How to listen to ANALOG INPUTS ?

The workstation, redefined
Studio

How to listen to ANALOG INPUTS ?

Post by Studio »

Hi all,
sometimes I'm missing the obvious: I cannot figure out how to listen to the two audio inputs (Mic/Line) of my Fantom 7. On all my other workstations (Kronos, Montage, Genos...) I can connect the audio output of my PC to the audio input of the keyboard in order to listen to Youtube videos for example through the keyboard output. On the Fantom I cannot find any way (i.e. in the Mixer ?) to route the input audio to the main Audio Out.
Anybody?

THANKS for reading!
Mike
mostinif

Re: How to listen to ANALOG INPUTS ?

Post by mostinif »

Hi Studio!

We may split the answer in two parts:

a) Listen PC Audio thru Fantom: The best option (in my personal opinion) is using USB Audio between Fantom and PC/notebook).

MENU->SYSTEM->GENERAL->USB Driver: Vendor (Please note you need to install the Roland drivers in your PC before connect USB)
MENU->SYSTEM->USB->USB Audio Mix/Parallel: Parallel (YMMV depending your taste/needs, but btw....)
MENU->SYSTEM->USB->USB Audio Input switch: ON ( most important !!! )
MENU->SYSTEM->USB->USB Audio InputLevel: Start with 64 and adjust to your needs.

b) Listen Analog inputs from Roland Fantom:

You should enable "Analog Audio IN"

MENU->EFFECTS EDIT->ANALOG IN Tab: Turn on Audio In .
Choose from GUI MIC/LINE input device type ( signal levels).
And, if you're using Mono/Stereo input: parallel switch On/Off.

Please take care about Phantom power on/off if your inputs need it or not. Better stay safe and check it's "off" before plug in any audio sources into Fantom.

Thats all (to start... then you´ve a lot of audio tools available to process your audio in, incuding vocoder and multisample)

Best regards
Flavio
Studio

Post by Studio »

Wow! Thank you VERY much for this great guide!! I would never have found this out by myself! It's not really self-explanatory anyways. I do remember vaguely having seen the "Vendor" setting somewhere, which by itself is hard to guess.

I still don't get the Youtube audio out through the USB channel. Maybe this needs to be switched on the PC somehow, but I don't see an option for that in my sound settings on the PC. I did achieve the original goal though, getting my PC audio through the analog inputs now!

How did you acquire your wisdom? Is it through experience, or is it actually written somewhere in the manual where I overlooked it?

Again, kudos! Helped me a lot!
mostinif

Post by mostinif »

Studio,

very glad to help you. If you don't get audio from your PC, it's time to check audio settings on it. On Windows, you may verify the audio output device. Roland Fantom appears as a "audio card" and then you must select on Windows Audio Settings, this output device (ROLAND FANTOM xxx I don't remember exactly how it appears).
How did you acquire your wisdom? Is it through experience, or is it actually written somewhere in the manual where I overlooked it?
The best source of information is in the manuals: user guides, References and supplementary manuals (each software upgrade comes with one and the newer one don't includes the former one: IMHO a big Roland's mistake).

I strong recommend take a look on their. Learning how to exploit all the facilities that this instrument has, takes time, but it is worth it.
Also this forum has a very valuable information. On youtube, Roland's Ed Diaz vids series are very useful too.

Cheers,
Flavio