Recording Ext on looper track

Roland's latest grooveboxes
Meteer

Recording Ext on looper track

Post by Meteer »

Hi there, I am a new MC707 owner and this is my first post on the forum!
I need help with recording from external inputs.

I have a DFAM connected to Ext L. Track 6, a looper track, is set to Ext L
There is audible sound from the DFAM.
I press play and then record. The track is flashing for 1 measure.
A new clip is created, but the file is empty.

I have tried different settings in the Input menu, with no luck.
> What do I need to do to record from Ext?!

Edit: Setting Sampler input to PC doesn't help.
Meteer

Re: Recording Ext on looper track

Post by Meteer »

I have tested some more while waiting for ”some knowledgable other” to show up here :)

1. I have DFAM, SubH and Mother32 connected to Ext L, Return L, Return R on tracks 6, 7, 8 respectively.
2. Tracks (Looper) are set to the corresponding input and I get sound on all tracks as expected. No fx, only dry.
3. I set Recorder input to PC and Ext vol to 255.
4. I press record on each track.

> Track 8 (Ext L) actually records sound - Yehey!
> But none of the other tracks records sound (no wave in edit, no audible sound)

When I delete recorded looper files and start over I get very weird behaviour.
This all seems inconsistent at best, very buggy at worst.
jicamasalad

Post by jicamasalad »

Meteer wrote: 21:03, 13 October 2021 Hi there, I am a new MC707 owner and this is my first post on the forum!
I need help with recording from external inputs.

I have a DFAM connected to Ext L. Track 6, a looper track, is set to Ext L
There is audible sound from the DFAM.
I press play and then record. The track is flashing for 1 measure.
A new clip is created, but the file is empty.

I have tried different settings in the Input menu, with no luck.
> What do I need to do to record from Ext?!

Edit: Setting Sampler input to PC doesn't help.

Hi there, and welcome.

I'm not quite sure what's going wrong for you here; I just set up a new Looper track in a project, source set to EXT (source signal is a turntable), set the input level using Input settings (note that you will hear the sound at the INPUT, not through the Looper track fader - yet!); recorded a loop (I tried both hitting record before Play and Record after Play had already started) - both times I got my loop from the EXT Inputs easily recorded.

Quick questions to confirm some things - you are sure the Looper Track is empty?
If you go to Clip Edit and use the C4 knob to select Sound, then select Edit, you see no waveform in the Sample Edit screen?
If you DO see a waveform, is it possible the fader on your Looper track is down, and you actually do have a Loop there, and were being fooled by hearing the Input to the Looper?

Your setting to PC for the Input will look for audio over the USB connection, so that's not what you want - the correct setting is EXT.

Share more info and we'll try to get you sorted out!

kS
Meteer

Post by Meteer »

Thank you @Jicamasalad for responding. I was starting to feel a bit lonely here :)

Clip is empty.
Changed PC to Ext in input (I read somewhere the global recorder input should not be Ext as it conflicts with track input settings???)
Set track input to Ext L and Record a clip.
Now I see the wave, but can't hear a sound even though the fader is up on the track.

Questions:
* Is it at all possible to set up four individual inputs on Ext L/R and Return L/R and record them to four different looper tracks? (which is partly why I bought the 707)
* How do the input settings relate to the track settings and what is recorded on the tracks.
* When something is recorded how do I switch what is heard from the track from external to recorded looper clip?
jicamasalad

Post by jicamasalad »

Curious.

Well, let's take it in stages:
1) to my knowledge you can only record to a Looper track from a) the EXT Inputs; b) the PC (USB Audio) Inputs; c) the output of other tracks 1-8; or d) the output of the MIX OUT (all tracks playing as mixed by the faders - essentially a bouncedown.
2) It's possible that if you are trying to access the Insert for your Looper track you are therefor not hearing the audio on the track. To test this, go to the Track Settings by navigating ^ while the track is selected, then using the C4 knob, choose Settings, then General, then make sure that the Audio is set to Mix Out and the Insert is set to Off.

I don't believe you can record using the Insert Returns as a source, so the only way to record more than the 2 channels of EXT INput would be if you were also capturing from another track on the 707 or from a channel of USB audio using the PC setting.

I don't believe there are individual Track Input settings - only the "Master Input" settings, which apply to any track into which you are recording, so setting that to PC would mean you were looping for audio from the USB/PC Input.

In my experience, the Looper works sort of like a tape deck doing auto-punch: you hear Input before and during record, and then it switches to the output of the track once the record pass is complete, however you will still hear the input signal if it is still coming in to the 707. The Looper seems well-designed to grab a sequence or phrase from a synth or a vocal or some kind of known-bar-length chunk, but in my workflow, which is often sampling from vinyl, I have decided to put a volume pedal in front of the input, so I can easily shut off the input signal once my loop is recorded.

The last thing I can think of is: if you are at the top level of the track, not down on the first (or subsequent) clip, I don't think you can actually record - it might look like you do, but the end result is there is no clip there, since you are not on a "location" for the loop clip to be recorded. Is it possible that is why you were seeing no clip after recording?

I hope a tiny bit of this might be helpful - sorry to fumbling in the dark here remotely!

-kS
Meteer

Post by Meteer »

Thanks again!

It is good to know that I can not record from Returns (even though I can route audio from returns to individual tracks) I don't think there is any info about this in any of the manuals. The solution would be to have a separate looper track recording from those tracks, then moving the clip back to the original track :) . This solution seem to work. I have to switch Audio insert to off manually though.

Let's hope this odd shortcoming will be addressed in a future update.

(All tracks are set to Mix out, I am recording on individual clips not, top level.)