Polyphony of N/Zyme engine

The workstation, redefined
apex

Polyphony of N/Zyme engine

Post by apex »

Does anyone know what the counted polyphony is for the Roland N/Zyme engine ? Does it have its own voice allocation or does it use the default polyphony numbers of Fantom?

Just for the sake of asking, what about the other synth engines from Roland Cloud?
xp30

Re: Polyphony of N/Zyme engine

Post by xp30 »

apex wrote: 16:15, 23 July 2023 Just for the sake of asking, what about the other synth engines from Roland Cloud?
I am only familiar with the 4 free models (JX-8P, SH-101, JUNO-106 and JUPITER-8). These tones are directly mapped to the Zen-Core engine. The polyphony depends on the mapping. For example, the JUPITER-8 uses two partials with VCF filters, which should give you about 28-30 voices. IIRC, the JUNO-106 uses 3 or 4 partials, resulting in less polyphony than the JUPITER-8.
apex

Post by apex »

Boooooooo.

If n/Zyme shares polyphony with the main board, that's a Huge missed opportunity.

Maybe enough to make it a hard pass for me.
daniel-pl

Post by daniel-pl »

xp30 wrote: 11:59, 24 July 2023 I am only familiar with the 4 free models (JX-8P, SH-101, JUNO-106 and JUPITER-8). These tones are directly mapped to the Zen-Core engine. The polyphony depends on the mapping. For example, the JUPITER-8 uses two partials with VCF filters, which should give you about 28-30 voices. IIRC, the JUNO-106 uses 3 or 4 partials, resulting in less polyphony than the JUPITER-8.
If you layer 3-4 patches to obtain deep sound, then one chord can consume the whole polyphony. And how about the release phase when you play another chord?

XXI century flagship gear, isn't it? :)
xp30

Post by xp30 »

daniel-pl wrote: 13:09, 21 March 2024
xp30 wrote: 11:59, 24 July 2023 I am only familiar with the 4 free models (JX-8P, SH-101, JUNO-106 and JUPITER-8). These tones are directly mapped to the Zen-Core engine. The polyphony depends on the mapping. For example, the JUPITER-8 uses two partials with VCF filters, which should give you about 28-30 voices. IIRC, the JUNO-106 uses 3 or 4 partials, resulting in less polyphony than the JUPITER-8.
If you layer 3-4 patches to obtain deep sound, then one chord can consume the whole polyphony. And how about the release phase when you play another chord?

XXI century flagship gear, isn't it? :)
I think it is worth mentioning that the Korg M1 in 1988 was almost twice as expensive as the Roland Fantom 6 today (adjusted for inflation). The price of these types of keyboards dropped significantly over the past 35 years. The manufacturers need to make compromises to meet this price point.

It seems that these manufacturers believe that there is a market at this price point for keyboards with these compromises, however, no significant market for keyboards with fewer compromises at a significantly higher price point.

For comparison: On the Fantom about 58 VA-VCF partials can sound simultaneously. The Yamaha Montage M has 16 voice polyphony for the VA engine, and each voice can contain 3 oscillators (i.e. 48 oscillators). The Nord Stage has 48 voices polyphony, and each voice is an oscillator or a 2 or 3 phase-locked oscillators. When it comes to VA polyphony, they are all similar.