Requests to Roland (official)

The workstation, redefined
cello

Requests to Roland (official)

Post by cello »

Hi everyone - Roland is keen to engage with Fantom fans and hear what requests they have for future features of the Fantom platform. So, what would you like to see Roland work on next? Over to you!

I'll be compiling a list of suggestion at the end of September to submit to Roland.

(Polite notice - any insulting or plain unreasonable suggestions will be removed!)
0mega

Re: Requests to Roland (official)

Post by 0mega »

5 - Being able to send midi AND use the internal sound engine at the same time. I want zone 1 to play the sounds of zone 1 and send midi out on channel 1. A mixed INT/EXT mode would work well here.
Liquidmantis

Post by Liquidmantis »

0mega wrote:5 - Being able to send midi AND use the internal sound engine at the same time. I want zone 1 to play the sounds of zone 1 and send midi out on channel 1. A mixed INT/EXT mode would work well here.
This should already work when Zone 1 is selected and the INT/EXT mode is unset. My F8 won't be here for a couple of more days, but this table is from page 104 of the reference guide.

neomad

Post by neomad »

1-zen-core providing kinda supernatural technology (acoustic, organ, etc.)
2-Deep sequencer including microscope (as FA) and touch functions
3-32 midi channels for sequencer (or more! using ext/int/both/CV/USB/midi out)
4-multisampling capabilities (I have hundred of sounds used in gigs, cannot program all again)
0mega

Post by 0mega »

Liquidmantis wrote:
0mega wrote:5 - Being able to send midi AND use the internal sound engine at the same time. I want zone 1 to play the sounds of zone 1 and send midi out on channel 1. A mixed INT/EXT mode would work well here.
This should already work when Zone 1 is selected and the INT/EXT mode is unset. My F8 won't be here for a couple of more days, but this table is from page 104 of the reference guide.

First thank you. That’s helpful but it’s only half way there. If you select zone 1 and turn off the light, none of the other zones play any more. If I want to layer zone 1 and 2 and also trigger external midi I cannot.
jordanadler

Post by jordanadler »

1) ***** Ability to save all zones/tones along with a scene, without having to separately save each edited zone. To me, the Fantom workflow is really quick and inspiring, and having to deal with a bunch of tedious patch management takes me out of it. I'd even be happy with a version of tones/zones that only exist within a scene and can't be referenced elsewhere...

2) A visual interface (Zoom view, not just Pro) for the master compressor would be nice. Some visualization of gain reduction would be ideal.

3) Auto sample slicing and spreading out across pads for the Sampler.

4) Additional chord memory sets, or even better, user assignable chord memory presets.

5) A way to export all tracks of a song as .wav files.
realtrance

Post by realtrance »

Definitely would love to see the VK Organ engine available (or Zen update of same).

Further focus on plucked/string modeling.

As with V-Synth, make the assignment of components/models in the architecture more apparent and assignable (next step beyond Structures).

FM, at the NI FM-8 level of sophistication.

Finer control over velocity/aftertouch at the global/systems level (I know it’s editable per patch but that can be tedious sometimes).

It’s not Fantom, but please make an MV-X. :)
0kk0p3kk4

Post by 0kk0p3kk4 »

1. Seamless sound change from any scene to any scene regardless of used sound engine
2. From zone to zone sound change via pedal
3. Supernatural acoustic sounds
4. Tonewheel organ
5. Jv/srx card-engine
6. Xv5050 last bank missing from xv5080
mogue

Post by mogue »

Direct access to the CV/Gate outputs via the USB audio interface (as is standard for computer CV output), so that they can be used as outputs in software such as VCV Rack, Bitwig Studio, and Ableton CV Tools.
RFID

Post by RFID »

1. Audio track recording - 24 to 48 tracks (48kHz, 24 bit).
2. Multi-sampling with velocity and after-touch on pads.
3. Real-time pitch-shift and time-stretch of samples assigned to pads.
4. Re-sample directly to pads from internal synth.
4. Micro-editing in piano roll with editable pitch, velocity, note length.
5. Expression-pedal control of motion pad.

synthguy99

Post by synthguy99 »

1. Give the sequencer the functionality of the old MPC system used on their old workstations and stand alone sequencers. Specifically, the ability to list the MIDI events in rows and alter them directly while scrolling through the list. I did a track on the old W-30 sampler workstation one time in which I played a lead - poorly, but I fixed it easily by entering the notes in step edit. Then, since the synth I was driving with that track responded to velocity, I opened up the Microscope Edit screen and located the cursor on MIDI velocity parameter. I scrolled down the track using the arrow keys and tapped a key on the keyboard to input velocity directly, and made a wonderful build of timber and volume in the track with ease. The parameter would update with the velocity value of the key as I struck it, only putting in the velocity and changing nothing else. KORG will allow this in their sequencer too, but it's dreadful because you have to hit the Enter key each time you want to do the same thing, making the process tedious.

2. Make a VA model of the System 700 Modular synth, for both the Fantom and Jupiter-X. Roland could release a programming app for iPad, Android, Windows and OSX as Nord did with their Nord Modular. The Fantom could be programmed directly using its marvelous Touch Screen and programming interface. Make it polyphonic as with the Nord Modular and Arturia Moog Modular V. In fact, how about a Moog Modular model while you're at it? I understand that polyphony would be reduced based on the complexity of the patch, but a modular patch wouldn't have to have a ton of polyphony. Just six or eight notes should be plenty, four would work.

3. Make a programmable/editable physical modeling synth as Yamaha did with the VL family. Polyphony wouldn't need to be very high. Make a USB breath controller to drive it, and which can be used with any synthesizer.
neomad

Post by neomad »

Forgot something: patch editor/librarian. Patch management in FA is a nightmare
Chrisk-K

Post by Chrisk-K »

1. PC/Mac patch editor and librarian. This feature should be automatic for all digital synths.
2. Audio track recording in the sequencer.
Cristofori

Post by Cristofori »

* Ability to adjust keyboard velocity settings on a per-scene basis rather than just at the system level.
* Ability to octave shift the VPiano zone as a scene setting
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

RFID wrote:1. Audio track recording - 24 to 48 tracks (48kHz, 24 bit).
2. Multi-sampling with velocity and after-touch on pads.
3. Real-time pitch-shift and time-stretch of samples assigned to pads.
4. Re-sample directly to pads from internal synth.
4. Micro-editing in piano roll with editable pitch, velocity, note length.

I am on board with audio track recording.

Also, for my wish list: More MIDI tracks!!! 16 MIDI tracks is pewny and has all but turned me off from getting the Fantom at this point. Been waiting for a follow up to the Fantom G and this seems like a step backwards as far as the multiple tracks is concerned. Would have been awesome to have 32 MIDI tracks (16 for internal sounds and 16 for external synths. Oh well maybe next time.