Bugs Thread (Hardware/Firmware/Software)

The workstation, redefined
FGM

Re: Bugs Thread (Hardware/Firmware/Software)

Post by FGM »

Looks like reported duration of a note is faulty, STEP-REC...

N= note.
TL= true length.
RF= reported by FANTOM with gate 100%.

N=2/1 TL=8:000. RF= 8:000. OK.
N=1/1 TL=4:000. RF= 4:000. OK.
N=1/2 TL=2:000. RF=2:000. OK.
N=1/4 TL=1:000. RF=1:000. OK.
N=1/8 TL=0:500. RF=0:240. WRONG.
N=1/16 TL =0:250. RF=0:120. WRONG.
N=1/32 TL=0:125. RF=0:060. WRONG.
N=1/64 TL=0:0625. RF=0:030. WRONG.
MWBENGEL

Post by MWBENGEL »

traimond wrote:On my new Roland Fantom 6 after having installed System 1.5 it worked perfectly till today but suddenly it appears on the screen this message: "Contents initialize press Enter Button Version 1.50 /1.50." Given ENTER it started to scan various function but after having checked sequencer it blocked after Pad samples and a "Contents Initialize Error appears Please turn off and try updating again" (that is not in the error messages list on the reference manual). It was impossible to do nothing else than switch off and try to update again. The procedure of updating was perfectly done but when I switched on the problem was the same. What can I do ? Does an hard reset exist ?
Just got a Fantom 6 v1.5 Yesterday. Played around with it for a bit(10 hrs). Next day it freezes while trying to initialize Pad Samples. [ ERROR ] "Contents Initialize Error!" Please turn off and try updating again. Went to Guitar Center and formated 2 usb sticks from demo model since I didn't have one yet. Completed Update to v2.0 multiple times... Still Freezing. Some way to reset the pad samples or access the storage on keyboard? Another Issue I've heard of is that Downgrading Firmware to v1 then back to v2 has corrupted pad samples and somehow got a reset option pressing shift-exit-enter . Keyboard seams completely unresponsive. Any ideas?
FGM

Post by FGM »

Regardless my previous post...

Looks like reported duration of a note is faulty, STEP-REC...

N= note.
TL= true length.
RF= reported by FANTOM with gate 100%.

N=2/1 TL=8:000. RF= 8:000. OK.
N=1/1 TL=4:000. RF= 4:000. OK.
N=1/2 TL=2:000. RF=2:000. OK.
N=1/4 TL=1:000. RF=1:000. OK.
N=1/8 TL=0:500. RF=0:240. WRONG.
N=1/16 TL =0:250. RF=0:120. WRONG.
N=1/32 TL=0:125. RF=0:060. WRONG.
N=1/64 TL=0:0625. RF=0:030. WRONG.

It turns out Roland has made it clear through its support team that the numbers are TICKS, not seconds, milliseconds or any relationship.
They report TICKS. So if 1/4 note has 480 ticks (reported as the unit, 1:000), a 1/64 note will have 30, which are announced as 0:030. And a 1/8 will have 240, shown as 0:240.

Still hard to understand the reason to report fractions of note unit at 1/4, 1/2, 1/1 and 2/1 and then go for ticks at 1/8, 1/16, 1/32 and 1/64....but that is it.

Thanks very much, Roland.
Xios15

Randomly flashing sample pads, TRC REC and more

Post by Xios15 »

Has anyone else had issues where the sample pad or the TRC REC strip would randomly flash for a split second a colour it isn't supposed to be?
What about when it's powering off?

I've had this problem since the second week of owning the fantom 8 and had to have it repaired. Turns out one of the looms inside was loose or something, which in turn made the fantom power off just randomly... (this by the way was on top of the random flashy lights)

So I sent it off to the repair place and now it doesn't randomly turn off but all the random flashy lights are still a problem.

It was serviced and cleared to be sent back to be so it can't be the hardware's fault right?

Anyways I hope someone could shed some light on this problem and what is going on, and if it is a bug then get the Fantom team to put it on their to-do list (which I appreciate is big).
pianoman41

Re: Randomly flashing sample pads, TRC REC and more

Post by pianoman41 »

Xios15 wrote: 10:47, 12 April 2021 Has anyone else had issues where the sample pad or the TRC REC strip would randomly flash for a split second a colour it isn't supposed to be?
What about when it's powering off?

I've had this problem since the second week of owning the fantom 8 and had to have it repaired. Turns out one of the looms inside was loose or something, which in turn made the fantom power off just randomly... (this by the way was on top of the random flashy lights)

So I sent it off to the repair place and now it doesn't randomly turn off but all the random flashy lights are still a problem.

It was serviced and cleared to be sent back to be so it can't be the hardware's fault right?

Anyways I hope someone could shed some light on this problem and what is going on, and if it is a bug then get the Fantom team to put it on their to-do list (which I appreciate is big).
The TR-REC flashing lights has been reported since the first release and original firmware. Mine still does it (although not as often as it did with earlier firmware). Some have said they eliminated the problem by going into the system settings and adjusting the LED brightness so it's not at max. That did seem to help (although not completely eliminate my flashing lights).
Epiclectic

Post by Epiclectic »

My Fantom 8 has an issue where the click track continues playing after the sequencer stops, as if the click was set to "always on". This happens when set to "play only" and "play-rec". The only way to get it to stop is to go into system settings, and turn the click to a different setting. When set to "rec only", it works fine.
Am I missing something here or is this a known issue or just a problem with my unit?

I am currently on V2.1, but it also did this before I updated.
JeffB63

Post by JeffB63 »

Turned my Fantom 7 on this morning and got a black screen and totally unresponsive, including power button.

Pulled mains cable, waited 30 seconds, plugged back in, turned on and same thing again.

Rinse and repeat. This time it worked.

Worked flawlessly through lockdown but now I'm back to rehearsals in 2 weeks and this happens!

Latest firmware installed, no USB devices connected other than to PC, no user samples loaded, not using sample pads or sequencer.

I just want to play!
FGM

Post by FGM »

Check the speed or quality of the USB memory stick you might be using. I suffered a lock for that but not anymore.
If finally opt for a storage with capacity larger than 128, format it to FAT32 using a TV set (will be asked to format it upon first connection) or Windows via Disk Manager.
I am currently using SanDisk Ultra Fit 128 GB.
JeffB63

Post by JeffB63 »

FGM wrote: 07:08, 21 May 2021 Check the speed or quality of the USB memory stick you might be using. I suffered a lock for that but not anymore.
If finally opt for a storage with capacity larger than 128, format it to FAT32 using a TV set (will be asked to format it upon first connection) or Windows via Disk Manager.
I am currently using SanDisk Ultra Fit 128 GB.
Good point but I don't have a USB drive plugged in or indeed any USB devices.

No problems since. I hate intermittent faults. You think you're sorted and it come back to bite you.

Having to consider whether I dare use it live now. Got rid of my Kronos's (Kroni?) for similar problems in the past.
EdGe

Post by EdGe »

I had this happen the day after you posted about. I had the USB to my PC connected. I unplugged it, it booted fine. No memory stick.

I've booted it many times since with no recurrence.

intermittent, yes. Nerve wracking...
JeffB63

Post by JeffB63 »

EdGe wrote: 16:36, 29 May 2021 I had this happen the day after you posted about. I had the USB to my PC connected. I unplugged it, it booted fine. No memory stick.

Mmm. I wonder if it's a USB driver thing? Unfortunately I can't unplug it from the PC because I'm using it as my Audio/MIDI interface.
EdGe

Post by EdGe »

JeffB63 wrote: 17:15, 29 May 2021
EdGe wrote: 16:36, 29 May 2021 I had this happen the day after you posted about. I had the USB to my PC connected. I unplugged it, it booted fine. No memory stick.

Mmm. I wonder if it's a USB driver thing? Unfortunately I can't unplug it from the PC because I'm using it as my Audio/MIDI interface.
If JeffB63's experience is considered, it doesn't seem to be only related to connected by USB, or not. If you're suggesting it's completely internal to the Fantom (i.e. just the software/OS presence of it USB functionality, no connection to PC), perhaps...I wouldn't know how to test for that.
PaulGreen

Importing A Scene Duplicates Identical User Tones

Post by PaulGreen »

I have had as many as 7 instances of the same tone residing on my Fantom. As a result, I no longer import scenes to retrieve an older song.
At first I thought it might be duplicates arising from Roland Cloud downloads but this isn't the case. It's when you import a scene from a prior backup.

Fantom should at least have a "Find Duplicates" function or, better yet, bring back a version of the Librarian.
mostinif

Re: Importing A Scene Duplicates Identical User Tones

Post by mostinif »

PaulGreen wrote: 19:20, 29 August 2021 I have had as many as 7 instances of the same tone residing on my Fantom. As a result, I no longer import scenes to retrieve an older song.
At first I thought it might be duplicates arising from Roland Cloud downloads but this isn't the case. It's when you import a scene from a prior backup.

Fantom should at least have a "Find Duplicates" function or, better yet, bring back a version of the Librarian.
PaulGreen:
Let me go further: For a 3999 USD device, in my so so humble opinion, this behavor is unaceptable. The Fantom's software should realize this condition and take use the tones that already resides on banks. Or at worst case, the import command should tell us that "detect" a "duplicate tone" and leave to the user the opportunity to choose the imported one or the residet tone.

This isn't a difficult software functionality, and a undergraduate student of a Computer Sciences coursing System programming 101 can deal with it. It's a Rolands QA team call.

Regards,
Flavio Mostini
andywt21

Post by andywt21 »

With FW v2.50 random flashes of pads are back again. There was not a single flash for a very long time since v1.60 installation, but 2.50 broke it again. Despite being not so frequent and violent as it was before v1.60, they are still quite annoying. Roland, please fix it.