The latest in the Jupiter line
marctronixx

Xm is shipping...

Post by marctronixx »

Xmmm.jpg
Xmmm.jpg (94.54 KiB) Viewed 5020 times
Just got mine today.

Quick impressions:

build quality is speculator. Keeys feel like my Jupiter 80 keybed.

Built in speakers are full and rich sounding, I had the volume 90% and whilst playing some pads, the speakers didn't distort. That is not to say they won't if you pump more sound into them, but they are really great sounding. they do NOT sound like the little boutique speakers you hear in the boutique series.

The iArp is interesting. it kinda made me sound like I knew what I was doing with the variations it does. it will even add some beats on some of the preset iArp settings.

Have not read the manual and I have not seen all the videos of the xm from youtube influencers so what I have experienced has met my expectations. I will dig more into it tomorrow but it is really a great instrument.
Stormchild

Re: Xm is shipping...

Post by Stormchild »

marctronixx wrote:build quality is speculator. Keeys feel like my Jupiter 80 keybed.
Looks great!
marctronixx wrote:Built in speakers are full and rich sounding, I had the volume 90% and whilst playing some pads, the speakers didn't distort. That is not to say they won't if you pump more sound into them, but they are really great sounding. they do NOT sound like the little boutique speakers you hear in the boutique series.
Haha, I certainly hope not. Those boutique speakers are completely useless.
marctronixx wrote:The iArp is interesting. it kinda made me sound like I knew what I was doing with the variations it does. it will even add some beats on some of the preset iArp settings.
That definitely looks fun.

Post some sound or video demos if you can!
sompost

Post by sompost »

Still no owner's manuals or support documents available online. Are they shipped with the instrument in paper form then? In digitize-and-then-make-a-PDF-able form, that is... ;-)
marctronixx

Post by marctronixx »

The Xm shipped with the basic getting started manual. The reference manual will be uploaded to Roland once the dealers get the units in stock.

Ive heard end of October they would start shipping so perhaps you will see the reference manual /operators manual online by end of week or next? That’s pure speculation on my part..
Fanug

Post by Fanug »

Still not available in Europe...

I really wonder how the difference is between the ACB and ZEN technology (in terms of sound quality). Hope there will be some comparisons soon.
realtrance

Post by realtrance »

I think at most it's going to be a quite subtle difference; ACB is for real tone fanatics, who are sensitive to every tiny nuance. Zen Core and the modeling on the new Jupiter X/Xm/Fantom/MC-707 is more than good enough for everyone else, and is barely discernible if at all in a live playing environment, or recorded with other instruments or tracks.
sompost

Post by sompost »

You all probably knew all along: Owner's manuals are online at Roland's global site.

https://www.roland.com/global/products/ ... m/support/
Tom_1970

Post by Tom_1970 »

I am anxiously awaiting the other supporting documents such as the reference and parameter guide and of course the sound list and MIDI implementation.
sompost

Post by sompost »

Tom_1970 wrote:I am anxiously awaiting the other supporting documents such as the reference and parameter guide and of course the sound list and MIDI implementation.
They're drip feeding us the good stuff.
marctronixx

Post by marctronixx »

Roland have a lot of instruments they released at once and there are only so many people to tackle all the documentation, videos, etc. Even Ed Diaz had to temporarily halt the fantom videos to help a colleague work on other newly released video products , so good times for the folks at roland and even better times for the consumers who love roland products.

i admit im waiting patiently for the reference manual for the Xm. im still a bit overwhelmed with the interface. :p
sompost

Post by sompost »

Reference manual, parameter guide, etc. is online now!
Fanug

Post by Fanug »

I had a short try of the Xm. The sound seems very nice to me and there are many possibilities... but unfortunately the operation is not very straight forward for my taste (at least in the short time time of testing). I guess I’ll wait a bit until it gets cheaper and then I’ll give it a second try.
marctronixx

Post by marctronixx »

yep its not for everyone. maybe wait until april and check out the X.
Fanug

Post by Fanug »

Yes, I also assume that the X will be better to (intuitively) handle. But I really liked the small size of the Xm. I will check the X too (and maybe then in April the Xm will be a bit cheaper and got an update as well).
marctronixx

Post by marctronixx »

not sure what you mean by "better to handle" but the X will satisfy a LOT of cats. I can't wait to get my copy. The Xm's sound is soo vast and huuuge.. the 4 speakers on this sucker are really quality and you can be up and jammin in under 10 seconds. I have so much fun with the Xm (still learning its workflow though.. :( ) and carry it everyday to the day job.. :)