Fantom 6 or Jupiter X

The workstation, redefined
MacTyros

Fantom 6 or Jupiter X

Post by MacTyros »

I am looking for a replacement for my Nautilus that resides on top of my Genos.

Mostly for Synths, making heavy use of arp’s in the proces.

I have been waiting for more arps in the Fantom for quite a time now, but i don’t see this happening any time soon. Espescially after comments from Marketing manager Europe Peter Scheurs that there is only a single arp in the Fantom for copy right reasons.

So what would you advise, for someone that does not need the fancy sequencer in the Fantom, but wants more arps? Wait, or go for the Jupitet X?

What i dislike about the Jupiter is the tiny screen combined with all the menu diving required.. but i guess the edditors and an ipad might solve just that.

Other options could be A Yamaha Montage but will be replaced soon. While the Kronos is discontinued already
mostinif

Re: Fantom 6 or Jupiter X

Post by mostinif »

Hi Mactyros:

Sound Engine on both instruments are based on Zen Core, Jupiter X adds ACB (Analog Circuit Behavior) against Fantom. They've different user's perspective. Best is try by yourself ,if you can.

Another interesting point of Jupiter X is the i-arpeggio, that is not available on Fantom. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXYAJSDCR3k
Also, on Fantom, the arpeggiator isn´t user editable. At least up to today's firmware .
Seasons Greatings
Flavio
thedecider

Post by thedecider »

If you want a more classic programming panel to make your own sounds with the model expansions (JP, JU, JX, etc.) then the Jupiter-X is quite excellent, sounds amazing, and plays like a dream. No, not everything is on the panel for all of the classic models, but once you know what's there and how to quickly get to other parameters (hold SHIFT and move a knob or slider to jump to the parameters page), it's not a big deal.

For playability and spontaneity of classic models I enjoy the Jupiter-X over the Fantom-6, but that's what I bought it for. The Fantom is quite good at doing this, and for some may be a better, more streamlined experience. Often, I create a patch on the JP, then import to Fantom which is the centerpiece for my DAW. I can fine tune details from there and record, or pattern sequence, etc.

I find myself much more inspired to create sounds from scratch on the JP though. If I was going to get into Zen-Core sound design, I'd probably want to do it on Fantom since it has the touchscreen advantages—might be quicker and more intuitive. If you're doing arps one can record MIDI and edit in the DAW. I-Arpeggio is fun, and the step editor is actually pretty cool on JP, vs. the pattern sequencer on Fantom, which will likely see an upgrade, though I've had a lot of fun with both (the JP got a pretty good update for the step editor running more like a classic TR-Rec Roland step sequencer, which Fantom has).

Hope that helps!
MacTyros

Post by MacTyros »

thedecider wrote: 04:54, 24 December 2021 If you want a more classic programming panel to make your own sounds with the model expansions (JP, JU, JX, etc.) then the Jupiter-X is quite excellent, sounds amazing, and plays like a dream. No, not everything is on the panel for all of the classic models, but once you know what's there and how to quickly get to other parameters (hold SHIFT and move a knob or slider to jump to the parameters page), it's not a big deal.

For playability and spontaneity of classic models I enjoy the Jupiter-X over the Fantom-6, but that's what I bought it for. The Fantom is quite good at doing this, and for some may be a better, more streamlined experience. Often, I create a patch on the JP, then import to Fantom which is the centerpiece for my DAW. I can fine tune details from there and record, or pattern sequence, etc.

I find myself much more inspired to create sounds from scratch on the JP though. If I was going to get into Zen-Core sound design, I'd probably want to do it on Fantom since it has the touchscreen advantages—might be quicker and more intuitive. If you're doing arps one can record MIDI and edit in the DAW. I-Arpeggio is fun, and the step editor is actually pretty cool on JP, vs. the pattern sequencer on Fantom, which will likely see an upgrade, though I've had a lot of fun with both (the JP got a pretty good update for the step editor running more like a classic TR-Rec Roland step sequencer, which Fantom has).

Hope that helps!
My biggest fear on the Jupiter, is that when menu diving on the small screen is needed, it quickly will get me frustrated. I hate menu diving on small screens.. while the larger screen on the Fantom should work like a charm for menu diving.. everything is neatly ordered with lots of visual support.. so on the jupiter, i would definately allways require an editor on my ipad..

However with the current arp options, the fantom is less and less of an option..

Maybe they should offer a 76 key version, that brings back the layout of the jupiter 80 (10 channels) and the screen.. which made it a perfect performance key..
thedecider

Post by thedecider »

If you're looking to program using the JP, JU, JX , SH models, then I favor the JP. Most of what you need is on the panel, and it's an easy SHIFT-knob shortcut to get to the parameter list for whichever model you're programming. It's only a single list, and a right arrow over to MFX, which are overall excellent. I LOVE the chorus options.

I have my JP on the upper tier of a two-tier stand, so the screen is fairly close, and I don't find it to be a pain. When I first got it it was on a desk and I was not sitting at the right angle—I did get a stiff neck, but adjusted and then it was fine.

All the other sounds from the XV are easy to work with and I haven't found I need to do anything with them; it's select a sound, play, and enjoy, so there's really not much necessary on the small screen. It's got thousands of usable presets plus all the power of the model expansion programming on the panel, the mfx, and it's such a nice build. I was really impressed when I got mine. On top of that, you have dual, split, step sequencing, i-arp, and the Zen-Core sound engine to do your own sounds if you want; I'm still exploring the models.

The JP is kind of like a super Juno DS with better sounds, more of them, better keybed, much better performance controls, and all the flexibility of programming on the panel. The synth models really are special and it's hard to make them sound bad.

And, as you stated, the editor is there too if you want to explore that. I have booted it up but haven't found much need yet for it myself.
andywt21

Post by andywt21 »

MacTyros wrote: 11:58, 22 December 2021 I have been waiting for more arps in the Fantom for quite a time now, but i don’t see this happening any time soon. Espescially after comments from Marketing manager Europe Peter Scheurs that there is only a single arp in the Fantom for copy right reasons.
I'm wondering who is this mysterious copyright holder of multiple-arpeggiator idea?
MacTyros

Post by MacTyros »

andywt21 wrote: 19:58, 26 December 2021
MacTyros wrote: 11:58, 22 December 2021 I have been waiting for more arps in the Fantom for quite a time now, but i don’t see this happening any time soon. Espescially after comments from Marketing manager Europe Peter Scheurs that there is only a single arp in the Fantom for copy right reasons.
I'm wondering who is this mysterious copyright holder of multiple-arpeggiator idea?
I think he reffered to the content created being copyrighted..
can’t imagine Yamaha having copyright on multiple arpeggiators in a hardware instrument.

But in general i think its just bull talk…
There where more dubious statements in that interview.

However, it might be an indication as to why we will nit see multiple arps in roland workstations wether its true or not..
The i-arp seems to be a way around this.
mashipx

Post by mashipx »

If you dont mind menu diving and dont want a crappy sequencer get the jupiter x.. only a few differences in the synth op. If you dont need a non fully functional (by modern standards) sampler and happy with a daw instead of a half baked sequencer then you cant go wrong. Either way its a lot of money for a hardware version of a cloud synth.. just saying...ps ive owned both and feel justified in my opinion.
DNGmaestro

Post by DNGmaestro »

mostinif wrote: 16:43, 23 December 2021 Hi Mactyros:

Sound Engine on both instruments are based on Zen Core, Jupiter X adds ACB (Analog Circuit Behavior) against Fantom. They've different user's perspective. Best is try by yourself ,if you can.

Another interesting point of Jupiter X is the i-arpeggio, that is not available on Fantom. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXYAJSDCR3k
Also, on Fantom, the arpeggiator isn´t user editable. At least up to today's firmware .
Seasons Greatings
Flavio
Jupiter X doesn't have ACB.
FGM

Post by FGM »

mostinif

Post by mostinif »

DNGmaestro wrote: 15:10, 10 April 2022
Jupiter X doesn't have ACB.
The JUPITER-X Series uses one of the first product-specific expansions to the base engine, Analog Behavior Modeling or ABM, which is the technology behind the Model Bank feature.

Different from the base Virtual Analog of ZEN-Core, the ABM-powered “Model Bank” synths in the JUPITER-X and Xm reproduce the total character of specific vintage synths including the JUPITER-8, JUNO-106, JX-8P, and SH-101, all with incredible precision. For these synths, we did deep behavioral analysis of elements such as the filter’s curve
https://www.roland.com/us/promos/jupiter-x_story/

Yes. You’re right. My apologies. ABM is the term.
Thanks you for your post.
Best regards
Flavio