Editor for Fantom

The workstation, redefined
Yannick.fr

Editor for Fantom

Post by Yannick.fr »

Dear all,

Is there any software or editor for the Fantom available?
I really like to connect my Pc to the Fantom in order to send scene, tones, save them, or Easyly a few available on the net without using a USB key.
Thanks
cello

Re: Editor for Fantom

Post by cello »

No, there is no app for the Fantom. The Jupiter-X(m) got one so who knows, there could be one for the Fantom one day - but not so far.
FGM

Post by FGM »

There is Zenology...

https://www.roland.com/uk/products/rc_zenology_pro/

I myself have not tried it so far but it seems to be a comfortable and easy on the eyes way to construct Zen-Core tones that can be used by and ultimately imported into Fantom.
Yannick.fr

Post by Yannick.fr »

Thanks, so still a lot of room for improvements.....
Diaphone

Post by Diaphone »

FGM wrote: 14:19, 5 June 2021 There is Zenology...

https://www.roland.com/uk/products/rc_zenology_pro/

I myself have not tried it so far but it seems to be a comfortable and easy on the eyes way to construct Zen-Core tones that can be used by and ultimately imported into Fantom.
Is anyone here with a hardware Fantom making use of this? From what I can gather (since the free version lacks all export/save capability) is that Zenology Pro can be used to create ZCore tones and drum kits that can be exported to the Fantom, but as far as I can tell it does not have any of the other functionality of a typical sysex or dedicated live-connection editor; which is to say it cannot push or pull programs from the Fantom over the PC-to-Fantom USB connection, it still requires you to save your patches to a thumb drive. It's unclear as to whether it can export just single tones and drum kits, or if you can use it to organize a whole bank of programs into a single .sdz for loading into the Fantom, does anyone know?
Tom_1970

Post by Tom_1970 »

I welcomed the editor for the Jupiter-X and although it won't hurt to get one for the Fantom, I personally don't feel the urge for it.
I love the JP-X for its knobs and sliders and I love editing sounds on it, but for making ZenCore sounds from scratch the editor is most welome.

However I really love the interface of the Fantom.
The combination of knobs and the touchscreen and the edit section on the right makes it the perfect machine for my computer free studio.

I can imagine an editor would be most welcome for 'housekeeping' such as shifting tones and scenes around.
mostinif

Post by mostinif »

Hi Yannick.fr
Is anyone here with a hardware Fantom making use of this? From what I can gather (since the free version lacks all export/save capability) is that Zenology Pro can be used to create ZCore tones and drum kits that can be exported to the Fantom, but as far as I can tell it does not have any of the other functionality of a typical sysex or dedicated live-connection editor; which is to say it cannot push or pull programs from the Fantom over the PC-to-Fantom USB connection, it still requires you to save your patches to a thumb drive. It's unclear as to whether it can export just single tones and drum kits, or if you can use it to organize a whole bank of programs into a single .sdz for loading into the Fantom, does anyone know?
Yes. I used Zenology Pro (due a Roland's offer one year free for Fantom owners :) ) to edit tones - mainly new Model Expansions tones. (Jupiter 8 and Juno 106 in my case). Then I exported these tones, leaving a sdz file on laptop ready to be imported using a usb pendrive into Fantom as standard sdz user tone. It works well and it's very easy.
Best regards,
Flavio
Diaphone

Post by Diaphone »

I decided to try a Roland Cloud subscription for a month to give this a go, and what I've found is that Zenology doesn't cut it as an editor for me. It can't read .sdz files from my Fantom 7 at all, it just gives some kind of file open error. Zenology Pro doesn't seem to be able to handle user samples at all either, which all my drum kits use. So in a nutshell, useless to me.
FGM

Post by FGM »

What a pity...

So it works the other way....? Tones from Zenology to be edited and then exported into Fantom...?
Diaphone

Post by Diaphone »

FGM wrote: 12:04, 5 July 2021 So it works the other way....? Tones from Zenology to be edited and then exported into Fantom...?
Yes, I got tones exported from Zenology Pro to work in the Fantom. Also, .sdz files from the Fantom work so long as no program within references a user sample. One program or drum kit with a user sample and the whole attempt to import fails with a simple error message.
motnaf

Post by motnaf »

+1
New Fantom 7 owner. After only 10 days can already feel the need for an Editor/Librarian software...
neomad

Post by neomad »

https://www.roland.com/us/categories/synthesizers/apps/

Jupiter and Juno have useful editors / librarians... is the Fantom's one on the way? it is basically what Zenology Pro does, but routed to Fantom cc and NRPN
anotherscott2022

Post by anotherscott2022 »

neomad wrote: 10:13, 30 January 2023 Jupiter and Juno have useful editors / librarians... is the Fantom's one on the way? it is basically what Zenology Pro does, but routed to Fantom cc and NRPN
The editor/librarians go far beyond what Zenology does... here's how they describe the functions:

Zenology only does tone editing, which is essentially equivalent to the Part Editor as listed there (though the Part Editor adds direct connection/immediacy). It's actually the Sound Organization function I want most. The Part Editor is the function I'd use least. The Fantom already gives you good part editing facilities on-board via the touchscreen. But things like being able to re-order Scenes, or copy Zones to other Parts (in the same Scene or a different one) are capabilities I'd really like to see. The former would probably work best in an editor/librarian, the latter would be really nice to see built into the board itself, but if these things could be done one way or another, it would be a big improvement to me.
neomad

Post by neomad »

anotherscott2022 wrote: 16:43, 30 January 2023
neomad wrote: 10:13, 30 January 2023 Jupiter and Juno have useful editors / librarians... is the Fantom's one on the way? it is basically what Zenology Pro does, but routed to Fantom cc and NRPN
The editor/librarians go far beyond what Zenology does... here's how they describe the functions:

Zenology only does tone editing, which is essentially equivalent to the Part Editor as listed there (though the Part Editor adds direct connection/immediacy). It's actually the Sound Organization function I want most. The Part Editor is the function I'd use least. The Fantom already gives you good part editing facilities on-board via the touchscreen. But things like being able to re-order Scenes, or copy Zones to other Parts (in the same Scene or a different one) are capabilities I'd really like to see. The former would probably work best in an editor/librarian, the latter would be really nice to see built into the board itself, but if these things could be done one way or another, it would be a big improvement to me.
I agree... I have been tweaking Midiquest for the last 25 years... but Zenology may be the starting point of what I consider a must on the 21st century. It is just and editor? right, let's start with something Roland