Bugs Thread (Hardware/Firmware/Software)

The workstation, redefined
traimond

Re: Bugs Thread (Hardware/Firmware/Software)

Post by traimond »

On my new Roland Fantom 6 after having installed System 1.5 it worked perfectly till today but suddenly it appears on the screen this message: "Contents initialize press Enter Button Version 1.50 /1.50." Given ENTER it started to scan various function but after having checked sequencer it blocked after Pad samples and a "Contents Initialize Error appears Please turn off and try updating again" (that is not in the error messages list on the reference manual). It was impossible to do nothing else than switch off and try to update again. The procedure of updating was perfectly done but when I switched on the problem was the same. What can I do ? Does an hard reset exist ?
bazelman

Post by bazelman »

When setting a startup scene (System -> General -> Startup) to a scene different than A001, then restarting the Fantom, the startup scene will be as selected, however, when trying to write that scene, the Write Destination will be A001 and not the current scene. If via touch-screen a scene is manually selected and then trying to write, the Write Destination will be, as expected, whatever scene is selected.
andyr1960

Post by andyr1960 »

Using VA Oscillators in Mono Mode... Envelope Attack always restarts at zero - Grrrr!!!
It's really annoying, especially as the System-8 doesn't have this problem.
Mario Dombos

Post by Mario Dombos »

Hi
I assume something is not 100% correct with USB MIDI driver. When I play together with my DAW (Cubase), very often during performance, there is note stay playing and I can’t stop it, without special action. Then I chose “reset on stop” as an option in Cubase MIDI Preferences, then this helps, but I have to stop playback (since it is sending CC message “all note off” or something similar).
DAW is playing drums from the track 1, and I play bass- left hand, and organ right hand. Tracks for bass and organ are completely empty (also in list editor.) and muted, but anyway, some uncontrolled MIDI message for NOTEON is generated, and Fantom plays sound forever…
It is quite hard to explain but I’m sure something with USB-MIDI driver. If necessary, I can explain more if you need…
Regards
Oleq

Post by Oleq »

Mario Dombos wrote:Hi
I assume something is not 100% correct with USB MIDI driver. When I play together with my DAW (Cubase), very often during performance, there is note stay playing and I can’t stop it, without special action. Then I chose “reset on stop” as an option in Cubase MIDI Preferences, then this helps, but I have to stop playback (since it is sending CC message “all note off” or something similar).
DAW is playing drums from the track 1, and I play bass- left hand, and organ right hand. Tracks for bass and organ are completely empty (also in list editor.) and muted, but anyway, some uncontrolled MIDI message for NOTEON is generated, and Fantom plays sound forever…
It is quite hard to explain but I’m sure something with USB-MIDI driver. If necessary, I can explain more if you need…
Regards
Or the note-off command hasn't come through from Fantom to Cubase because of some flaw in the connection: maybe quality of the USB cable is not good enough, maybe the USB port is not optimal (its IRQ is shared)... Have you tried "pure" MIDI connection (leaving audio to USB)?
Mario Dombos

Post by Mario Dombos »

Oleq wrote: Or the note-off command hasn't come through from Fantom to Cubase because of some flaw in the connection: maybe quality of the USB cable is not good enough, maybe the USB port is not optimal (its IRQ is shared)... Have you tried "pure" MIDI connection (leaving audio to USB)?
Thanks Oleq for proposals, almost all I tested. Same problem.
But it is not Fantom USB driver responsible, or cable. It is Steinberg Groove Agent 5. I'm using it as a sequencer for some bass-phrases. The problem exists only when I'm using Groove Agent 5 and similar behaviour have my Motif XF keyboard. When I’m not using Groove Agent I didn’t notice this problem. I did not do statistical analyses, but 90% is Groove Agent…
lutefiasco

Post by lutefiasco »

(Hi, all - I asked this on a different site during The Great Outage..., but heard nothing).

Struggling with a damper pedal/zone issue. If I record a pattern on zone one using the damper pedal, and then switch to a different zone and use the damper pedal, it sometimes switches off the pedal on the pattern playing on zone one, until the pedal is reapplied in the playing pattern, or I re-press the pedal. This happens even if I turn off the hold pedal for zone 1 in the pedal ctrl menu. Thoughts on how to deal with pedal interference across zones and patterns? It certainly seems like a bug.
Pete-rock

Post by Pete-rock »

Scene Chain does not always work correct. Tonight I switched from one external scene (mainstage) to a scene with internal sounds and they had not the stored volume. After I switched the Fantom on/off it worked correctly.
pianoman41

Post by pianoman41 »

Bug: When editing a previously saved Chain, if you change the order of Scenes with delete/insert the Scene is correctly removed/inserted from the Chain and everything moves left or right accordingly, but the Scene name/number below the Chain doesn't change (refresh). You have to arrow left or right and then back again to see the name/number update correctly.
MarkkraM

Post by MarkkraM »

pianoman41 wrote:Does anyone else have their TR-REC lights at random times all flash light blue at once for a split second? I can't seem to duplicate on demand, but mine will all just strobe once and then back to normal. The flash is really fast and may only happen once during an hour's worth of playing/programming. Don't know if its a hardware glitch particular to my board or a global issue.
Yup definitily happening here too, no gamebreaking problems though..
FGM

Post by FGM »

It has been reported that glissando does not operate after using a/the portamento switch.
To make it work one needs to rotate E6 from glissando to portamento and back to glissando.
Also, changing the tone and returning to the original one makes the trick.
Per

Post by Per »

Aftertouch is sadly still broken with the 8 on 2.00 even with Max sensitivity to the new 127 level it’s either 0 at or 100%. It also still takes far too much pressure to engage to where it’s painful.
franc.weber

Post by franc.weber »

Sending a program change from an external device over USB in general mode does change the scene correctly on Fantom. However, when pushing the write button on Fantom it has the destination scene number still on the last manually selected scene. This can (and will) easily be overseen resulting in an overwrite of that last manually selected scene.

Yes, I do make back-ups but life would be much easier when this bug gets solved.
PaulGreen

Post by PaulGreen »

lutefiasco wrote:(Hi, all - I asked this on a different site during The Great Outage..., but heard nothing).

Struggling with a damper pedal/zone issue. If I record a pattern on zone one using the damper pedal, and then switch to a different zone and use the damper pedal, it sometimes switches off the pedal on the pattern playing on zone one, until the pedal is reapplied in the playing pattern, or I re-press the pedal. This happens even if I turn off the hold pedal for zone 1 in the pedal ctrl menu. Thoughts on how to deal with pedal interference across zones and patterns? It certainly seems like a bug.
I had the same issue. Replacing with a dual polarity pedal seemed to solve it for me. I set the pedal to normally open (switch is open when the pedal is down/activated). This allows you to select STANDARD in "hold pedal" setting.

However, seeing that this did not solve the problem with transferring patterns to Ableton Live (sustains throughout the pattern first loop then no sustain on second loop), I would say it is a bug in Fantom that needs to be addressed by Roland.
PaulGreen

Fantom Bricked When Reverting To Firmware 1.5

Post by PaulGreen »

Got a blank screen so I tried to go back to 2.0 and got a message on the screen that said"
WAVE EXPANSION MEMORY DAMAGED
PLEASE CONTACT CUSTOMER SERVICE

Update: Holding down a combination of buttons (SHIFT + EXIT + ENTER) finally brought up a window asking if I wanted to try and recover the expansion memory. That apparently reformatted the expansion memory and all was normal once rebooted.

From this I gather that reverting to earlier firmware for troubleshooting purposes corrupts the expansion memory. This isn't documented anywhere but should be.