Selecting note in a drum kit when in DAW

The workstation, redefined
Camaro

Selecting note in a drum kit when in DAW

Post by Camaro »

Fantom 7 : When I am in DAW/Cubase, why cant I select/edit the current note in a drum kit by pressing a key on the keyboard when sound/local is off? Can anybody else select a key and edit the drum kit while in DAW? When I turn sound/local on, I can select a note on my keys in a drum kit and edit. But then I hear double sound...
FGM

Re: Selecting note in a drum kit when in DAW

Post by FGM »

Camaro wrote: 23:29, 23 September 2023 Fantom 7 : When I am in DAW/Cubase, why cant I select/edit the current note in a drum kit by pressing a key on the keyboard when sound/local is off? Can anybody else select a key and edit the drum kit while in DAW? When I turn sound/local on, I can select a note on my keys in a drum kit and edit. But then I hear double sound...
I cannot try it as my DAW ( https://www.reaper.fm/download.php
) is not connecting to Fantom via the
DAW CTRL button, if this is what you are saying.

If not, I don't quite understand, as I cannot see any relationship.

Anyway, to test it surpassing any reasoning neglecting that possibility, I launched my DAW and went editing a drum kit assigned to zone 10 with no issues at all, local off.

😀😀😀😀
🎹🎹🎹🎹
ChrisDuncan

Re: Selecting note in a drum kit when in DAW

Post by ChrisDuncan »

Camaro wrote: 23:29, 23 September 2023 Fantom 7 : When I am in DAW/Cubase, why cant I select/edit the current note in a drum kit by pressing a key on the keyboard when sound/local is off? Can anybody else select a key and edit the drum kit while in DAW? When I turn sound/local on, I can select a note on my keys in a drum kit and edit. But then I hear double sound...
Hey, Camaro.

I use Cubase Pro 11 and I'd be happy to test on my rig. However, I'm not really sure what it is that you're trying to do. So, here are a few questions to help me get an idea of what I need to do. Apologies if they're obvious, maybe I just haven't had enough coffee today.

1. why cant I select/edit the current note in a drum kit by pressing a key on the keyboard when sound/local is off?

Are you talking about a MIDI track in Cubase with data already recorded? When you say "edit" it makes me think you already have a MIDI part, but I don't want to make assumptions.

When you say pressing a key on the keyboard, are you talking about the Fantom or Cubase's virtual keyboard? In Cubase's piano roll editor, you can usually click a note on the piano keyboard at left and it will sound through the instrument if audition is on. Is this what you're talking about?

I'm trying to figure out if you're trying to do something in Cubase and get a certain result, or if you're trying to do something on the Fantom to get that result. I'm also not sure what the desired result is.

2. Can anybody else select a key and edit the drum kit while in DAW?

Not trying to be pedantic, but here you're talking about editing the drum kit, which of course is a different thing than editing a note in a drum part. Which did you mean?

If you could give me more specifics on what you're trying to do I'll poke around a little in my setup and see if I can help you get there. I'm new to the Fantom, but I've been using Cubase for something like 20 years. Maybe I'll see a setting you missed.