Key keybed quality

The latest in the Jupiter line
Mark Everglade

Key keybed quality

Post by Mark Everglade »

Hi. How is the key quality on the jupiter x 61 key? Is it like the plastic feeling fa06? Or better? Is it more synthaction or suitable for piano?

Thanks
Mark
malc

Re: Key keybed quality

Post by malc »

I dont know about the FA06 but the Jupiter X keybed (61 key) imho is absolutely superb.

Its a great synth action.

I would compare it very favourably to my Kurzweil PC361 (also superb) which uses a Fatar TP/9S. If I was being really micro anal then the Jupiter is very slightly weightier than the Kurz. It’s less plasticky than the Kurz, and I never thought of the Kurz as being plasticky!

The knobs, sliders and buttons also really good. There are a lot of things which are not so good about the Jupiter X (ridiculous long menu lists, confused modes) but the sound and the hardware are premium.
Mark Everglade

Post by Mark Everglade »

Thanks alot. I made the purchase and am a proud migrator from korg to roland.
thedecider

Post by thedecider »

The new synth-action keybeds on the Jupiter-X and Fantom are stellar. They are on par with something like the Sequential OB-6/Prophet-6, which use high end Fatar keybeds, and the new Roland boards are an absolute joy to play. They may even be better than the Sequential stuff depending on personal taste, but they are sturdy and responsive, and not toy-like, shorter, and flimsy like on the FA, System-8, and Juno-DS series.

While those boards sound incredible and are very playable, the X and Fantom keybeds and hardware feel pro level.
Duplobaustein

Post by Duplobaustein »

Imho Roland had even better keybeds, like on the JP80, but the JPX keybed is absolutely fine. Playable, a good weight and a pretty controllable aftertouch. I still prefer the Fatar TP9/8 synth actions but the JPX one is damn close.
monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks »

For me, I would be very surprised if piano-player consumers find the JPX action suitable for performing the RD library patches on.

Also, I have yet to be successful in applying a substantial amount of pressure (to trigger after-touch) quite literally for fear of snapping a damn key!
vampyrelegion

Post by vampyrelegion »

Jupiter X has one of the best keybeds I have played in recent years.
monsterjazzlicks

vampyrelegion wrote: 13:53, 22 June 2022 Jupiter X has one of the best keybeds I have played in recent years.
vampyrelegion,

I can cope with the non authentic piano action, I doesn't bother me. But the After Touch does.

Is there a choice of After Touch Velocity Curves, might anyone know, please.

Paul
Chumley

Post by Chumley »

Hi Paul

Don't think you can change the curve as such, but you can reduce the sensitivity. MENU > SYSTEM > CONTROLLER > Aft Sens

The range is 0-100 with 100 being the default.
monsterjazzlicks

Chumley wrote: 18:33, 23 June 2022 Hi Paul

Don't think you can change the curve as such, but you can reduce the sensitivity. MENU > SYSTEM > CONTROLLER > Aft Sens

The range is 0-100 with 100 being the default.
Hi Chris,

That's great, thanks!

Will it save it as a global setting, might you know, please?

Paul
Chumley

Post by Chumley »

Hi Paul

It should do. Just press WRITE then ENTER after you've changed it.

Chris
monsterjazzlicks

Chumley wrote: 11:45, 24 June 2022It should do. Just press WRITE then ENTER after you've changed it.
That's great - I'll test it over the w/e . . .
Bass Disposal

Post by Bass Disposal »

Hello everyone,
I just posted something similar on another thread on the Jupiter X's aftertouch here on this Forum. It appears not all Jupiter Xs are of the same build quality. Some like my own unit suffer from a problem with the keybed mechanics related to the Aftertouch. It is indeed nothing the aforementioned menu settings can alleviate. On those units in question it requires an unusual amount of strength to trigger an aftertouch response. If you are affected, just try to contact other owners who do not complain about that issue in your vicinity and see if you can arrange a cross comparison. Or head to your local store to do the same. Trust me, doing so is quite telling. If I were Roland I would consider a call back on those faulty units or offer an instruction on how to open up the device to tweak the related parts.