Roland Support

The workstation, redefined
ChrisDuncan

Roland Support

Post by ChrisDuncan »

I was having trouble controlling the Fantom from my Kronos due to what looked like overloading the MIDI buffer. I contacted support, and they responded within 24 hours.

The short version is that I was using a Kronos Combi, i.e. Performance where 16 channels of CC data were being transmitted even when muted (by design). The support info pointed me in the right direction to figure this out, and I got the problem solved. Another Kronos user pointed out that it was also transmitting large amounts of sysex data and I should disable that, which I did just to be on the safe side.

Fast forward a week or two, to today. I thought the ticket was closed, but I just got another email from support. They apparently continued researching the issue with their product team even after I closed the ticket, and replied with more information about what might cause a MIDI buffer overload, including sysex data (which neither of us thought about at the time).

This is my first experience having to contact Roland support, and I have to say I'm impressed. They clearly went above and beyond to make sure that I had everything I needed for things to work well. That's far more than most companies do (music or otherwise), so I thought the Roland support guys deserved a shout out. Clearly a good group of people working there.
FGM

Re: Roland Support

Post by FGM »

Hip, hip, hooray!

😀😀😀😀
🎹🎹🎹🎹

Anyway, at times one is deeply surprised.

I went posting hereabouts, and asking Support about it, as I
went unable to get any response from the analog filter.

I knew for sure it had been functioning long before, but not anymore.

Among the many answers I got from many people willing to help,
THANK YOU ONCE MORE, and even from Support, was one inviting me to manually close a switch by touching it on the screen.

As the fix was not recovering the analog filter proper functionality Support finally invited me to sent it for maintenance, something I rejected right away.

Took months to discover how to get it fixed....!!!!

It was as simple as the sub-outs sliders, that I had placed to zero years before.

Yes, when using Fantom along the very first weeks I almost went through the roof as I moved out of curiosity the analog filter while playing.

The result was such a huge blast that I moved the sliders (software, vía the screen) right to the bottom so that it never happened again accidentally, and then simply forgot about the setting I had made...

The moral of the story is one better takes note of changes being
made, specially when the new hardware offers options one doesn't understand at all...sub-outs for me meant "outs for subwoofers"...

😀😀😀😀
🎹🎹🎹🎹