External MIDI controller

The workstation, redefined
muso7

External MIDI controller

Post by muso7 »

Hey guys
My first post in this section - just replaced my Jupiter-80 with my new Fantom-8.
Apologies if this has been covered before (I did some searches!!)

If I merely want to play my F8 using an external MIDI controller keyboard, is there a global set up somewhere so that the F8 sees the external MC keyboard as an alternative keybed?

Many thanks

Pete :-)
FGM

Re: External MIDI controller

Post by FGM »

๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Menu>System>MIDI>Remote Keyboard Switch [ON].
Remote keyboard switch.jpg
Remote keyboard switch.jpg (180.54 KiB) Viewed 1337 times

๐ŸŽน๐ŸŽน๐ŸŽน๐ŸŽน
muso7

Post by muso7 »

Oh man!!!!

THANK YOU so much for your help.....

Cheers

IkerG

Post by IkerG »

hmmm...will try it on mine
FGM

Post by FGM »

๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Initially, Fantom will play the ACTIVE zone.

If the active zone is COMMON (unlit), the remote keyboard will make it sound even when playing outside its keyboard range, if any was set.

Any other zones you would like to be played by Fantom are also to be INT (red lit) or BOTH (yellow lit, Fantom playing the INT part of the zone, the EXTernal device, if any, playing the EXT part ).

Any zone under EXT (green lit), will not be played by Fantom, but by any other EXTernal sound device, if any.

This asumes your configuration is ADVANCED, in SYSTEM>GENERAL>Zone Int/Ext Control.

That is the way my connection works via WIRELESS MIDI thanks to CME WIDI Master ( MIDI DIN connectors ), guess it should be the same via a cabled connection using the MIDI IN/OUT DIN plugs and/or USB COMPUTER (1) and/or USB EXTERNAL DEVICE (3) ports.

Hey, it turns out it is like playing the Fantom directly, without a remote keyboard ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค”๐Ÿค”

Mmmmm...what about aftertouch ?
Polyphonic aftertouch ?
Playing Fantom from bed ?
https://xkeyair.com/xkey-air/
Mmmmm... not waterproof.

Any IP68 certified wireless MIDI keyboard available to play Fantom remotely after adding oil, lighting some candles, pouring some...?
Ahhhh, it would be a touch of magic for a special night.

๐Ÿ›€๐Ÿ›€๐Ÿ›€๐Ÿ›€
๐ŸŽน๐ŸŽน๐ŸŽน๐ŸŽน
muso7

Post by muso7 »

Again - thanks for your help.

This worked perfectly (Remote Keyboard Switch) and one of the main things I wanted to achieve is playing my F8 using aftertouch - works like a dream!!!

FGM

Post by FGM »

๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

Lovely. Enjoy.

Next for Roland, to release a Fantom sound box, like Integra 7.

Next for me, holidays !

See you in October.

Hope I can find A4 when back while trying to remember what my left hand and feet were meant for.

Everything the very best.

๐ŸŽน๐ŸŽน๐ŸŽน๐ŸŽน
anotherscott2022

Post by anotherscott2022 »

FGM wrote: โ†‘09:26, 10 August 2022 Next for Roland, to release a Fantom sound box, like Integra 7.
Actually, while Fantom is better than Integra as a synth, Integra is actually largely better than Fantom in its acoustic instruments! It has a lot more in the way of SuperNATURAL Acoustic tones, which are generally Roland's best acoustic emulations. (Though Fantom still beats it in some, like the V-Piano and the tonewheel organ.)
muso7

Post by muso7 »

Just been going through this myself... re: SN sounds.
Seems the later Fantom updates have made some enhancements regarding SN sounds on the Fantom.
Just last night was watching the 3 excellent video tutorials from YouTube "ZT Audio" channel entitled "Roland Fantom SuperNatural Secrets, Part 1,2,&3"
(Some great tutorials here which you've probably already seen)

Footnote about my original post here - apart from wanting to use a synth-feel keybed, I was wanting a comfortable way of activating aftertouch - hadn't realised until just now that I can simply assign "AFT" to a pedal!! My aftertouch problem solved in a big way.

(Sorry, please remember I am only a few-weeks-old-Fantom owner.)

Stay safe

Pete
JOHN G

Post by JOHN G »

ZT has the absolute BEST tutorials on this keyboard: very clear , easy to understand and user friendly.....the very best of them, though, is where he demonstrates how to use the Fantom as the main MIDI controller of the rest of the rig....it is an eye-opener