Vocoder issue

The workstation, redefined
Keith Bowie

Vocoder issue

Post by Keith Bowie »

Guys
Anybody know if you can record the vocoder into a DAW
I’ve tried to record into Ableton live 10 but all I get is a chord I don’t get the voice part of the vocoder.
My question is: Can it be done?
If so how did you do it?
Hope someone can help me with this
Thanks
Thomasovic

Re: Vocoder issue

Post by Thomasovic »

Hello
I'd like to bring up that topic again since I have the same problem.
I get the vocoder to work on the Fantom-0, but when it comes to recording (in Ableton) it only records the synth without the vocoder modulation. Is there a special channel routing necessary?

I'm grateful for any help :)
StickyTheStick

Post by StickyTheStick »

Hi , I have a Vocoder scene set-up on my Fantom 7 . Are you trying to record over USB or via the jack analogue outputs ?

Best , Rob
StickyTheStick

Post by StickyTheStick »

.... and you can hear The Vocoder on headphones ?
FGM

Post by FGM »

Yes, it is possible to record the vocoder of the Roland Fantom 8 into a DAW like Ableton Live 10. The issue you're experiencing may be related to the routing and setup of the Fantom 8 and Ableton Live. Here's a general guide on how to set it up:

1. Connect your Roland Fantom 8 to your computer via USB or through an audio interface.
2. In Ableton Live, create an audio track for recording the vocoder.
3. Set the input of the audio track to the appropriate input source from your Roland Fantom 8. This may be the USB input or the audio interface input where the Fantom 8 is connected.
4. Arm the audio track for recording by clicking on the record enable button (the circle button next to the track).
5. On the Roland Fantom 8, make sure the vocoder is activated and configured correctly. Check the Fantom 8's manual for specific instructions on using the vocoder.
6. Play your MIDI controller or input the desired MIDI notes into the track that is controlling the vocoder on the Fantom 8.
7. Start recording in Ableton Live and perform your vocals or input the desired audio into the vocoder.
8. Once recording is complete, stop the recording in Ableton Live and you should see the recorded vocoder audio on the track.

If you're still not getting the voice part of the vocoder recorded, ensure that the audio routing and settings on the Fantom 8 and Ableton Live are configured correctly. Also, make sure you have the necessary drivers and software updates for the Fantom 8 installed.

It's worth mentioning that the specific steps and settings may vary depending on your setup and the version of Ableton Live you are using. If you're still having trouble, referring to the Fantom 8's manual or contacting Roland support can provide you with more specific guidance.

AI.
😀😀😀😀
🎹🎹🎹🎹
lutefiasco

Post by lutefiasco »

I encountered a version of this issue a while back. I don't think I ever resolved it.
Sample Vocoder?
Post by lutefiasco » 15:31, 13 August 2022

Hi, all -

I was hoping to record a vocoder/vocal line to a sample pad. I thought I could get tricky by running a physical line from sub-1 out to audio-2 in, and then sample the audio input to a pad.

Microphone plugged into audio-1-in, Vocoder for audio-1 enabled (works fine with mic in audio-1 in and outputting to main), switched vocoder zone output to sub-1. Sample to pad was set to record from audio in. It recorded, but (quite oddly) just the carrier tone, not the vocoded audio from the microphone. I suspect it's simply not possible, but i thought I'd put it out there, in case someone more clever than I had figured out a way.
FGM

Post by FGM »

lutefiasco wrote: 21:08, 16 May 2023 I encountered a version of this issue a while back. I don't think I ever resolved it.
Sample Vocoder?
Post by lutefiasco » 15:31, 13 August 2022

Hi, all -

I was hoping to record a vocoder/vocal line to a sample pad. I thought I could get tricky by running a physical line from sub-1 out to audio-2 in, and then sample the audio input to a pad.

Microphone plugged into audio-1-in, Vocoder for audio-1 enabled (works fine with mic in audio-1 in and outputting to main), switched vocoder zone output to sub-1. Sample to pad was set to record from audio in. It recorded, but (quite oddly) just the carrier tone, not the vocoded audio from the microphone. I suspect it's simply not possible, but i thought I'd put it out there, in case someone more clever than I had figured out a way.
It sounds like you've attempted a creative approach to record a vocoder/vocal line to a sample pad on the Roland Fantom. However, based on your description, it appears that the recorded sample only captured the carrier tone, not the vocoded audio from the microphone. This outcome suggests that the specific routing and sampling capabilities of the Fantom may not support capturing the vocoded audio directly in the manner you described.

While the Fantom offers extensive routing and sampling capabilities, capturing the processed vocoded audio from the microphone input to a sample pad might not be possible using the built-in features alone. The internal vocoder is designed to process audio inputs in real-time and output the result through the main audio outputs.

However, it's worth mentioning that external audio recording equipment or software could potentially be used to capture the vocoded audio separately and then import it into the Fantom as a sample. This would involve routing the output of the Fantom to an external recording device or using a computer-based recording software to capture the audio while the Fantom is processing the vocoder effect. Once you have the vocoded audio recorded separately, you can import it into the Fantom as a sample and assign it to a pad.

If you have access to external recording equipment or software, you can explore this approach to capture and incorporate the vocoded audio into your sample pad on the Fantom. Experimenting with different routing options and recording setups may help you achieve the desired result.

AI.
😀😀😀😀
🎹🎹🎹🎹
lutefiasco

Post by lutefiasco »

FGM wrote: 22:57, 16 May 2023 The internal vocoder is designed to process audio inputs in real-time and output the result through the main audio outputs.
Thanks.

This, I suspect, is the issue OP is facing, as well. If it's only appearing over main analog outs, or ?possibly over USB in stereo/generic (rather than vendor/by zone).