N/ZYME - can't decide

The workstation, redefined
muso7

N/ZYME - can't decide

Post by muso7 »

Hey guys/gals

I've been up and down regarding getting the n/zyme expansion.
I am not a deep sound-editing/sound-creation player but do like to dabble.

I just can't figure out if it would be a waste of money for me.
I know it's up to me but would love to hear from anyone who owns it and mostly uses it for presets and "minor adjustments"

Thanks
Pete 👍
FGM

Re: N/ZYME - can't decide

Post by FGM »

muso7 wrote: 16:08, 16 October 2023 Hey guys/gals

I've been up and down regarding getting the n/zyme expansion.
I am not a deep sound-editing/sound-creation player but do like to dabble.

I just can't figure out if it would be a waste of money for me.
I know it's up to me but would love to hear from anyone who owns it and mostly uses it for presets and "minor adjustments"

Thanks
Pete 👍
Since that expansion was released on 20th January 2022
I have not heard a single word from anyone posting here about it.

I jumped to a DAW around the time it was released and
have so far forgotten about it...

But they say it is really worth installing...

https://www.gearnews.com/roland-fantom- ... expansion/

Let us know if you install it...

Christmas around the corner...!!!!

😀😀😀😀
🎹🎹🎹🎹
wave

Post by wave »

n/zyme is the first expansion that Roland owners must pay, and it's not cheap thinking how much a Fantom costs. On the other hand, it's an uncommon synth engine that can deliver unexpected results either good or barely unusable.
Perhaps it's the most interesting part of a Fantom, even tough its a little counterintuitive and requires a decent amount of time to understand how it works.
mlohmeyer

Post by mlohmeyer »

I have been contemplating buying n/Zyme and I am pretty sure I would be happy with it. It sounds good in the videos I have seen. It isn't amazing if compared to a VST wavetable synth, but you don't buy it for that reason. You buy it because you want a Wavetable synth in your Fantom.

For me, I have other wavetable synths (hardware and software) which I would rather spend more time learning to use, so I haven't bought n/Zyme. If I start doing a lot more sound design on my Fantom, I will probably buy n/Zyme to get more variety.

It is one of the more unique synths you can add to any Zencore synth. I mean, who needs another JX-8P or Jupiter 8. ;-) But n/Zyme is a unique addon for the current Roland product line. Supposedly, the new Gaia 2 is based on n/Zyme, though the Gaia 2 has a lot more capability.
ChrisDuncan

Post by ChrisDuncan »

My impression of synths like this is that their strength is in evolving sounds, for example a complex and evolving pad.

I was excited to get the classic Roland synth models (Jupiter, Juno, JX39, SH101). I did look at N/zyme, but didn't buy it. It seems to be a really nice instrument, but I come from a classic rock background and don't do ambient music or any kind of electronica where I would benefit from the complexity and evolving textures of those sounds.

So, from my perspective, if you were considering a purchase the first thing I would ask is if the style of music you play is something that would benefit from the complexity you can get out of something like N/zyme. If so, it might be a nice addition, but if it doesn't enhance the particular kinds of things you do, it would most likely be an underutilized expense.
FGM

Post by FGM »

Buy it !!!! , she said after placing her hand on his chest.

😀😀😀😀
🎹🎹🎹🎹
Atozer

Post by Atozer »

I would like n/zyme but at $240 Australian it is a bit rediculous. Does Roland cloud ever do black Friday specials?
muso7

Post by muso7 »

Bought it - in fact, bought EX - brilliant - loving' it!!!!

🤩
FGM

Post by FGM »

😀😀😀😀
🎹🎹🎹🎹
neomad

Post by neomad »

I got the N/Zyme when I bought the EX upgrade... and I can confirm that is the engine I use the most...amazing
EdGe

Post by EdGe »

The Nzyme (skip the flippin' 'forward slash' BS) is unique to Roland, and is the engine I've used most on my productions.

It's very cool...I like it!

There are better wavetable synths out there, though...