MIDI IN wrong tempo with decimals

The latest in the Jupiter line
pablogo

MIDI IN wrong tempo with decimals

Post by pablogo »

I´m trying to connect a TR8S (MIDI OUT) to a Jupiter Xm(MIDI IN) but the tempo is showing a fluctuating value. For example the TR8S has 120bpm but the Jupiter has 119.60 that could move to 120.30, this generates that the arpeggios or sequences gets out of sync. Someone has faced something similar before? Any idea about how can I fix it? I tried all the MIDI/ Arp configurations.
xp30

Re: MIDI IN wrong tempo with decimals

Post by xp30 »

pablogo wrote: 21:11, 31 July 2023 I´m trying to connect a TR8S (MIDI OUT) to a Jupiter Xm(MIDI IN) but the tempo is showing a fluctuating value. For example the TR8S has 120bpm but the Jupiter has 119.60 that could move to 120.30, this generates that the arpeggios or sequences gets out of sync. Someone has faced something similar before? Any idea about how can I fix it? I tried all the MIDI/ Arp configurations.
I think that I have read something similar before.

Some background: MIDI clock does NOT send a BPM value. Instead, it sends the MIDI real-time message F8 (timing click) at regular intervals (24 times per quarter note). The receiver calculates the BPM value by measuring the duration between these messages.

If the BPM value does not match on sender and receiver, then either the sender does not send the messages at regular intervals, or the receiver does not process the messages immediately after receiving them. I guess it is the latter, because that is what I remember from the previous discussion.

You could make some experiment to check if it is the sender or receiver, for example by reversing the direction, or by connecting both of them to a 3rd device that is known to work correctly. I would suggest to search in the forum for a similar issue with the Jupiter-Xm, because I am fairly sure it was discussed before.