midi controller to have better access to synth engine.

Roland's latest grooveboxes
noise-impresssion

midi controller to have better access to synth engine.

Post by noise-impresssion »

Hi.

I just thought in general, with the update to have access to all synth features the mc101 alone is a very capable synthesizer and I would love to use it as such. With the right controller I would have a much better access than just diving through all the menus.
Therefore, I was wondering if anyone tried a midi controller to hook up and control all/most of the synth parameter on the mc101?
Also is there actually a way to store the midi controller data so I don`t need to assign it again every time?

The other issue is see in here, I guess there is no way to save my own synth patches. Is that right?
The synth engine is really great and there is so much potential, and its really great I have now access to all the synth parameter but at the end its not really useful if I can`t save my own patches except I save them with my song. Or do I miss something here?
xp30

Re: midi controller to have better access to synth engine.

Post by xp30 »

With the recent update, it is possible to edit many/most synth parameters on the MC-101 itself. The name of the tone patch is a parameter that can not be changed.

It is possible to save 4x 17 tone patches within a project, and it is possible to import tone patches from another project. That means you can use a project as a bank of custom tone patches. However, as mentioned above, it is not possible to rename them on the MC-101, which makes it difficult to find them again.

It is also possible to export and imports clips since the most recent update, and IIRC the clip contains the tone patch. So, this would be another way of saving your own tone patches.

There is still no documentation for accessing synth parameters via MIDI. It is unclear if the MC-101 has a full MIDI implementation, however, even if it has, it is not useful without documentation. That means, you will not be able to change synth parameters with an external controller, except for the parameters that are mapped to CC (for example CC#74 for Sound Brightness).
bibenu

Post by bibenu »

xp30 wrote: 09:57, 9 December 2022 It is also possible to export and imports clips since the most recent update, and IIRC the clip contains the tone patch. So, this would be another way of saving your own tone patches.
It's also possible to name those exported clip files, both at the point of saving them, and later by editing the disk yourself (needs computer (or iPad/iPhone), can't be done on the MC-101 itself)

However, once you've re-loaded the clip, the name it shows is the original preset name, not your customised file name you gave to the clip. I hope they change that.
Xtrife

Post by Xtrife »

noise-impresssion wrote: 01:48, 9 December 2022I guess there is no way to save my own synth patches. Is that right?
The synth engine is really great and there is so much potential, and its really great I have now access to all the synth parameter but at the end its not really useful if I can`t save my own patches except I save them with my song. Or do I miss something here?
Did you ever figure this out? I'm very interested in obtaining a MC-101 since its been hailed as an amazing sound module ever since the last update came out. If we cant save our own patches then that would be baffling to say the least.
bibenu

Post by bibenu »

Xtrife wrote: 07:20, 25 December 2022
Did you ever figure this out? I'm very interested in obtaining a MC-101 since its been hailed as an amazing sound module ever since the last update came out. If we cant save our own patches then that would be baffling to say the least.
You CAN save your own patches, just not in the same place as the 3000+ factory presets. Once you've made your patch with your song project, your options are:

* you go to a special project which you've made for storing patches, and from there, you import the patch you made in your song project.
* you export your patch to a clip file.

Turns out it's much easier to re-use your saved patches when they are in a special project (or projects) for saving patches.