DIY Fantom Midi Booster

The workstation, redefined
xp30

DIY Fantom Midi Booster

Post by xp30 »

I am currently experimenting with a Raspberry Pi Zero that is connected to my Fantom. It is a headless linux computer that receives MIDI messages from the Fantom and sends MIDI messages back to the Fantom. The basic idea is to extend the functionality of the Fantom. Let me make two specific examples:
  • On the Fantom itself, it is currently not possible to use a foot switch to change keyboard switch groups. However, it can send CC messages. An external micro-processor could respond to these CC messages by sending MIDI messages to the Fantom that change the keyboard switch groups.
  • Triggering pad samples from the keyboard is limited, because they are always velocity sensitive and in gate mode. However, an external micro-processor could transform the note-on/note-off events to address both issues.
I looked at some free iOS MIDI apps, however, I could not find anything that is flexible enough. For this reason, I started experimenting with a Raspberry Pi Zero, and some functions are already working.

Does anyone else find such DIY projects interesting? Or are you using existing tools/software to accomplish something similar?
Raspberry Pi Zero on Fantom
Raspberry Pi Zero on Fantom
fantom-and-raspberry-pi-zero.jpg (222.43 KiB) Viewed 1364 times
FGM

Re: DIY Fantom Midi Booster

Post by FGM »

xp30 wrote: โ†‘20:41, 11 August 2023 I am currently experimenting with a Raspberry Pi Zero that is connected to my Fantom. It is a headless linux computer that receives MIDI messages from the Fantom and sends MIDI messages back to the Fantom. The basic idea is to extend the functionality of the Fantom. Let me make two specific examples:
  • On the Fantom itself, it is currently not possible to use a foot switch to change keyboard switch groups. However, it can send CC messages. An external micro-processor could respond to these CC messages by sending MIDI messages to the Fantom that change the keyboard switch groups.
  • Triggering pad samples from the keyboard is limited, because they are always velocity sensitive and in gate mode. However, an external micro-processor could transform the note-on/note-off events to address both issues.
I looked at some free iOS MIDI apps, however, I could not find anything that is flexible enough. For this reason, I started experimenting with a Raspberry Pi Zero, and some functions are already working.

Does anyone else find such DIY projects interesting? Or are you using existing tools/software to accomplish something similar?

fantom-and-raspberry-pi-zero.jpg
Congratulations, indeed.

Truly interesting, but too late...for me.

I went switching scenes as soon as I confronted the lack of a pedal command to switch groups. So instead of enjoying what
appeared a great addition, the switch groups, but failed to be
well implemented from the usable point, in my humble opinion, I went making songs that extended for as many as five scenes.

S3 was assigned to increase the scene, calling for the left hand to be near it at the critical time...Regardless, the orchestration was
much better and easier to be made via five scenes than via 16 zones awaiting to be cherry picked to build those switch groups.

At first, having switch groups sounds nice, but using scenes allows the piano in zone 5 of scene 1 to be changed for a piano in zone 14 of scene 3 because that part calls for a Steinway instead of a Yamaha....and so one with any voice.

Then, when sticking to scenes, I realized I wouldn't be able to record any song from start to end, unless I used external aid, via software. Exactly after linear recording was ultimately increased from 32 to 64 measures....Ohhhh.

The software being used, merely recording my songs from scene one to scene five, was somehow yelling out it was just a shadow of any DAW out there, so I payed attention and with utmost interest I started testing as many DAWs as I could...

BULL'S EYE: exactly what I had been looking for along many years.

No way back.

๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€
๐ŸŽน๐ŸŽน๐ŸŽน๐ŸŽน
xp30

Post by xp30 »

I am thinking primarily about scenarios without DAW. Most importantly performing live with a simple setup around the Fantom. Some additional examples for things that would be possible with a DIY Midi Booster, and that are otherwise difficult or impossible:
  • Changing VTW rotary speed using aftertouch (latching). For such a use case, aftertouch on the Fantom works well enough.
  • Changing VTW rotary speed using the pitch bend lever, even if zone 2 is not selected.
  • Changing keyboard switch groups using aftertouch.
  • Changing keyboard switch groups using the pitch bend lever.
Aftertouch is an interesting source for such changes, because it can be controlled without moving the hands. The pitch bend lever is also interesting (when it is not needed for pitch changes), because it is easy to reach.
FGM

Post by FGM »

xp30 wrote: โ†‘15:48, 14 August 2023 I am thinking primarily about scenarios without DAW. Most importantly performing live with a simple setup around the Fantom. Some additional examples for things that would be possible with a DIY Midi Booster, and that are otherwise difficult or impossible:
  • Changing VTW rotary speed using aftertouch (latching). For such a use case, aftertouch on the Fantom works well enough.
  • Changing VTW rotary speed using the pitch bend lever, even if zone 2 is not selected.
  • Changing keyboard switch groups using aftertouch.
  • Changing keyboard switch groups using the pitch bend lever.
Aftertouch is an interesting source for such changes, because it can be controlled without moving the hands. The pitch bend lever is also interesting (when it is not needed for pitch changes), because it is easy to reach.
But of course.

The thing is that as you grow you go finding barriers here
and there, as the ones you are overcoming, and the hardware, even the most astounding and SOTA, starts behaving as a drag chute, not being of any further help, while other technology do offer
endless possibilities. And when I say endless I mean endless, as
I am still to find something stopping me...

As for ways to control, I am most of the time using a script
of mine+AI that allows a key to function when within a velocity
range, then play or remain silent, and then triggering up to five other MIDI notes at either its real or at a selected velocity OUT (0-127). It therefore allows switching playing techniques, setting a given variation, use a specific layer of the voice regardless of the actual velicuty input, or simply adding notes to build a chord.

๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€
๐ŸŽน๐ŸŽน๐ŸŽน๐ŸŽน
frank-the-bassman

Post by frank-the-bassman »

While this topic says 'DIY' in the headline and nothing beats the fun of building your own solution I would also like to point out that there are ready-to-go devices which do exactly this. It is called midi translation, so searching vor 'midi translator' will find these. I used a bomebox to extend the abilities of a octatrack and it works great. The bomebox can do A LOT more than pure replacing one midi command with another..it's an amazing piece of tech, especially if you are a technical person.

Good luck with your project!
xp30

Post by xp30 »

I am still experimenting with some ideas, and I found an interesting way of using momentary switch pedals. By default, it acts as a momentary pedal. If I quickly press and release it (tap), then it acts as a latching pedal. And if I do it twice (double-tap), then it activates a secondary function.

I am currently doing it for a different keyboard. However, let's make an example for the Fantom: Keyboards switch groups:
  • Depressing the pedal changes the keyboard switch groups momentarily.
  • A tap moves to the next keyboard switch group (or alternatively skipping one).
  • A double-tap changes the direction (or alternatively moves back to the first one).
It allows me to do multiple things with a single pedal. The "gestures" are often more intuitive than using multiple pedals. In particular being able to use it for both momentary and latching changes.

I wonder if there are any existing keyboards that can do something like that out of the box.
neomad

Post by neomad »

Amazing stuff.

Just wondering if there is a way to have midi plugins with a device lilke that, like for instances, arpeggiators, processors, etc for each part. I am not talking about a KARMA but why not? this could be easily complement the existing (amazing) sequencer
xp30

Post by xp30 »

neomad wrote: โ†‘11:58, 11 October 2023 Just wondering if there is a way to have midi plugins with a device lilke that, like for instances, arpeggiators, processors, etc for each part. I am not talking about a KARMA but why not? this could be easily complement the existing (amazing) sequencer
Technically, all of that would be possible. I think MainStage has these types of MIDI plugins, and if it can be done with MainStage, then it should also be possible to do it with a micro-computer.

Having said that, I am interested in headless units that are only programmed/configured once, and not once per song. For more sophisticated use cases, I would instead consider buying or creating an iPad app.

Put differently: I try to keep it as simple as possible, with only the features that really help me, and without having to think about it while using the keyboard. The canonical example for me is: Momentarily turning on/off parts with a foot pedal. This feature somehow exists on some Yamaha and Korg keyboards. Unfortunately, it is not possible with the Fantom itself. I often wonder if I am part of a small group of people who use such features. I am glad that the Nord Stage 4 added it, which makes me more optimistic that we will see better support on more keyboards.
FGM

Post by FGM »

xp30 wrote: โ†‘18:03, 11 October 2023
neomad wrote: โ†‘11:58, 11 October 2023 Just wondering if there is a way to have midi plugins with a device lilke that, like for instances, arpeggiators, processors, etc for each part. I am not talking about a KARMA but why not? this could be easily complement the existing (amazing) sequencer
Technically, all of that would be possible. I think MainStage has these types of MIDI plugins, and if it can be done with MainStage, then it should also be possible to do it with a micro-computer.

Having said that, I am interested in headless units that are only programmed/configured once, and not once per song. For more sophisticated use cases, I would instead consider buying or creating an iPad app.

Put differently: I try to keep it as simple as possible, with only the features that really help me, and without having to think about it while using the keyboard. The canonical example for me is: Momentarily turning on/off parts with a foot pedal. This feature somehow exists on some Yamaha and Korg keyboards. Unfortunately, it is not possible with the Fantom itself. I often wonder if I am part of a small group of people who use such features. I am glad that the Nord Stage 4 added it, which makes me more optimistic that we will see better support on more keyboards.
If trying to keep it as simple as possible is part of the goal, layer the zones across as many scenes you need and use a pedal or S1, S2, S3 or DEC, INC or a finger on screen to move across them.

No need to get tangled within a single scene.

If mixing Fantom and DAW, simple channel management can certainly do it, be it via changing the channel for new instruments while leaving behind the others or by layering the new channel so that those new instruments are added to the ones already in use.
Each option is just a button press away: either the one turning the new channel as the main, then using just the new channel, or the one layering the new channel to be added, then using both channels, one layered. This assumes Advanced option is active, not Basic, under System settings.

My arrangement goes...

First Master track (channel 1)> several tracks with scripts > VST1.
Second Master track (channel 2)>several tracks with scripts > VST2.
Third Master track (channel 3)>several tracks with scripts > VST3.
Etc...

This allows controlling each VST down to a per key assignment.
If I press...,add a chord...
If I press...,transpose
If I press...,play that one instead.
If I press...,switch variation.
If I press...,halt arpeggiator.
Etc...

Astounding...

๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€
๐ŸŽน๐ŸŽน๐ŸŽน๐ŸŽน
xp30

Post by xp30 »

FGM wrote: โ†‘15:19, 12 October 2023 If trying to keep it as simple as possible is part of the goal, layer the zones across as many scenes you need and use a pedal or S1, S2, S3 or DEC, INC or a finger on screen to move across them.

Let me make an example to make it clearer: Africa by Toto, and thinking about the intro that consists of synth brass and the kalimba/marimba combination. The intro can be played in many different ways. One way is shown in the following video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjBZjgU_Ccc

In this video, Francis uses a split. Unfortunately, there is one note overlap. His solution is to put the B on the C, so that the ranges no longer overlap. An alternative would have been to move the kalimba/marimba combination one octave higher.

For me, these options are not easy to play. They require some practice.

I am doing it differently. I move the kalimba/marimba combination one octave lower, and I use the momentary foot pedal to switch between the synth brass and the kalimba/marimba combination, once per measure during the first 8 measures, and another 20 times through the rest of the song. For me this makes it much easier to play.

I guess some people might use velocity switching instead of a foot pedal, to quickly switch between different tones in overlapping key ranges. However, for me, that requires even more practice and attention.
FGM

Post by FGM »

xp30 wrote: โ†‘20:52, 12 October 2023
FGM wrote: โ†‘15:19, 12 October 2023 If trying to keep it as simple as possible is part of the goal, layer the zones across as many scenes you need and use a pedal or S1, S2, S3 or DEC, INC or a finger on screen to move across them.

Let me make an example to make it clearer: Africa by Toto, and thinking about the intro that consists of synth brass and the kalimba/marimba combination. The intro can be played in many different ways. One way is shown in the following video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjBZjgU_Ccc

In this video, Francis uses a split. Unfortunately, there is one note overlap. His solution is to put the B on the C, so that the ranges no longer overlap. An alternative would have been to move the kalimba/marimba combination one octave higher.

For me, these options are not easy to play. They require some practice.

I am doing it differently. I move the kalimba/marimba combination one octave lower, and I use the momentary foot pedal to switch between the synth brass and the kalimba/marimba combination, once per measure during the first 8 measures, and another 20 times through the rest of the song. For me this makes it much easier to play.

I guess some people might use velocity switching instead of a foot pedal, to quickly switch between different tones in overlapping key ranges. However, for me, that requires even more practice and attention.
ยฟHis solution is to put the B on the C and, while he broke a string, no one noticed ?
๐Ÿคช๐Ÿคช๐Ÿคช๐Ÿคช

Yours is a great way to solve it, indeed.

Then comes the "change scene way", placing each voice along the keyboard range we wanted at first, but on different scenes.

Then move between scenes via scene up, scene down or INC, DEC or < , > or ^ , etc ...depending if scenes are on screen as tiles or being offered on a chain and its placement along the chain (next, previous, first, last).

๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€
๐ŸŽน๐ŸŽน๐ŸŽน๐ŸŽน
xp30

Post by xp30 »

I am now experimenting with a variant with buttons and leds.

It still uses the same micro-computer, and it can be used as either a USB host or USB device. Currently, I am using it as a USB device, and it is connected to and powered from one of the three USB device ports on the Fantom. That means it is basically a MIDI controller. However, in contrast to most other MIDI controllers, it can be placed where I need it because of its size, and it can send more complicated MIDI messages than most standard MIDI controllers.

Currently, the 3 buttons control the zone velocity-max setting on the first 8 parts, and I am using it as an alternative to keyboard switch groups. The 3rd button also controls the rotary speed.

keybow.jpg
keybow.jpg (79.14 KiB) Viewed 513 times
FGM

Post by FGM »

xp30 wrote: โ†‘08:57, 21 October 2023 I am now experimenting with a variant with buttons and leds.

It still uses the same micro-computer, and it can be used as either a USB host or USB device. Currently, I am using it as a USB device, and it is connected to and powered from one of the three USB device ports on the Fantom. That means it is basically a MIDI controller. However, in contrast to most other MIDI controllers, it can be placed where I need it because of its size, and it can send more complicated MIDI messages than most standard MIDI controllers.

Currently, the 3 buttons control the zone velocity-max setting on the first 8 parts, and I am using it as an alternative to keyboard switch groups. The 3rd button also controls the rotary speed.

keybow.jpg
Looks very nice.

To infinity and beyond...

I have now set S3, Pedal 1 and Switch Groups to the way
I go changing scenes, using each depending of the fingering.

Also as a way to change MIDI channels.

Sadly, using Swith Groups always layer the new channel (Zone)
and this might result in issues at times.

Anyway...

๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€
๐ŸŽน๐ŸŽน๐ŸŽน๐ŸŽน