Roland Cloud Lifetime Keys NOT Lifetime WTF

Forum to discuss all aspects of Roland's Cloud
jvbonanno

Roland Cloud Lifetime Keys NOT Lifetime WTF

Post by jvbonanno »

OK, So I am on High Sierra (10.13) and have a pretty substantial investment in both hardware and software.

A new version of the Roland cloud manager that only runs on 10.14 came out and I have NO intention on running a newer OS anytime soon.

So although everything is currently working I started to get the same "I'm gonna F you feeling" and I immediately emailed Roland...

(I also asked why purchased Lifetime keys do NOT show on the manager or on your Roland account, which is frustrating because you cannot even send support questions, only for registered hardware, so you must email the "pre-sales" dept)
It is very depressing that the “purchases” are not listed under my account (web portal) nor do they show in the Roland cloud manager.

They do show as installed and unlocked, but no record of purchased products.

In addition, the Roland Cloud Manager no longer supports High Sierra 10.13, so I will not be getting anymore updates, I have a few questions…

1) Will my lifetime key purchases, always work under my current OS with the old version on the Roland manager (I am on 2.5.15) ?

… I will NOT be upgrading my OS due to some very expensive studio items that need the legacy support of this older OS

2) Can I make new lifetime Key purchases with the old Manager version ?

3) Is there anyway to post to my account (I cannot register then as hardware, I tried) my Purchases in EITHER the manager or the Website profile ?
So the response, get ready, cause it was NOT good...
1) Will my lifetime key purchases, always work under my current OS with the old version on the Roland manager (I am on 2.5.15) ?

"Not necessarily. The minimum system requirements for Roland Cloud are now macos 10.14 and using earlier versions is no longer supported.”

WFT does that mean, 3 months... 6 months, next week will my "lifetime keys" not work at all

- Very Disapponting
JSRoland1031

Re: Roland Cloud Lifetime Keys NOT Lifetime WTF

Post by JSRoland1031 »

jvbonanno wrote: 00:42, 16 September 2023 OK, So I am on High Sierra (10.13) and have a pretty substantial investment in both hardware and software.

A new version of the Roland cloud manager that only runs on 10.14 came out and I have NO intention on running a newer OS anytime soon.

So although everything is currently working I started to get the same "I'm gonna F you feeling" and I immediately emailed Roland...

(I also asked why purchased Lifetime keys do NOT show on the manager or on your Roland account, which is frustrating because you cannot even send support questions, only for registered hardware, so you must email the "pre-sales" dept)
It is very depressing that the “purchases” are not listed under my account (web portal) nor do they show in the Roland cloud manager.

They do show as installed and unlocked, but no record of purchased products.

In addition, the Roland Cloud Manager no longer supports High Sierra 10.13, so I will not be getting anymore updates, I have a few questions…

… I will NOT be upgrading my OS due to some very expensive studio items that need the legacy support of this older OS

2) Can I make new lifetime Key purchases with the old Manager version ?

3) Is there anyway to post to my account (I cannot register then as hardware, I tried) my Purchases in EITHER the manager or the Website profile ?
So the response, get ready, cause it was NOT good...

"Not necessarily. The minimum system requirements for Roland Cloud are now macos 10.14 and using earlier versions is no longer supported.”

WFT does that mean, 3 months... 6 months, next week will my "lifetime keys" not work at all

- Very Disapponting
Hey jvbonanno, Jon from Roland Cloud here. We have had many requests to a have purchased or Lifetime Keys feature in Roland Cloud Manager. I'll make sure to bring up your request with the rest of the team. I'm hoping it finds its way into the next update.

In regards to updates, we always recommend updating your machine to the most recent version for your OS, DAW, and Roland Cloud Manager, to get the best performance possible.

If you have any further questions feel free to reach me through private message and I'd be happy to assist you further. We always appreciate the feedback.
jvbonanno

Post by jvbonanno »

Hey jvbonanno, Jon from Roland Cloud here. We have had many requests to a have purchased or Lifetime Keys feature in Roland Cloud Manager. I'll make sure to bring up your request with the rest of the team. I'm hoping it finds its way into the next update.
Jon, Thank you sooo much for the reply, but I am unsure what you are referring to with "finding it's way into the next update."
The product works awesome for me the way it is, in my current DAW and Mac OS; both the XV-5080 and SRX world have been great products for me. I own many real ROMPLErs... JV-880, JV-1080, XV-5050, but I prefer the cloud so that I may add MIDI effects (like arpeggios) in Logic Pro X.

All that being said, Travis Hartnett's (Roland Corporation), email replies are cold and have turned me off to EVER buying another lifetime license...

He further stated, without giving me any idea how long my current Roland cloud Manager will still authorize what I have already paid for.
5. Restrictions and Obligations.
a. Modification to the Roland Cloud Service. Roland may at any time and from time to time, and without notice or liability, (i) revise, supplement, suspend, or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, the Roland Cloud Service (or any part or functionality thereof), (ii) terminate all licenses granted in this Agreement, or and (iii) change the equipment, hardware or software necessary to use the Roland Cloud Service and access the Product Content.
and added the clarification...
The basic translation of that is: "Over time, the system requirements for the plugins will change."
Which is fine and reasonable, HOWEVER...where in the license agreement does it explain that at when Roland updates the Cloud manager that it may cause existing versions (that can still connect to the internet) not to function to authorize already purchased keys ?!

If I choose NOT to update, and want to simply use what I already paid for... just like I do with older versions of Native instrument software, then it would be great if my version of the Roland cloud manager simply authorizes via the web connection. It does now, but I have been left with an empty pit in my stomach worrying about the day my Manager version decides to stop working. When I pressed Travis for a timeframe and if my purchased keys will continue to activate upon a web check, he responded with said...
Not necessarily. The minimum system requirements for Roland Cloud are now macos 10.14 and using earlier versions is no longer supported
Well isn't that just dandy :)
In regards to updates, we always recommend updating your machine to the most recent version for your OS, DAW, and Roland Cloud Manager, to get the best performance possible.
When will you guys realize that we really don't care about what you think in reference to how to get the "best performance possible". What an idiotic and extremely subjective statement to make; In the real world, constantly updating like Apple (and now Roland) wants us to may equate to buying new interfaces, or new computer systems, or breaking compatibility with expensive studio equipment.

Not all of us are kids with the latest Macbook Air and a 2X2 USB interface.
JSRoland1031

Post by JSRoland1031 »

jvbonanno wrote: 22:23, 19 September 2023 Jon, Thank you sooo much for the reply, but I am unsure what you are referring to with "finding it's way into the next update."
The product works awesome for me the way it is, in my current DAW and Mac OS; both the XV-5080 and SRX world have been great products for me. I own many real ROMPLErs... JV-880, JV-1080, XV-5050, but I prefer the cloud so that I may add MIDI effects (like arpeggios) in Logic Pro X.
When will you guys realize that we really don't care about what you think in reference to how to get the "best performance possible". What an idiotic and extremely subjective statement to make; In the real world, constantly updating like Apple (and now Roland) wants us to may equate to buying new interfaces, or new computer systems, or breaking compatibility with expensive studio equipment.

Not all of us are kids with the latest Macbook Air and a 2X2 USB interface.
jvbonanno, what I meant was I hope that a tab allowing users to see what Lifetime Keys they own finds its way onto the next update of Roland Cloud Manager.

Just so you know, you don't have to update your instruments and will be able to continue running the current version you are using. You won't be blocked just because we update to other versions. Make sure to turn off auto-update and you'll need to sign in to authorize once every 30 days. By doing this you will not be able to access new versions, bug fixes, improvements and sound packs meant to run with unique features found in updates.
jvbonanno

Post by jvbonanno »

jvbonanno, what I meant was I hope that a tab allowing users to see what Lifetime Keys they own finds its way onto the next update of Roland Cloud Manager.
Thank you Jon :) I re-read your message and realized that, I apologize for the confusion.
Just so you know, you don't have to update your instruments and will be able to continue running the current version you are using. You won't be blocked just because we update to other versions.
Wow, you made my day, and thank you!!

You should probably inform others in Roland customer service (Travis Hartnett) about these facts. This would have been a very simple and reassuring reply from him, but I am guessing his info and yours are in a stark contradiction.

Lastly, can I buy additional lifetime keys with the older Manager ?
Travis replied with
No, you need to have Cloud Manager 3.0 or later, which requires macOS 10.14 or later.
But I just want to verify if that is in fact true...