Keyboard layer splits for external keyboard controller

The workstation, redefined
Jonnyharrypiano

Keyboard layer splits for external keyboard controller

Post by Jonnyharrypiano »

Hi guys,
I’ve created a scene with zones with different split points which are all fine on the built in keyboard, but if I try to play using external MIDI controller, none of the split points are used. Is there an option for an external controller to simply “mimic” the main bully in keyboard.
Thanks in advance,
FGM

Re: Keyboard layer splits for external keyboard controller

Post by FGM »

I think perhaps that range should be set on the external keyboard itself.

Anyway, as far as I know, Fantom provides keyboard ranges for both, internal layered zones and external zones. If it is not layered, there is no keyboard range restriction going on (all keys shown on the screen as available to play) except the ones arising from the partials. A key might not sound therefore even if it is shown as available.

External keyboard range is achieved via the EXT tab in the Zone edit. This allows playing Fantom and trigger the external zone when playing whitin the envelope range.

Now, internal keyboard ranges are set via either zone itself or via up to four partials forming the tone, or both.
Since I think you have restricted the keyboard range via zone and it does not work, have a try setting the range within the partials. In so doing, the external keyboard will still have access to all the keys, but I think it will not sound until within the envelopes set appropriately in the partials.

Be aware that at times it is a bit difficult to set those ranges working when there is a mixture of octave changes in the PRO common area of the tone and then a keyboard range in the partial.

Yes, if you tell under PRO common area to octave shift by 3 and the partial was previously set to play only in the range of just D5, then that partial will not sound when playing key D5. No, it will not. Only when playing D2. Since D2+3 octaves equates D5, and that is the range requested.

But see that there will be no sound if under zone edit range, as shown on the screen under RANGE, does not include D2 in its range.

This is further complicated in the event you have Shifted-zone and modified the pitch under Octave Shift. It will simply add or subtract another amount. In the previous case, having +1 in there will requiere playing D1 and also have that range available in the keyboard shown on the screen.

But wait, it is a Roland Fantom !!!! and then all previously said can be somewhat modified via the Key Range Fade Low/Up, located right below the Key Range Low/Up

In a nutshell: the keyboard range available as shown on the screen must contain at least a key that when played will add to itself all shifts in octave ranges (under common in Pro in the tone and also Octave shift in Zone) will reach the keyboard range asked under the partial.

anotherscott2022

Re: Keyboard layer splits for external keyboard controller

Post by anotherscott2022 »

FGM wrote: 10:41, 27 May 2021 I think perhaps that range should be set on the external keyboard itself.
Correct. Unlike some boards, the Fantom does not apply key ranges to externally triggered sounds. So as I also mentioned elsewhere, you need a multi-zone controller, or you can use something like an iPad to turn a single-zone controller into a multi-zone controller.