Limiting mod wheel range of values?

The latest in the Jupiter line
JVSalazar

Limiting mod wheel range of values?

Post by JVSalazar »

For example if I map the mod wheel to filter cutoff, is it possible to limit the min/max values that it can sweep through? i.e. I don't want the filter to open all the way with the mod wheel at max position
xp30

Re: Limiting mod wheel range of values?

Post by xp30 »

There are a number of ways to adjust the range. It depends on the controller:
  • Pitch Bend Lever (horizontal)
  • Modulation Lever (vertical)
  • Wheel 1
  • Wheel 2
It also depends on the synth engine (Z-Core vs model expansions).

For example, for most/all model expansions, it is AFAIK not possible to map cutoff frequency to the modulation lever. However, it is possible to map it to wheel 2, by mapping wheel 2 to aftertouch, and by then configuring the aftertouch cutoff sensitivity within the tone.

Z-Core tones offer the most flexibility and the "sensitivity" of the mapping can be changed in the matrix control section (aka modulation matrix). For example, PR-B 0173:JX Strings has CC#01 mapped to cutoff frequency in the modulation matrix, with sensitivity +10. You can increase or decrease the sensitivity to control how far the filter should open.
DesertBoat

Re: Limiting mod wheel range of values?

Post by DesertBoat »

Simply, no, there is no way to limit the controllers range.

A cumbersome work around is as xp30 mentions, to dig into an individual tone settings, but that can change depending on how the controller is mapped, and which type tone.