Fantom: Interaction between MIDI, Sustain Pedal and local controllers

The workstation, redefined
xp30

Fantom: Interaction between MIDI, Sustain Pedal and local controllers

Post by xp30 »

A number of Roland products have a special behavior related to the sustain pedal when the same part is controlled both via MIDI and a local controller:
  • The local sustain pedal affects notes played on the local keyboard, however, not notes received via MIDI.
  • The MIDI CC#64 messages received via MIDI affect notes received via MIDI, however, not the notes played on the local keyboard.
I have not seen this behavior on keyboards from other brands (e.g. Yamaha and Nord). I am not sure why Roland is doing it this way. I wish that Roland would offer an option in the system settings to change the behavior.
xp30

Re: Fantom: Interaction between MIDI, Sustain Pedal and local controllers

Post by xp30 »

I am now experimenting with sending a different CC message (CC#69 HOLD2), and mapping it to the envelope release time, to somehow mimic the behavior of the sustain pedal. That means I have to customize tones whenever I need the functionality. At the moment, this seems to be the simplest workaround for what I need.
frank-the-bassman

Re: Fantom: Interaction between MIDI, Sustain Pedal and local controllers

Post by frank-the-bassman »

thanks for posting this, it came just at the right time for me after searching for hours without results why my fantom not reacts to CC#64, as all my other keyboards do. Now I know.

And yes, I would appreciate too if this was configurable.