Any Word On Next Fantom Firmware Update? 👀

The workstation, redefined
TokyoScarab

Any Word On Next Fantom Firmware Update? 👀

Post by TokyoScarab »

It feels like we're about due for another firmware update to the Fantom line. I'm still holding out for the JD-800 and vocal model expansions but who even knows at this point! That and I would still love the supernatural brass and drums or just a version of the Roland V-Drums engine.
Xfeten

Re: Any Word On Next Fantom Firmware Update? 👀

Post by Xfeten »

Nobody knows. I wish vocal designer and jd800 model expansions were avalaible for fantom series.

I wish too class compliance to Connect iOS devices to fantom.

And i-arp funcionality like in Júpiter or Juno x.

Or tr patterns transposables with keyboard, or user arpeggios.

But ...
nagyzoli76

Post by nagyzoli76 »

I think it would be more important to develop some basic functions. It is still not possible to create your own arpeggio, and the factory arpeggio is also out of sync when using the sequencer. The arpeggio often slips when I record with the sequencer. It wouldn't hurt to add arpeggios to several Zones at the same time. So I Arpeggio would be a perfect solution. I think we can forget about the linear sequencer, I don't think anything will come of it, because the Linear sequencer is already a thing of the past. Montage/MODX no longer uses a Linear Sequencer. They encourage you to use your DAW. Regardless, I think that Pattern Length Measures should be further expanded. 64 Measures is an improvement, but 256 Measures like what is in Montage would be nice. I don't like SMF loadings, only ones I made with another instrument from my own songs. I can load them divided at the moment because of the 64 measures. 256 Measures would be more than enough for even a 15-minute song. So that's all about the sequencer. Of course, there could also be a tempo track and an Audio Track, but that's already the Linear sequencer. This is not what the new synthesizer/workstation instruments are aiming for. What I would consider a better idea than the Model Expansion would be a V-Synth Model Expansion. The Sampler is not perfect in the new Fantom either. V-Synth's famous VariPhrase feature could replace the lack of sample slicing, as VariPhrase works perfectly for drum loops, vocal stuff, as the samples are stretched so the loop has the same speed everywhere and only the pitch changes. This would be a very big throw from Roland Fantom in development. I could take the full Oscillator section (SAW, SQUARE, TRIANGLE, SINE, RAMP, JUNO, HQ-SAW, HQ-SQUARE, NOISE, LA-SAW, LA-SQUARE, SUPER-SAW, FEEDBACK-OSC, X-MOD-OSC). With these improvements, the Fantom would fulfill everything that is only a dream. Many people mention the SuperNatural additional sounds, which is also a good idea. Personally, I consider the JD800 and Vocal Designer less important. Many JD800 sound samples are already included in Fantom.
TokyoScarab

Post by TokyoScarab »

I always feel like this is an unpopular opinion, but I honestly like the pattern sequencer. I do wish you could lay down audio tracks like in the Fantom G and Fantom X. I still cannot fathom how people complain about the measure limit per pattern and how that's not enough time for song composition. Under the old model of 32 bars per pattern, assuming you used all 16 channels for all 8 patterns, that gives you 256 total measures. At 120bpm, that makes for a song length of 8m32s. That's also assuming none of your song repeats at all. With the new 64 bar length, that doubles this to 17m4s. This method is assuming the absolute worst case scenario and also the most inefficient use of the sequencer space. So how in god's name do people feel compelled that they somehow need more space? What are you making exactly? In my own personal use with the Fantom, I barely get up to using 8 different instrument tracks for most compositions and barely touch the total amount of total patterns before the overall mix has become saturated with all the sounds I need. I do wish patterns could have their own independent time signature and tempo though. Not sure why this wasn't implemented in the last update. With everything being compartmentalized as patterns, I'm not sure why this couldn't be done. I'm also not sure why they couldn't have just given us a linear sequencer mode. It seems like it would be easy to implement. Every scene is already using the same amount of allocated space for sequencing. How you interact with that space is all up to the software. So instead of breaking it up into 8 parts per channel, just have it be recorded to as one large chunk instead.

I think the model expansions do hold some amount of importance because the Fantom is supposed to be Roland's flagship keyboard. So how is it other keyboards have features that the Fantom does not? This would make sense if there were significant hardware differences, but everything operates on Zen Core so there's seemingly zero excuse to hold out on having these expansions be excluded. I've examined both the Fantom and Zenology versions of the model expansion files in a hex editor and they're byte for byte identical with the exception of about 100 bytes that are different but in the same exact spots where they're different. 100 sounds like a lot but when 99% of it is the same, it's only going to be minor things that most likely relate to differences in Zen Core / Zenology as well as license and checksum info. This is true in every one I've been able to compare: Jupiter 8, SH-101, JX8P, and Juno 106. Just because the Fantom contains some JD800 samples doesn't mean you're going to get the same results as with Roland's own emulation via something like the JD-08 or even just the factory patches, for example. That would take a long time to try to recreate especially if you just want quick access to those types of sounds.
nagyzoli76

Post by nagyzoli76 »

I didn't mean that the JD800 wasn't good, or Vocal Designer, but if it was an update, the first and most important thing would be to improve the Fantom functions. Creating your own arpeggio is not only a basic function of Workstation, because the Jupiter X and Juno X I Arpeggio functions can be used perfectly for this, so I would like to see this in the update development. The sequencer is not a problem for me, it does not bother me that it is not a linear sequencer. I wrote 256 measures as a suggestion because it is more than enough for a song that does not consist of parts. I always play songs that have choruses and repetitive parts, so it doesn't bother me. I like the sequencer in the new Fantom, but there were songs that would have been nice to have more Measures, but I continued into the other Pattern, so that wasn't a problem. This would be a more practical solution, if you want to turn off this Measures, or 256 would be the maximum value. The effectiveness of the sequencer also depends on who uses it for which song. For me, 64 measures is practically enough for the parts, maybe there were two songs in which I needed more, but I managed it anyway. I don't use a DAW, but if you create a song there and insist that the Fantom sequencer plays the song. then you can create the song with the DAW (Logic, Ableton) as with a linear sequencer, and then save it as a MIDI file. It certainly can, because Cubase knows it too. You load this MIDI file into Fantom and all you have to do is assign the right sounds to the song. I haven't used it, but it's also an option. This is how I solved my songs made with MODX. MIDI import into Fantom. Development is primary, Model Expansion is extra. What could be done is to add the option to the update, as before, to be able to accommodate the Model Expansion expansions. Whoever needs the extra should pay for it. N/Zyme was already like that. The other Model Expansions were necessary, this was also a marketing thing, because the Fantom had to be made more salable, because when it was released in 2019, there was not much difference between the Fantom and Roland's FA skills. Both could only load samples to the PAD, there was no Multisample. It didn't even have SuperNatural sounds, although when it was released, Roland already indicated that it was a developing platform, and indeed it was, because it piqued my interest because of the things it added, and I really like what it has. If they put I Arpeggio in the update, I would be completely satisfied. The sequencer is not a problem for me, I use it. Since I bought it, I've made more than 40 songs with it, I didn't need a DAW. If we're talking about a free extra that isn't a feature upgrade, I'd like a second volume SuperNatural Acoustic Tone upgrade. Ed Diaz mentioned in one of the videos that it is the first volume that is currently included. I don't use these sounds excessively, but it would be really cool to add all the SuperNatural Drums, Acoustic, and Electric Guitars, additional brass, ethnic sounds, etc.
Xfeten

Post by Xfeten »

21th August. Nothing to see by now.
aobeezy415

Post by aobeezy415 »

Remember this is Roland... I hate to say it, but pray for the best and expect the worst... They have never been very quick to roll out new updates as frequently as one would hope to meet the needs of the community. Just speaking from experience as I have owned All Fantom boards (with the exception of the FA-06). I'm sure we'll see a new board in the next 2 years. We will probably get a substantial update before EOL. Hope we get some new features and improved functionality that is current.
skeeter135

Post by skeeter135 »

aobeezy415 wrote: 07:21, 28 August 2022 Remember this is Roland... I hate to say it, but pray for the best and expect the worst... They have never been very quick to roll out new updates as frequently as one would hope to meet the needs of the community. Just speaking from experience as I have owned All Fantom boards (with the exception of the FA-06). I'm sure we'll see a new board in the next 2 years. We will probably get a substantial update before EOL. Hope we get some new features and improved functionality that is current.
Guess there is no use holding my breath. I've got the Fantom Xr and update 2.0 is not available, so update 2.02 is out of the question. Think I have buyers remorse. Roland should have a department that handles nothing but software updates. Still cant win 10 to work. Tried jumping through all the hoops posted here but to no avail.
NUQTA

Post by NUQTA »

I like to think that with the release of the budget Fantom series that Roland has stated its commitment to developing the Fantom platform.
TokyoScarab

Post by TokyoScarab »

One can only hope
User2021

Post by User2021 »

Any update on this? Hopefully theres another update this year!
TokyoScarab

Post by TokyoScarab »

Still no firmware update news that I'm aware of. I know sometimes Ed and Scott will kind of tease something in those live streams they do, but I'm not aware of anything.
pianoplayah

Post by pianoplayah »

I only recently got my Fantom 8 and am super excited—but I would for sure settle for a better search/filter function in the UI in a firmware update. Only able to search the scene names? What's the point of writing memos if you can't search them, or color coding if you can't filter by color? You can filter by stars, why not other parameters like tones/effects used? Seems very lacking to me.
Fa-tulist

Post by Fa-tulist »

I will be so disappointed if they don’t add Variphrasing into Fantom.

The grid sequencer is not complete until it gets Variphrasing! Not only would it make the sequencer concept whole with time stretching capabilities, it would be immensely powerful addition to the similarly lacking sampler section, as well as be super powerful sound design tool.

In fact, I am super disappointed, that it isn’t already in Fantom, but now that the SP-404mk2 got Variphrasing algorithm update, I will forever be salty at Roland, if their most expensive workstation ”platform” doesn’t get it, even though it would be in dire need for it. It would solve most of Fantoms issues with one swift stroke!

Please Roland, make it so!
Yannick.fr

Post by Yannick.fr »

Still looking for iarp (or custom arp), it would make my life so easier……