First post... ;-)

The latest in the Jupiter line
sompost

First post... ;-)

Post by sompost »

Except for the looks and the smaller keys, it's the same thing as the Jupiter-X. You'll get it sooner, cheaper, but without all those colorful buttons. Start contemplating in 3, 2, 1, ...
Tom_1970

Re: First post... ;-)

Post by Tom_1970 »

Well, I sure do prefer the Jupiter-X, but the Jupiter-Xm fits into my Jasper rack without modifications and for the € 1000,- I save I can buy me a nice modular case.

So I am not sure yet.
I understand that on the inside it's the same beast, but I hope that the manuals are online soon, so I can read how the interface works with less controllers on the Xm.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

I prefer the full size Jupiter-X though do not know enough about the sound engine. I think the price is very steep for the small one. I have heard the sound is the primary factor in its high price but I still do not know what you are getting.

From what I understand at the moment (trying to piece together what I hear) is they are calling the new sound engine Zen Core which I have read there is already a Zen Core AMD processor independent of Roland. I am not sure if that has something to do with the sound engine or if Roland has coined this as their culmination of synthesis techniques in this new Jupiter. The sound engine seems to be open sourced for Roland to write new code and offer expansions. It appears that they use the word "models" for the various emulations from Jupiter, Junos, SH, JX-8p. It also offers sounds from the decent but maybe dated XV series and the recent RD series.

Supposedly the Jupiter-Xs will have plenty of polyphony I heard up to 256 (At least on the bigger Jupiter-X) but I have seen no real documentation of that.
If the polyphony count is that high then this Zen Core sound engine must be a new generation or continuation of the Supernatural one found on the previous Jupiter-80/50. The supernatual acoustic AND synth engines on those were completely sample based. SOooo from what I gather at this point I do not believe the modeling on this new Jupiter series will involve ACB technology found on the System-8. Which is a shame. I have the System-8 and I have written patches that sound as close as one can get with digital to my original Juno-106 patches that I am very pleased with its sound.

I was really hoping these would combine ACB with PCMs even the non looping samples of the Supernatural acoustic engines found on the Jupiter-80/50.
kimsnarf

Post by kimsnarf »

KnobCon 2019: Roland Jupiter-Xm (Youtube)

It sure looks like a fun synth! And it has some great sounds in there too. Already I can hear that it beats the Jupiter 80 in the analog department. The sounds are more dynamic and have more movement.

I particularly like this string sound at 0:41. And the Stranger Things-ish one at 2:15.
kimsnarf

Post by kimsnarf »

Roland Jupiter Xm Sound Demo (No Talking)

Another great demo with some excellent sounds. The filter gets a good workout! It definitely sounds more musical to me than the Jupiter 80 filters did. There is a lot of sonic bliss here.

Damn, this is creamy at 4:30! This is impressive for a digital synth! (Unfortunately the audio distorts).
Tom_1970

Post by Tom_1970 »

Some very nice sounds.

I tend more to the X than the Xm on the moment, but there are so many questions I have.
No sequencer is no dealbreaker and the Arpeggio seems nice, but I wonder how the drumpart is being played.
The 16 buttons (and colors of them on the JP-X) seems to suggest TR like sequencing.
Another thing is the editing of sounds.
With the classic models there are enough controllers to edit and shape your own sounds (especially with the JP-X) and I guess it will be ok for basic editing XV sounds, but since XV is quite a complex machine with extensive parameters I wonder how you will be able to do deep editing.
On the FA-06 I own I think editing XV sounds is not ideal, but with the large color display it's not that hard to do.
Will there be a software editor or will it be menu diving?

I heard (read) which models come aboard with in the end "more to come".
I wonder what that will be. I can imagine some classic Roland models, but will they be vague about it or can they make hard promises.
I love Roland and it's products, but they don't have the record on being the best supportive company on existing instruments (I still remember my VariOS ;-) ).

Both Jupiters look most promising to me, but I hope we will get more information soon.
kimsnarf

Post by kimsnarf »

It is the X I'm considering as well. I don't do mini keys. I would rather have fewer, full-size keys or no keys at all (or an alternate input mechanism).

I hope the colored buttons can be used for step sequencing. They were such a wasted opportunity on the Jupiter 80. Drum editing on the mini display would be painful.
[JUPITER-X] Can I record or edit a performance by I-Arpeggio?
Yes, you can edit it.
Arpeggio performance is always recorded in the body every cycle, you can take out and edit with STEP EDIT function. The edited pattern can be used as an arpeggio user pattern or as MIDI data in DAW software.
So there appears to be some kind of step sequencer. I'm not sure how the interface is, and whether it can be manually programmed or just used to edit a recorded performance.

I would not hold out hope for any sound expansions beyond what is released initially. This is Roland after all. When they release they are done. If we're luck we might get one or two updates.
Tom_1970

Post by Tom_1970 »

I agree on you about expansions.
My studio adagium is: "Don't buy an instrument for what it maybe can do in the future, buy an instrument for what it can do now!" ;-)
It just makes you wonder and maybe wish with statements as...."more to come".

I think the arpeggiator is great.
Looks like they take the arpeggiator to the next level although I think that ASM did some very nice things with the arpeggiator of the Hydrasynth (a synth that also very much has my attention).

I also wonder how Roland Cloud is connected to this all.
The Plugout system became the cloud (well sort of) and now it looks they have put cloud stuff in the Jupiters.
In my imagination Roland would come with a controller keyboard with lots of knobs in which you could load any cloud instrument you liked. The Jupiters are not like that, but I some elements of it.

I guess that's my problem on the moment.
I am very impatient when it comes on information about the new instruments. ;-)
tommyman

Post by tommyman »

The Xm video does look promising. 256 voices? 5080? JX? Juno (hope these include J-60, not just J-106.) Jupiter 8, trumping Jupiter80? Supernatural Pianos from an RD? Aftertouch? New iArpeggiator? What's NOT to like!

But of course, we're already finding things, and pontificating about an instrument that barely exists yet and none of us have gotten their hands on.

Well, the Holiday Season is just around the corner, right?!
But how to cash in on this XV-5080, Jupiter 80, Juno DS61, JD800, V-Synth, sweet XV-88 D-50, D-550, Cloud subscription and VR-09. Well, gotta keep that one for the drawbars!

In fact, I'm gonna stay put with the arsenal I've got. Having too much fun with it, still behind on completely learning that Montage, and I'm allowed to change my mind later, right?

Afterthought: if only it came with an in house personal lesson from The Pony Tail Twins (Ed Diaz and Scott Tibbs) Or better yet, Thomas Dolby! Now THAT might move some Gold Cards.
anotherscott

Post by anotherscott »

Synthtron wrote:I prefer the full size Jupiter-X though do not know enough about the sound engine. I think the price is very steep for the small one. I have heard the sound is the primary factor in its high price but I still do not know what you are getting.
You can kind of think of it as a Jupiter X rack module, that happens to have some keys attached. ;-)
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

anotherscott wrote: You can kind of think of it as a Jupiter X rack module, that happens to have some keys attached. ;-)
I can see that.
I am not necessarily knocking it because of its size. I have a JP-08 and JU-06 with the K-25m's for each.
Just the price was a bit of a surprise for the size, at least the keys are actually a bit larger than the K-25m keys.
I have warmed up to the Xm a bit and may eventually get one because I actually prefer taking lighter keyboards out to play live with now. This seems like it has a good bit of sound possibilities in one unit.