KeySw, PartSw, ArpSw, what?

The latest in the Jupiter line
plofstof

KeySw, PartSw, ArpSw, what?

Post by plofstof »

Please help me understand the poorly documented functionality of the X(/m)

On p18 of the Reference Manual it talks about assigning functions to the 1-15 buttons in Part Mode.
This can be found under Menu>SYSTEM>CONTROLLER>Part Btn Asgn

The functions that can be assigned to each button are described as

PartSel (select the part for editing, normally this is on the first 5 buttons)
KeySw (turn on or off performance part) - presumably this means the part will sound when you press keys on the keyboard
PartSw ("turn on or off the parts that play) - what is this? Parts that respond to, like, external MIDI input?
Part+KeySw (normally this is the default for the second 5 buttons)
ArpSw (turn on or off Arpeggio performance - by default this is the last five buttons if you hold Shift

There is no other documentation to describe this.

Can anyone perhaps explain the difference between PartSw and KeySw please?
xp30

Re: KeySw, PartSw, ArpSw, what?

Post by xp30 »

plofstof wrote: 07:29, 21 July 2023 There is no other documentation to describe this.
The Jupiter-X Parameter Guide contains additional information:
jupter-x-part-btn-asgn.png
jupter-x-part-btn-asgn.png (211.21 KiB) Viewed 498 times
plofstof

Post by plofstof »

Thanks, yes I was referring to exactly that page. You'll notice that it does not explain what PartSw is. Hence my original question.
xp30

Post by xp30 »

plofstof wrote: 15:40, 23 July 2023 Thanks, yes I was referring to exactly that page. You'll notice that it does not explain what PartSw is. Hence my original question.
In your original post, you were referring to page 18 in the Reference Manual, and I was referring to page 35 in the Parameter Guide. These are not the same pages, and the latter contains a lot more details.

Part Sw and Keyboard Sw are scene part and zone parameters. If their meaning is not clear from the short description on page 35, then you can look at their description, which you can find on page 4 and page 6 in the Parameter Guide.
BBQ

Post by BBQ »

plofstof wrote: 15:40, 23 July 2023 Thanks, yes I was referring to exactly that page. You'll notice that it does not explain what PartSw is. Hence my original question.
Hi,
I agree that the difference between PartSw and KeySw can be confusing.
Parts that have PartSw on but KeySw off can still play via midi or arpeggio. A typical case for PartSw is to mute the drums for a 'drop' effect, for example.