Fantom & iPad/GB

The workstation, redefined
Per

Fantom & iPad/GB

Post by Per »

So i was just trying this out, and I can't get the Fantom to be seen as an audio device on my iPad. Has anyone had any luck with this? I've been through the USB audio settings and nothing seems to make a difference (connected via camera connection kit to the "Computer" USB port). I'm trying to record it via GarageBand, and at the same time play audio back from the iPad through it.

This worked out of the box with the Montage, didn't have to do a thing and it pops up as an audio device, send and receive along with MIDI worked perfectly. With the Fantom though only MIDI works, is there some combination of settings required to get it going?
theshine

Re: Fantom & iPad/GB

Post by theshine »

Don't think I've ever seen it advertised as Audio direct to Ipad/Iphone, yes the Montage/MODX does it but that doesn't mean that the Roland or Kronos can do the same thing... You can record audio direct to PC.
Per

Post by Per »

I’m going to see if you actually can record to PC.

Audio over USB is a generic thing, that’s why it works in the Montage with a mobile device too, and even why those little Apogee convertors can work on both PC and Mac. I can’t imagine Roland would have implemented a custom system and driver for this. That would be pretty crazy to do, I mean why do so much extra work for an actually reduced feature set?
jameze

Post by jameze »

This Cant be right, NO IPAD AUDIO Connectivity NO WAY..... is there a place where Roland post future Updates???????

The price for this board is starting TO not feel worth it. ive got 20days to return, the vision i had for this is starting to fade,... coming from Kurzweil (PC3K) i was ready to purchase the Forte, I own a Yamaha MX and love that i can connect my Ipad and play audio from it, it opens up so many possibilities, i thought sure Fantom would have which seemed to be a standard among all new board brands this capability......

VERY DISAPPOINTED........
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

Per wrote:…Audio over USB is a generic thing…
AFAIK, the only Roland product that is USB Audio Compliant is the old M-1000 mixer.
jameze wrote:…coming from Kurzweil (PC3K) i was ready to purchase the Forte…
Pretty sure that neither the Forte nor the new PC4 are USB Audio Compliant. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
theshine

Post by theshine »

Why get disappointed? Did you not research the capabilities of the Fantom before you spent $$$$ on it? I know I did and am very happy with the Fantom. I’d rather people spend more time looking at specs and features than just buying something because it’s the latest thing, then complaining about it.. why not return it then wait to see what additions it gets on the future and whether they suit your work flow?
Per

Post by Per »

Where is the non class compliance stated?
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

Per wrote:Where is the non class compliance stated?
Fantom uses a driver. It's on the support page.
Saxifraga

Post by Saxifraga »

Sadly Roland Products are not Class Compliant.
<sarcasm>I mean, would you expect MIDI/Audio to work with every synthesizer produced today?</sarcasm>
Per

Post by Per »

Devnor wrote:
Fantom uses a driver. It's on the support page.
A driver can be for any custom communication via IO, it doesn’t automatically mean for audio nor does it preclude compliance. Here I would have assumed for DAW control, especially as it’s required in relation to DAW control. The Montage also has a driver for instance that allows their app to communicate with the hardware, but it is still class compliant.

Seeing as this is something that it doesn’t currently appear to do then Roland should very seriously consider implementing this in the Fantom. If you’re going to do audio over USB then class compliance has been the expectation at base level for many years. It’s all the more surprising when the daw control is tied into the Apple ecosystem that they wouldn’t consider one of the more popular trends is connecting an Apple mobile device to expand the capabilities of these instruments.
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

I think you are confused. Fantom audio/midi driver has nothing to do with DAW control. I agree the audio device should be class compliant like my Behringer mixer. I think a USB connection to iPad is definitely coming but maybe not 16/3 stereo channels. Ultimately Fantom OS would need to updated to support ipad midi & audio streams.
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

Unfortunately, manufacturers rarely announce the features that their products do NOT have.

One needs to play a little "Sherlock Holmes" and look for "the dog that didn't bark."

If the Fantom Platform was USB Audio class compliant, Roland would mention it, usually in the specifications. And likely in the presentations, they would tout that it can be connected to an iPad.

Since they haven't, it's not.

You can also search the manuals for "Vendor" and/or "Generic" as they can indicate the lack of class compliance:
Vendor vs Generic.png
Vendor vs Generic.png (68.01 KiB) Viewed 4009 times
anotherscott

Post by anotherscott »

That screen shot tells the story. "Generic" means no driver is required, that's the class-compliant mode. "Vendor" means you have to use a driver supplied by the vendor (manufacturer), which allows you to support additional features that are not available in its class compliant mode. And here it even spells out that that mode is "MIDI only" (i.e. not audio). If Roland developed a custom driver, it is probably because some of the things they want it to do aren't supported by the stock class compliance.
Per

Post by Per »

Yes, the logic pro support. But class compliant audio + midi is pretty bog standard these days, there's no reason to only implement midi apart from laziness or to create a false sense of value for your own driver (and limit accessibility for other DAW vendors perhaps, but that only makes sense if you have leverage in the market which the Fantom does not).
zombietactics

Post by zombietactics »

FWIW: The "Vendor" driver for Windows is excellent.