't be doing that! Maybe some people don't feel the sluggish response when playing at that buffer setting, but I do. Looking forward to the upcoming fix though! Do you extensively beta test these things? Sounds like you might not have - and it might be a good idea to start. Happy to volunteer if there is an opportunity.
IAAMusic

Post by IAAMusic »

Wow, the latest XV5080 and D50 send my M1 Max studio CPUs into stratosphere. What have you done? It spikes 4, that’s 4 cores with nothing being played in a blank logic project??.??
JSRoland1031

Post by JSRoland1031 »

IAAMusic wrote: 16:40, 13 August 2023 Wow, the latest XV5080 and D50 send my M1 Max studio CPUs into stratosphere. What have you done? It spikes 4, that’s 4 cores with nothing being played in a blank logic project??.??
Hey IAAMusic! I responded to you other post.