I am ready to add pedals to my Fantom 8. Any advice, please ?

The workstation, redefined
FGM

I am ready to add pedals to my Fantom 8. Any advice, please ?

Post by FGM »

Thank you...
Tom_1970

Re: I am ready to add pedals to my Fantom 8. Any advice, please ?

Post by Tom_1970 »

I recently bought the Roland RPU-3 pedal unit and I use the EV-5 (which I bought for my Jupiter-80) as the fourth pedal.
It's not the cheapest solution, but it works perfect and I like the compactness of it.
203260464_2106016796207414_4536608237211648464_n.jpg
203260464_2106016796207414_4536608237211648464_n.jpg (23.75 KiB) Viewed 2435 times
FGM

Post by FGM »

Thank you, Tom_1970.

NUQTA

Post by NUQTA »

I have the same pedal setup, Tom_1970. When I purchased my FANTOM 6, I just decided to get all those pedals; even though I didn't have an immediate use for them. I mainly only use the right pedal of the RPU-3 for sustain. I need to put the others to use. How are you using yours?
mostinif

Post by mostinif »

Hi, FGM:

I also use RPU-3 pedal device. It´s a very quality set. Is not a simple ON/OFF switch but a variable position sensors. By default, Fantom maps HOLD/sustain Continuous Control messages (CC). Left and Center Pedals behave different and you should config in each scene how you you wish they work. It is very easy to change ( [shift]+push pedal as other controls).

Saludos,
Flavio
mostinif

Post by mostinif »

Hi NUQTA
NUQTA wrote: 00:23, 29 June 2021 I have the same pedal setup, Tom_1970. When I purchased my FANTOM 6, I just decided to get all those pedals; even though I didn't have an immediate use for them. I mainly only use the right pedal of the RPU-3 for sustain. I need to put the others to use. How are you using yours?
I use left pedal to change filter effects on some tones or, on SuperNatural Basses, to switch to "slap" instead use S1/S2/S3 freeing hands (as I use left hand to play just the bass). Or for wheel tone organs, to change the rotation speed. Tremolos,volume, panning, etc....you can map any CC message to it and find your own and personal "setup".

Best regards, Flavio.
FGM

Post by FGM »

Thank you all. Great.

On Sunday I will receive a DP-10 and a RPU-3 I have just ordered for 89,87€...(35+60,87 -6 coupon)
I might grab an EV-5 or EV-7 at a later stage.

DP-10 having a switch to configure it as half-damper or switch control. Initially thought DP-2 but DP-10 could serve as a back up should RPU-3 fail.

I was delaying the pedals since I always wanted a Montage and thought I should get the pedals from Yamaha so as to connect Fantom and Montage and use the keyboard and pedals from the Yamaha, specially for the SuperKnob, but I am sticking to the Fantom and nothing else. More than enough for the time being. It is not that I am firing the idea into the sun, just realising it is mid 2021, Montage too old to buy and too soon to see a replacement from Yamaha. So enjoying the pedals till 2026...

Still, I see no way to set RPU-3 as Soft, Sostenuto and Damper. Looks like Damper is fixed once connected to Hold/Right jack and no way to accommodate the others for true piano playing...? Have to check those CC# !!!! I see CC01 gets modulation, great for a scene I use it just five times and for a short while...

Still not yet possible to change keyboard switch groups from a pedal....?

Anyway...more fun about to arrive.

Fixed... CC 67&66 will do....
https://professionalcomposers.com/midi-cc-list/
Tom_1970

Post by Tom_1970 »

How are you using yours?
On the moment the right pedal is just sustain, the middle is start/stop and the left is breath controller.
The EV-5 is CC1.
I'm still working out what works best for me, but on the moment I'm quite happy with this configuration.

I had the EV-5 on the Jupiter-80 in together with a Yamaha foot switch (FC-5 which I very much prefer over the DP-2).
Before I connected the RPU-3 to the Fantom I tried it on the Jupiter-80 and that works so well that I want another set for the JP-80.
FGM

Post by FGM »

Yes, bearing in mind pedals can be configured for the system or per scene, the options seem endless...
FGM

Post by FGM »

Yes, they are here.
Great fun !!!!

DP-10 set on a scene to Scene Up.
And on the next scene also to Scene Up.
And on the third and final scene to Switch Arpeggio.

Lovely. No more need to adjust the harmony so as to be able to reach S3.

Freedom soon will come !!!!

Yes, it is Roland Fantom 8 !!!!
FGM

Post by FGM »

Yes, they are here.
Great fun !!!!

DP-10 set on a scene to Scene Up.
And on the next scene also to Scene Up.
And on the third and final scene to Switch Arpeggio.

Lovely. No more need to adjust the harmony so as to be able to reach S3. Thanks, S3, great job. So long...

Bye, bye little SwitchGroups...a chain of scenes is far, far much better. Master of the orchestration, scenes at your disposal, no more digging into partials to add more and more simple waves chained to a single channel previously left behind by others... Let them be true voices rising from their own zones from as many scenes as needed while using their perfectly matched outstanding effects!!!!

Fantom 8 Pedals RPU-3 & DP-10.jpg
Fantom 8 Pedals RPU-3 & DP-10.jpg (905.29 KiB) Viewed 2236 times

Yes, the wind is blowing
through my pedals.
No more sorrow, no more pain.
A different setting for every single scene !!!!
Freedom soon will come.

Yes, it is a Roland Fantom 8 !!!!
Tom_1970

Post by Tom_1970 »

I have a faint idea that you are happy with your pedals. ;-)
FGM

Post by FGM »

Bullseye !!!!
FGM

Post by FGM »

By the way, I have just discovered that in order to match faithfully the performance I was getting on a scene from the modulation lever I am committed to set the pedal that has been choosen to replace it to work just on a range from 0 to 100, since I started going full 0/127 (a new entry at the controls ) and found it behaved very differently, adding too great a roll-off when nearing the release point, my ears sufferering from a sudden disappearing effect as emptiness took control by breaking the beautiful cadence while sending it deep to the very center of the sphere before appropriately making good the promised voyage from zenith to nadir, regardless of me proceding very cautiously, going relentless and very, veeeery sloooowly indeeeeeed towards the foot off pedal state.

In the end, the scene is now greatly improved once I have hold, modulation and bending (up/down) capabilities on their knees and by my feet.
FGM

Post by FGM »

Oh, no, no, no....and no.

No need to restrict values to 0/100 once the pedal is set to SUSTAIN, previously configured as SWITCH.

Now working flawlessly at ranges 0/127.

The Sustain operating mode seems to give same service as the other mode, SWITCH, changing scene, increase, decrease..., that kind of things, but adding a more progressive results to other commitments, such as modulation.