Finally getting there

The latest in the Jupiter line
Sutefano

Finally getting there

Post by Sutefano »

I think many/some will understand my words...

On many places/forums/YouTube videos/etc... users were/are - let say - not so so much inspired with the Jupiter X/Xm scene presets.
On the other side "limited" users are a bit more positive about the presets....

However, I recall one very important comment - somewhere on the forums/articles/...- that using the Editor and the front panel of the Jupiter X/Xm together is a very good way to learn about this synth. Personally I did not go into this direction for several months/year(s) but recently I started to learn this way how the presets are made. In addition I have also purchased several overlays for my Jupiter-X.
I would say, these 3 things together helped me a lot to unlock the power of this synth.

I have never had any of the Model expansions synth in reality and I did not buy this synth for emulations of those iconic synths.
For me the Jupiter-X was like a new synth and layering/programming the model expansions and PCM tones can make very very good sounds.

Just my few words...

Note: For decades I had several HW synths, but today I am working fully ITB and my only synth is the Jupiter-X.
Sutefano

Re: Finally getting there

Post by Sutefano »

Sometimes a very simple Sound/Tone/Patch is needed in a composition - for me the Jupiter-X can do it very easily.

However, sometimes (perhaps more often) the real magic is in the layering.
Well, we all know the idea behind the Jupiter X/Xm - I am referring to the article with AN INTERVIEW WITH JUN-ICHI MIKI, CEO, ROLAND CORPORATION.

But how to layer, so to speak?

There are many ways, sure, but in my opinion effective Tone layering needs:
1 Main Tone +
1 or 2-3 less prominent Tones, taking into account that we can layer 4 Tones in the Jupiter X/Xm.

I am not referring to layering a piano with Strings.
I am talking about for example a String Tone (from the XV5080) with one of the Model expansions "String" Tone, especially at lower frequencies. Just a little touch of it will make a huge difference. As a film music composer I often enhance the low strings with a synth Tone and I am not the only one.

In my opinion layering 2 complex sounds (it might sound very nice) will take lots of frequencies, what maybe not so so desired at all.
Sutefano

Re: Finally getting there

Post by Sutefano »

Well, as much as the original Color Scheme is nice, I am using the Blue Color scheme with some modification.
Namely, I have set the button colours on the left side of the 7 digit display also to Blue (when ON) and no color when OFF.
In addition I have changed the selected scene button colour to White, please see below.
By this the whole synth fits elegantly into my studio, where my acoustic panels are Blue/Very dark Green (most of the are Blue).
My Jupiter-X.jpeg
My Jupiter-X.jpeg (3.47 MiB) Viewed 5173 times