Can a Jupiter-X(m) provide pre-mapped MIDI control for Zenology model expansions?

Forum to discuss all aspects of Roland's Cloud
plofstof

Can a Jupiter-X(m) provide pre-mapped MIDI control for Zenology model expansions?

Post by plofstof »

I am a HUGE fan of how the System-8 hardware can control the ACB Plugins like Jupiter 8 or Juno 106 or JX3P in the DAW via MIDI, using the same controls that one would use if you are playing on the System-8. It is an incredibly useful way for me as a user to visualize and experience which knob or slider on the System-8 would affect which knob or slider on the virtual eg Juno, and attain familiarity with the parameter mapping.

I was hoping the Jupiter-X can do the same for Zenology expansions. Or can it? I have not been able to find an elegant way to do that.

For example, if I open a Jupiter 8 or Juno 106 or JX-8P or JD-800 model expansion in Zenology Pro, is there not a ready-made MIDI control mapping in which I can tweak the parameters in the Zenology expansion using the same knobs or sliders that I would use if I were editing the same model on the Jupiter directly?

I guess it would be possible to Learn each and every slider for every model, but that would be a real headache...

I have tried the MIDI DAW CTRL and the normal MIDI to see whether the Zenology Pro expansion would respond to incoming MIDI, but have not been able to make it work (yet). On System-8, which works outside of Zenology, the hardware control mappings immediately and automatically worked.

Is there anyone else who managed to use Jupiter-X(m) hardware to control a Zenology Pro model expansion?
JSRoland1031

Re: Can a Jupiter-X(m) provide pre-mapped MIDI control for Zenology model expansions?

Post by JSRoland1031 »

Hey there plofstof! Jon from Roland Cloud here. Using the Learn MIDI CC feature by right clicking on any parameter, you are able to easily MIDI map whatever setting to whatever knob of your choosing. By saving the session in your DAW you should be able to recall the arrangement and therefore could use this sessions as a template. It's a work around but it should work. I will make note for you to request more compatibility with MIDI mapping the JUPITER-Xm to ZENOLOGY Pro.

Feel free to reach out if you have any more questions! Thanks so much for the feedback.
plofstof

Re: Can a Jupiter-X(m) provide pre-mapped MIDI control for Zenology model expansions?

Post by plofstof »

Thank you so much for the reply Jon.

Here's an interesting observation. I own both the System-8 and the Jupiter-X. The System-8 is automatically mapped to all Zenology model expansions. Even though the System-8 is ACB and supposed to be used with the older Plug-Out VSTs - I was surprised to see that Zenology model expansions automatically correctly recognize incoming MIDI CC from the System-8.

For example, if I load the Zenology Juno 106 model expansion, I can just tweak Cutoff or Reso on my System-8 and the correct parameter in the Zenology model expansion will automatically respond.

The same is not true for Jupiter-X.... - which seems quite ironic given that the Jupiter-X should be more of a Zenology Pro machine than the System-8...

So from a control surface perspective, the System-8 is actually more effective right now than the Jupiter-X even if I am using Zenology Pro in my DAW.

Thank you for noting the request. Looking forward to a future update!!
plofstof

Post by plofstof »

Hurrah! I did get the Jupiter-X to work as a control surface.
The trick was to enable the "Tone CC Map" option in the SYSTEM > MIDI menu...

Most (not all) parameters map correctly to Zenology Pro models
JSRoland1031

Post by JSRoland1031 »

plofstof wrote: 21:14, 2 August 2023 Hurrah! I did get the Jupiter-X to work as a control surface.
The trick was to enable the "Tone CC Map" option in the SYSTEM > MIDI menu...

Most (not all) parameters map correctly to Zenology Pro models
Awesome! That's great to know. Thanks for taking the time to figure that out. I have a few synths that automatically map to certain parameters on ZENOLOGY Pro. Luckily it's so easy to just switch it up on the fly. :)