How to conect Fantom properly with "other" DAW...?

The workstation, redefined
Mario Dombos

How to conect Fantom properly with "other" DAW...?

Post by Mario Dombos »

Hi,

I'm confused with this „internal“ and „external“ philosophy. I read and studied, testing and experimenting, several times graphic and written explanation (Reference Manual page 104 - Controlling an External MIDI Device (EXT MIDI OUT)) how it works etc... but I’m still confused.

Especially when it comes in combination with DAW, „MIDI Through Active“ option in DAW (ON or OFF)…

What is the function of menu->system->sound->Local Switch (ON or OFF)? Which zone is sending than MIDI data? „Green “or „Red“ or both or none? What is the influence of Active zone then, and does it play role is the zone „green “or „red“? What about zones and MIDI channel, any connection between them? And what about split function? Does split function also influence send and received MIDI data …

I'm working with MIDI last 30 years, but still I can't figure it out completely how Fantom handles this, and what was intention. Please explain a little bit more using examples.

For example, one simple task. I want to record two channels simultaneously in to DAW (Cubase). Zone one is Electric piano from D#2 to G9, and second is Bass from (where is the „-2“ octave... I think you shifted complete keyboard up, compared to standard MIDI) C- to D2. How to set up zones, layers, splits, local switch, internal and external, ...? Shall I use filters for note-range, MIDI channel filter, in DAW? Please explain. Make a You-Tube video. All you tube videos explaining simple task that we can figure it out by ourselves.

No hard feelings, still think that Fantom is great keyboard, but please help me to put this under control. Explain little bit more, connection with other DAW-s, what is the best practice approach for multi-timbral recording ...

Thanks,
Mario
Devnor

Re: How to conect Fantom properly with "other" DAW...?

Post by Devnor »

I don't have access to my Fantom but I'm using Logic. None of the DAW control or their plug in. My Fantom is setup just like I would use the Jupiter 80 or Kronos with Logic sequencer. External midi track assigned to the port connected to the Fantom. Local off. So you enable record on the track, keep the track selected then press the corresponding scene switch on the fantom. This should record & playback normally.

For the split, you need to make 2 scenes active with split configured on the Fantom and have 2 record enabled tracks set to the same midi channels.
lutefiasco

Post by lutefiasco »

For the split, you need to make 2 scenes active with split configured on the Fantom and have 2 record enabled tracks set to the same midi channels.
You need to have 2 _zones_ active, with the split configured, in a single scene, and then both tracks record-enabled.

(I'm sure it's just a typo, but worth pointing out for clarity).
MacTyros

Post by MacTyros »

I saw (part of ) a livestream from Ed Diaz yesterday connecting the Fantom with ableton live

Its registered on youtube, might be helpfull
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

lutefiasco wrote: You need to have 2 _zones_ active, with the split configured, in a single scene, and then both tracks record-enabled.
You are correct sir!