Wrong keyboard velocity curve selected under System.

The workstation, redefined
FGM

Wrong keyboard velocity curve selected under System.

Post by FGM »

Hi...

Trying to help a fellow musician I have build a JSFX script to use in its DAW.

It allows playing all MIDI notes but also select a note range and its minimum velocity input .

When testing it, I set notes 60 to 69 to minimum velocity 127.

Played the keyboard at low velocity and the bells were heard until I reached note 60 and nothing heard until note 70, and onwards.

Playing again notes 60 to 69 with utmost force got no sounds.

At first I thought the script was wrongly coded, although compiled ok, but suddenly remembered my very first choices when setting my Fantom 8 some years ago...

After changing velocity curve fron MEDIUM to LIGHT the bells are now sounding along notes 60 to 69 when I hit hard, velocity 127, but without breaking my fingers.

The script works the same than going into the Fantom Zone settings (SHIFT+ Zone number) reaching the VEL RANGE tab and setting 127 to the Velocity Lower Range (the Upper will be dragged also to 127).

MENU> SYSTEM> KEYBOARD >KEYBOARD VELOCITY to REAL.
MENU> SYSTEM> KEYBOARD >KEYBOARD VELOCITY CURVE to LIGHT.

😀😀😀😀
🎹🎹🎹🎹
xp30

Re: Wrong keyboard velocity curve selected under System.

Post by xp30 »

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that you can not trigger the maximum velocity (127) from Fantom 8 keyboard with velocity-curve set to MEDIUM, however, you can trigger it with velocity-curve LIGHT. Correct?

I don't have a Fantom 8. On my Fantom 7, I can trigger the maximum velocity (127) regardless whether velocity-curve is set to LIGHT, MEDIUM or HEAVY. Instead of using the velocity ranges for testing, I suggest to use a MIDI monitor on the computer and check which velocities the Fantom transmits.
FGM

Re: Wrong keyboard velocity curve selected under System.

Post by FGM »

Exactly.

I have to stand on my feet and hit the keys as if in a fight in order to hear anything when MEDIUM is set and velocity 127.

When LIGHT is set the thing is achived much easily.

Anyway. when I use a voice having several velocity layers (120 in some) and need anything above 100 I usually got it via software, not brute force. I mean, in the DAW...

Love playing as my fingers fly...

😀😀😀😀
🎹🎹🎹🎹