Onboard Amp and Cab sim effects quality on Fantom compared to other workstations

The workstation, redefined
gorgorsan

Onboard Amp and Cab sim effects quality on Fantom compared to other workstations

Post by gorgorsan »

Hi! I am in search for my new keyboard workstation for home/studio use just to work on ideas for songs without the need to switch the computer on. I wonder which keyboard workstation has the best (most realistic) sounding amp and cab sims onboard. I am particularly asking about high gain sounds. I wonder how Fantom compares in this department to the other workstations like Kurzweil K2700, KORG Nautilus, Yamaha MODX Plus or Montage and AKAI MPC Key 61. In standalone mode (without connecting it to computer) AKAI has Air Amp Sim Plugin onboard. I wonder, since it's a plugin, if it sounds more real than the ones on other hardware workstations mentioned above. I would slighty prefer Korg Nautilus because it is the only one that supports streaming from HD so the RAM size ain't an issue but am not sure about the sims onboard. And since all these keyboards can load user sounds/libraries, I don't care about the onboard electric guitar samples quality. Thanks!
xp30

Re: Onboard Amp and Cab sim effects quality on Fantom compared to other workstations

Post by xp30 »

gorgorsan wrote: 15:02, 21 October 2023 I wonder which keyboard workstation has the best (most realistic) sounding amp and cab sims onboard. I am particularly asking about high gain sounds. I wonder how Fantom compares in this department to the other workstations like Kurzweil K2700, KORG Nautilus, Yamaha MODX Plus or Montage and AKAI MPC Key 61.
I do not own any of the other keyboards, and I can not say how it compares. I can say that I have connected an HX Stomp to my Fantom, and I would not say that the internal effects are up-to-date.
neomad

Re: Onboard Amp and Cab sim effects quality on Fantom compared to other workstations

Post by neomad »

Hello, I do have Montage and Nautilus too.

Which kind of sounds do you want to use with? I like Fantom one very much. But Montage and Nautilus are very good too.
gorgorsan

Post by gorgorsan »

neomad wrote: 13:16, 24 October 2023 Hello, I do have Montage and Nautilus too.

Which kind of sounds do you want to use with? I like Fantom one very much. But Montage and Nautilus are very good too.
Hi neomad! I plan to use amp and cab sims on clean electric guitar samples. Since clean stock electric guitar samples on those workstations are not that good (I guess Montage and AKAI MPC has the best stock ones or so I've been told?), I plan to convert guitars from vst libraries and load them into keyboard. I play heavy metal so am wondering about the quality of hi gain amp sounds in particular. Did you by any chance played on any standalone AKAI MPCs (One, Live, X or Key 61) and heard their amp and cab sim as well?
frequency2

Post by frequency2 »

I don't use my Fantom nor my MPC One for guitar amps sims or effects, but the one or two times I tested this the Fantom amp sims and effects for guitar were just OK and nothing to write home about. The MPC effects may be better, but I do notice a signal delay. In any case, neither of these machines can compare to a proper guitar amp sim or effects outboard gear like a Helix, Kemper, etc.