Bugs Thread (Hardware/Firmware/Software)

The workstation, redefined
zombietactics

Re: Bugs Thread (Hardware/Firmware/Software)

Post by zombietactics »

Per wrote:Aftertouch is completely broken on the 8. Not only does it require immense pressure that will break the keybed and injure your hands to activate resulting in a hard 0-128 instantly with no slope, it requires even more pressure when more keys are being pressed!

Some calibration tools and options in the OS would solve this as clearly there’s a software component involved as well as the hardware (if it were hardware only then pressing extra keys would either make it easier to achieve aftertouch or result in no change in pressure)l so there’s no excuse to not fix this.
This seems to be an error/mistake/laziness on the part of Roland.

I've A/B checked some of the programs-in-common against a FA-06 ... and all of the parameters are the same, even those affecting after-touch, which is odd considering that the FA does not have an after-touch capable key-bed.

I've done only a little experimentation so far, but I am finding it possible to alter parameters in such a way that it makes after touch far more effective.
maphill

Bug with Parameter state in scene changes

Post by maphill »

I've found a couple of situations where changing from a scene to another scene fails to restore the state correctly in the 2nd scene depending on what I did in the 1st scene. In both cases if I adjust parameters in the 1st scene and then go to the 2nd scene, the 2nd scene will start with some parameters with the wrong values (e.g. not the values I saved the scenes with). However, if I don't touch the controls in the 1st scene and then transition to the 2nd scene then the 2nd scene will initialize correctly.

In both cases I had done some custom assignments of the Volume cc to the sliders or the footswitch.

It happens whether using the Scene Chain or just selecting scenes directly.

I'm guessing a parameter state or race problem. Regardless, I'm happy to provide Roland with these patches if they need them to reproduce (and fix!) the problem.

Curious if anybody else has experienced this.

Here's a video showing the bug in action: https://photos.app.goo.gl/oJTnLChinHDw7bT9A
maphill

Post by maphill »

And here's another issue:

If you twist the rotary encoders very quickly (the ones above the sliders), they fail to, um, encode. A slow or medium twist may take a 27 to a 50, but a super quick twist will only take it to 32, say.
RichardT

Post by RichardT »

maphill wrote:And here's another issue:

If you twist the rotary encoders very quickly (the ones above the sliders), they fail to, um, encode. A slow or medium twist may take a 27 to a 50, but a super quick twist will only take it to 32, say.
I'm sure I saw a video on YouTube where it was said that the knobs had 1024 steps of resolution and that if you moved them slowly the values changed at the full high resolution for precise control, but if you moved them quickly they changed in bigger steps so you could get to the new value faster.

Unfortunately, I've not been able to find that video so far.
maphill

Post by maphill »

Right, Richard, that is true....

... so the bug is that when you turn it really fast, the value changes less or none at all instead of more.
RichardT

Post by RichardT »

maphill wrote:Right, Richard, that is true....

... so the bug is that when you turn it really fast, the value changes less or none at all instead of more.
Ah!, I see what you mean, that does seem to be a bug.
maphill

Post by maphill »

Found another bug.

- Make 2 scenes, the 1st uses zones 1-4. The 2nd uses zones 1, 2, and 4.
- Play the 1 scene and hold the sustain pedal, then use the scene chain to select the 2nd scene.
- Let off the sustain pedal. Only zone 3 of the 1st scene is stuck on (the others release correctly).

I suspect that the issue relates to the fact that different zones are active in the 2nd scene vs the first. The logic that tracks when to pass the pedal up to the first scene may be incorrectly applying the current scene's active zones filter to the sustain signal going to the previous scene.

-Mark

Edit: Tested with 1.50 and it still occurs.
pianoman41

Post by pianoman41 »

v1.50 bug with SuperNatural tones: if you use Master Key Shift (Menu -> System -> Sound -> Master Key Shift) and adjust the pitch of the board up or down, when selecting SuperNatural tones they are adjusted by this pitch adjustment *twice* for some reason.

If you tune down a half-step like I do, dropping this value to -1 drops all tones by a half-step but drops SN tones down a whole-step. Dropping this value to -2 drops all tones by a whole-step, but drops SN tones down two whole-steps, etc. It works the same if you shift values up.

It appears as though it can be manually corrected in the individual Zone Edit -> Pitch -> Coarse Tune to compensate but that's a real pain, especially if you swap out tones in a Zone on a scene from SN to non-SN tones and don't realize it.
JeffB63

Post by JeffB63 »

v1.50 bug with SuperNatural tones: if you use Master Key Shift (Menu -> System -> Sound -> Master Key Shift) and adjust the pitch of the board up or down, when selecting SuperNatural tones they are adjusted by this pitch adjustment *twice* for some reason.
Yep. Same here.
pianoman41

Post by pianoman41 »

pianoman41 wrote:v1.50 bug with SuperNatural tones: if you use Master Key Shift (Menu -> System -> Sound -> Master Key Shift) and adjust the pitch of the board up or down, when selecting SuperNatural tones they are adjusted by this pitch adjustment *twice* for some reason.

If you tune down a half-step like I do, dropping this value to -1 drops all tones by a half-step but drops SN tones down a whole-step. Dropping this value to -2 drops all tones by a whole-step, but drops SN tones down two whole-steps, etc. It works the same if you shift values up.

It appears as though it can be manually corrected in the individual Zone Edit -> Pitch -> Coarse Tune to compensate but that's a real pain, especially if you swap out tones in a Zone on a scene from SN to non-SN tones and don't realize it.
This has been reported to Roland. They confirmed the behavior with their Fantom and are submitting it to Roland Engineering in Japan to incorporate a fix in the next firmware release.
maphill

Post by maphill »

Another bug/omission.

The reference guide shows a full suite of velocity range adjustments.
Shot from the Manual
Shot from the Manual
Screen.png (71.29 KiB) Viewed 8043 times
This includes the fade width for the the upper and lower velocity limits. This allows you do not have a sound at low velocities and then fade that zone in at higher and higher velocities, etc.

Instead, when I go to Zone Edit --> "Vel Range" tab, I see Velocity Sens, Velocity Max, and Vlocity Range Lower and Upper. And then there is some empty space, conspicuously room for about 2 columns, but no Upper and Lower Fade Range. And sure enough it behaves as if the fade range was set to zero.

This is on the FA and according to the manual is intended for the Fantom, but appears to be not there yet.

(Bummer, I need it this week...)
maphill

Post by maphill »

Another Scene Chain Issue:

Sometimes when going from one scene in the chain to the next the levels are not correct... if I click back and then forward in the chain then it is correct. I'm not sure what actions while playing the first scene translate into not setting up the slider levels correctly with the change to the next scene. I'll keep an eye on it.

-Mark
pianoman41

Post by pianoman41 »

I hope they add a feature to select whether or not to autoload a selected Chain. Sometimes when I'm playing live I need to get ready for the next Chain while playing the last song in the previous Chain. When you select a Chain, it automatically loads the first link in the Chain. I need to be able to select the Chain and have it ready to go but not to load the first one until I select it.

Chain Play needs to have an autoload toggle on/off for those who want it and those who don't.

Granted, this is a feature request and not a bug.
choralriff

Vocoder

Post by choralriff »

I set up my Vocoder on Zone 7, and it works fine. But if I press the layer buttons of any other zones, the vocoder disappears. Not only that, but even after deselecting those other zones, I can't bring the vocoder back.

UPDATE: Next evening vocoder is working fine. I don't know if it was just me or if something was really wrong. I'll leave this on here just in case someone else runs into it.
vdrumdude

Post by vdrumdude »

When connecting the Fantom-7 to the MX-1 via USB there seems to be heavy audio clipping/distortion.

I had to change the Fantom's default USB audio output level of 127 down to 31 to eliminate the clipping/distortion and match the levels of my other gear. Reducing the volume via the MX-1 input won't fix it since the distortion seems to be occurring within the Fantom-7 itself. All of my other Roland gear connected via USB to the MX-1 has zero distortion even at their max output volume and at the MX-1's max input volume.

Setup:
MX-1 (Ver.1.05)
- USB 1: Fantom-7 (Ver.1.50)
- USB 2: TR-08 (Ver.1.07)
- USB 3: MC-101 (Ver.1.20)
- Digital: TD-30KV (Ver.1.13)

Also my old Jupiter-80 which the Fantom-7 replaced didn't have this clipping/distortion issue.