Receiving MIDI notes from Bitwig (DAW)

The workstation, redefined
czarmusik

Receiving MIDI notes from Bitwig (DAW)

Post by czarmusik »

Hi - for the life of me I can't figure out how to send notes from my daw to the Fantom. This should be basic and simple 101 production type stuff but no luck. I am using Bitwig. I can send note to VST Synths from the Fantom but when selecting the note output to Fantom I am getting nothing at all. I've checked the RxCH and they are 1-16 so they should be coming up. BTW this works in Ableton live so not sure what Bitwigs issue is. The
Attachments
Snip20231014_3.png
Snip20231014_3.png (79.11 KiB) Viewed 532 times
Snip20231014_2.png
Snip20231014_2.png (180.66 KiB) Viewed 532 times
ChrisDuncan

Re: Receiving MIDI notes from Bitwig (DAW)

Post by ChrisDuncan »

Hey, man.

I use Cubase and am unfamiliar with Bitwig, but I got so much help from guys here when I was getting started I thought I'd take a swing at your problem. The video below looks like it has the appropriate level of detail for setting up both on the Fantom and Bitwig side of things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK6AjtxmcW4

As for the fact that it works for Ableton, the Fantom has dedicated DAW support for Ableton and Logic, so that might explain it. For everything else you have to use the generic MIDI approach, so I think the video might get you going in the right direction.

If that doesn't get it done, let me know and I'll try to help debug as best I can. While I'm not a Bitwig guy, I've been doing pro audio since the 70s and many troubleshooting techniques are the same regardless of platform.

Hope this helps,

Chris
SirWillyDS12

Post by SirWillyDS12 »

It appears you are using USB Midi... The Fantom has four USB Midi ports... They are FANTOM-6 7 8, FANTOM-6 7 8 DAW CTRL, FANTOM-6 7 8 MIDI OUT 1 and FANTOM-6 7 8 MIDI OUT 2... You need to select the one labeled just FANTOM-6 7 8 in Bitwig... This is the Midi Out to the Fantom from your PC via USB... You have FANTOM-6 7 8 MIDI OUT 1 selected in the screen shot... FANTOM-6 7 8 MIDI OUT 1 is the MIDI 1 output jack on the back of the Fantom... If you had another keyboard hooked to that Midi output jack Bitwig would be sending Midi messages to that keyboard thru the Fantom...
FGM

Post by FGM »

czarmusik wrote: 21:59, 14 October 2023 Hi - for the life of me I can't figure out how to send notes from my daw to the Fantom. This should be basic and simple 101 production type stuff but no luck. I am using Bitwig. I can send note to VST Synths from the Fantom but when selecting the note output to Fantom I am getting nothing at all. I've checked the RxCH and they are 1-16 so they should be coming up. BTW this works in Ableton live so not sure what Bitwigs issue is. The
Far from being an expert in DAWs, I see your screenshot
and cannot find both, MIDI and AUDIO for Fantom.

When I use Fantom mixed with my DAW I have to set 32 tracks
to accommodate all 16 Zones, Audio and MIDI for each.

So for Zone 1 I have...
Track 1....DAW input > MIDI channel 1.
Track 2... DAW input > Stereo INPUT 1 / INPUT 1(R)

Etc...

And for Zone 16 I have...
Track 31... DAW input > MIDI channel 16.
Track 32... DAW input > Stereo INPUT 16 / INPUT 16(R)

I am assuming Zone 1 set to MIDI channel 1.....zone 16 to MIDI 16.

Also, verify that...

MENU>SYSTEM>GENERAL> USB Driver to VENDOR.

Involved zones are set to GREEN (External) or YELLOW (External and Internal), while not necessarely layered (although this will remove any keyboard range made and, if not selected as main, prevent the use of the arpeggiator while still yet assigned with the "radio" button to that zone (screen) ).

That setting was improved and can be arrived to from a BASIC or ADVANCED option located in MENU>SYSTEM>GENERAL> Zone Int/Ext Control. I have ADVANCED.

Verify MENU> SYSTEM> USB tab for the following:

USB AUDIO to PARALLEL if you want all the channels, not just a stereo MIX.

Input ON and Output ON.
I have 127 for INPUT (recommended by Roland) and 20 for OUTPUT.

Also verify the MIDI tab and the options there.

😀😀😀😀
🎹🎹🎹🎹
czarmusik

Post by czarmusik »

Thanks for the response everyone. I was able to get it to work some how after I posted but can't for the life of me now figure out why it's not working again. Not able to play any VSTs synths or send any MIDI to the Fantom. FYI I am not looking to use this as an audio interface. I am running it though a Lynx Aurora and can monitor sounds playing through that (which I can confirm works).

- I have it set to general keyboard
- track one is green set to channel one. This also sees to work
- USB set to general
Attachments
Snip20231018_7.png
Snip20231018_7.png (1.31 MiB) Viewed 474 times
Snip20231018_6.png
Snip20231018_6.png (183.58 KiB) Viewed 474 times
Snip20231018_5.png
Snip20231018_5.png (85.46 KiB) Viewed 474 times
FGM

Post by FGM »

czarmusik wrote: 15:02, 18 October 2023 Thanks for the response everyone. I was able to get it to work some how after I posted but can't for the life of me now figure out why it's not working again. Not able to play any VSTs synths or send any MIDI to the Fantom. FYI I am not looking to use this as an audio interface. I am running it though a Lynx Aurora and can monitor sounds playing through that (which I can confirm works).

- I have it set to general keyboard
- track one is green set to channel one. This also sees to work
- USB set to general
I barely understand you, sorry.

Just having fun with Fantom at home...

I see the DAW is ready to receive notes from ALL MIDI Channels from Fantom, you have highlighted Zone 2, and it is set to INT.

I think, as said earlier, that it should be EXT, as Zone 1 is, or BOTH.

Also, verify the keys being pressed are within the Zone range,
if layered.

Excuse me if I talk about too basic a thing....just trying to help.

😀😀😀😀
🎹🎹🎹🎹
czarmusik

Post by czarmusik »

Thanks for suggestions. Good news - I was able to figure out that Bitwig has a great hardware plug in which allows for the control of the MIDI outputs from Bitwig, being able to be routed to any channel. Whats more is you can put multiple plug ins into a MIDI track and effectively sum and mix the hardware outputs and inputs on one track which is massive efficiency gain.
Attachments
Snip20231019_12.png
Snip20231019_12.png (198.85 KiB) Viewed 426 times
FGM

Post by FGM »

czarmusik wrote: 18:09, 19 October 2023 Thanks for suggestions. Good news - I was able to figure out that Bitwig has a great hardware plug in which allows for the control of the MIDI outputs from Bitwig, being able to be routed to any channel. Whats more is you can put multiple plug ins into a MIDI track and effectively sum and mix the hardware outputs and inputs on one track which is massive efficiency gain.
So from BigIssue to Bitwig.

Congratulations.

😀😀😀😀
🎹🎹🎹🎹
ChrisDuncan

Post by ChrisDuncan »

Glad you got it sorted, man. Now back to the fun stuff, right?