Fantom 6,7,8 v3.02

The workstation, redefined
Justlase80

Fantom 6,7,8 v3.02

Post by Justlase80 »

Respectfully, I think Roland has made some poor choices and their new CEO and marketing strategy has seemingly done Roland an injustice.

I really like the Fantom and is my go to keyboard now for sale going toward a Yamaha M8x. It took a competitors release of the M8x to provide a poor v3.02 update supposively fixing the aftertouch issue we waited 3- years for. -proves public opinion does not matter anymore.

Roland basically admitted a problem with their Fantom-8 hardware right when the incredible M8x is released in hopes of saving the platform. I don’t know what happened at Roland but I sense the Fantom will be discontinued soon as it won’t be able to keep up with this new competitors release.

It would have made sense for Roland to fix the various poor programming issues of the Fantom and offer something new after users have waited since 2019 for a fix to the aftertouch and two years hoping real features would have been added that are common to other synths.

I canceled RCM as it is malware, bulky, and does not cater to hardware buffs. They focus on media using words to build up a subpar synth. And resource heave cloud synth stuff you really never own.

This latest 3.02 update has solidified my parting with Roland.

I will sell all my licenses with the Fantom I purchased and invested so heavily in.

Thinks it’s time to move on.

RIP Roland… it was fun while it lasted.

Drop or turn your eyes away from RCM stuff. It’s leading to your downfall.
xp30

Re: Fantom 6,7,8 v3.02

Post by xp30 »

Copied from the download website linked from https://www.roland.com/us/products/fantom_series/specs/:

[ Ver.3.02 ] OCT 2023
[ Functionality Improvements ]
  • Improved the stability of pronunciation when layering multiple tones.
  • Added adjustment parameters related to Aftertouch.
    The settings are made in [MENU] -> <SYSTEM> -> KEYBOARD -> Aftertouch Pressure Range.
    The larger the setting value, the better the Aftertouch control.
[ Bug Fixes ]
  • Minor bugs were fixed.
xp30

Post by xp30 »

xp30 wrote: 18:14, 10 October 2023 [ Ver.3.02 ] OCT 2023
[ Functionality Improvements ]
  • Improved the stability of pronunciation when layering multiple tones.
What is the "stability of pronunciation"? Is that about notes cutting off / polyphony?

Is this the huge update people were talking about?
danx

Post by danx »

What a joke...
octavian7000

Post by octavian7000 »

now V3.02 aftertouch it works much better has many intermediate values compared to why it was only 0-1 before . with system setting value 10. Roland Fantom gives good performance after you learn to use it well in 2-3 years.
Mike A

Post by Mike A »

Such a shame you are selling your Fantom, just as Roland announced new model expansions, and that ACB is coming to Fantom.....

https://articles.roland.com/roland-engi ... 1R5p7aiqgc
aobeezy415

Post by aobeezy415 »

happyfantomuser

Post by happyfantomuser »

Hey guys. This isn't the big update! : ) See more here!

The important part is....

"What can FANTOM users look forward to soon?

The FANTOM Development Team has been working hard to unveil a massive breakthrough: bringing Analog Circuit Behavior (ACB) to FANTOM. We are excited to share this, plus other new expansions and features, with all FANTOM users very soon."

Update drops in November!
mostinif

Post by mostinif »

Hi,
happyfantomuser wrote: 22:05, 10 October 2023 Hey guys. This isn't the big update! : ) See more here!

The important part is....

"What can FANTOM users look forward to soon?
It's hard to understand the fact Roland releases after a year and half a bug fix firmware, when they're promising bells and whistles.

Roland should be wait and give us a real upgrade.
Otherwise could released this wood's candy earlier.

Agree... It's a joke (a bad one).

Flavio
FGM

Post by FGM »

A tribute to The Magnificent Seven still posting....

Teclado Send to.jpg
Teclado Send to.jpg (57.52 KiB) Viewed 1216 times
FGM 2023 C7C Los Siete Magníficos 23T #FGM.mp3
(3.36 MiB) Downloaded 18 times

😀😀😀😀
🎹🎹🎹🎹
happyfantomuser

I believe it's timed to show that they are still updating our Fantoms, so with the Yamaha info that dropped today we know we still matter (haha) and then also that article tells us to hang in there a bit longer for the big update. From what I understand they're still putting finishing touches on it too. I'm glad to finally see the november month attached to it though. Very much looking forward to everything the update brings!
xp30

Post by xp30 »

happyfantomuser wrote: 22:25, 10 October 2023 I believe it's timed to show that they are still updating our Fantoms, so with the Yamaha info that dropped today we know we still matter (haha) and then also that article tells us to hang in there a bit longer for the big update. From what I understand they're still putting finishing touches on it too. I'm glad to finally see the november month attached to it though. Very much looking forward to everything the update brings!
The article states at the end that Roland will announce something this November. It does not mention that there will be an update this November. And I guess that the words have been chosen intentionally.

I do not have the impression that the words in the release notes for 3.0.2 have been chosen so carefully, because I can only speculate what might have been improved.
Italosynth

Post by Italosynth »

AN1x, Motif es, xf, and current modx owner here. While the new Montage M looks sexy as hell. But when you start to look into it you see the same crappola excuse for a sequencer (BIG JOKE) & same core OS GUI. And people will say that Roland doesn’t listen to user feedback/comments. Well compared to Yamaha, Roland seems to be all ears.
When I think of my Fantom when lusting over the new Montage M, I begin to see how much better the Fantom already is: bitchin sequencer, multiple software driven/derived plug-out synths, Nzyme, a gorgeous and solidly built package all around. Sure, Fantom have some stupid stuff going on too. I won’t detail them here at this point cause I gotta get some sleep but ladies and gents, the Fantom is by far a superior workstation when compared to the current offerings of the competitors. (BTW Korg was my first love with my 01w/fd)
Cheers
danx

Post by danx »

"bringing Analog Circuit Behavior (ACB) to FANTOM"

So instead of the actual ABM, Fantom will be able to handle ACB.
Since ACB consume more cpu resources I wonder how this will affect polyphony and other performance functions, and how much Roland will want to charge for the "new" (Jupiter, Juno, etc.) ACB model expansions...
Pretty sure they won't be free.
happyfantomuser

xp30 wrote: 23:25, 10 October 2023
happyfantomuser wrote: 22:25, 10 October 2023 I believe it's timed to show that they are still updating our Fantoms, so with the Yamaha info that dropped today we know we still matter (haha) and then also that article tells us to hang in there a bit longer for the big update. From what I understand they're still putting finishing touches on it too. I'm glad to finally see the november month attached to it though. Very much looking forward to everything the update brings!
The article states at the end that Roland will announce something this November. It does not mention that there will be an update this November. And I guess that the words have been chosen intentionally.

I do not have the impression that the words in the release notes for 3.0.2 have been chosen so carefully, because I can only speculate what might have been improved.
November is near. :)