Volume control of parts using external midi controller

The latest in the Jupiter line
swoody

Volume control of parts using external midi controller

Post by swoody »

Hi,

I've been experimenting with the SL1 and SL2 controls to adjust the volume levels of e.g. pads & arpeggiated parts in a scene when playing, but would love to be able to mix all 5 parts using the sliders on my midi controller keyboard. I know this can be done externally as I've used Midi Designer, but wondered if anyone knew how to (or already has) set it up - is it a matter of mapping the correct midi CC to the part levels (in which case, what CCs do I need?) or is Mide Desinger sending more complex SysEx packets?

Thanks!

Steve
Chumley

Re: Volume control of parts using external midi controller

Post by Chumley »

CC7 is part volume, so you would just need each part on a separate midi channel.
DesertBoat

Post by DesertBoat »

With the MIDI Designer layout, we use the SysEx to reach in to the part volume setting, since this is independent of MIDI channel assignment complexity.

You could use either CC 7 or 11 on the appropriate channel to control part volume. Just have to keep track of which part is on which channel.
swoody

Post by swoody »

Excellent - I just need to sort out how to assign sliders to different midi channels on my controller keyboard - thanks all!