This is where you can tell Roland what you want from the next MC707 firmware update

Roland's latest grooveboxes
check24

Re: This is where you can tell Roland what you want from the next MC707 firmware update

Post by check24 »

5. ad zenology automates four partials simultaneously (FILTERS, LFOS, ENVELOPES, ) in daws or with external controllers with one knob.
BJH

Re: This is where you can tell Roland what you want from the next MC707 firmware update

Post by BJH »

I currently have both the MC101 and 707. How about a new, slightly larger, unit based on the mc101 but with the 707 screen, the 16 step position buttons, velocity sensitive pads, audio in, built in mic. bluetooth and built in rechargeable battery. Comes with a nice case.
It would remain 4 track with the 4 shared knobs so as to stay compact.
No separate knobs per track, no assignable audio out or returns to keep cost and size down.
This would make an amazingly powerful portable unit.
Also longer record time and editor app of course 😉
sl23

Post by sl23 »

I wanted the same thing. Smaller unit with full 707 abilities and functions without all the knobs. Don't think it'll happen though!

The problem with any pro audio manufacturer, is that they don't take what works and build on it. Most likely some guy at Roland retired, so the new guy has their own 'bright' ideas about how things should work. But then screws the whole concept up! Just take a look at the Electribe series for a good example on how to screw up a perfectly good groovebox!

The second gen Electribe were two of the best bits of kit around for jotting down ideas quickly. Then look at the massive list of issues regarding the third gen!

Same with Roland, though to a lesser degree. The MC-909 was unbeatable in its day and even today it stands up as a pretty decent bit of kit. Only the sound engine and lower fx count really hinder its ability to stay current.

Roland should've expanded on this unit, not ditched it and try reinventing it. Not everyone wants to work with short loops and the 909 could be used as a linear sequencer. Bring on the MC-909 mk2!!

Even the fantom is a mess! For those new to music tech, and therefore know no better, it's a dream instrument. But for many who know of the old tech that just worked when you bought it, it's a joke. Just like everything you buy these days! They must know if these bugs and deficiencies during r+d, so really there's no excuse.
kazeko

Post by kazeko »

hello everybody

just got my mc 707 ,and i am very happy of it
honestly i got it only because i see ROLAND is making fixes and includes features
i hope it will stay that way cause this machine have potential and it would be shame to leave it ,to die like it was in the past
i hope people at ROLAND starting to get that working in tandem with their users is the way to go

here my few remarks:

-128 clips (16 clips per track)
that is not enough,in mc808 was 800 user and 800 card patterns of 16 tracks each pattern...and that was 2006...
please expand.

-KITS Saving
this one is obvious
it is a little step backwards from mc808, by now not being able to save your custom kits

-KIT EDIT -> MFX CTRL
lets say i have DELAY effect set in MFX.
now there are only two parameters for DELAY(feedback and balance) available to assign to each of four MFX CtrlAsgn1,2,3,4
why not give all the parameters of MFX effects to be available to choose from for MFX CtrlAsgn1,2,3,4 ?
give us some freedom please

-Pad Mode NOTE
it seems that pads do no flash always when note is triggered.
please fix that because it is confusing and annoying

-Sequencer Transpose (Hold down the [NOTE] button and press the pad)
please also for DRUM tracks

-Motion
if track contains Motion data ,i wanna propose Motion ON light blinks.
that way user know if there is Motion data on the track or not

-Master Delays
when Delay Sync is off please switch control of FX PRM from NOTE to MSEC and vice versa,otherwise FX PRM knob become without use

-[FILTER] knob, [MOD] knob, [FX] knob and KNOB ASSIGNMENT
e.g. TRACK 1 ,TONE ,[FILTER] knob have assigned DECAY with parameter set to +63,
now in KNOB ASSIGN if i remove DECAY from [FILTER] knob,and if i go TONE edit and AMP edit and try to change DECAY to 0 nothing changes!
KNOB ASSIGN stores last knob position and affects destination parameter even after removing assignemt.
please make KNOB ASSIGN parameters detach from destination parameters after removing them from KNOB ASSIGN(ghost controll)

-KNOB ASSIGN Cutoff
depsite Filter Cutoff to have 1024 steps it seems to work only around 64 steps, while KNOB ASSIGN have 128 steps range,please fix

-KNOB ASSIGN Decay and Releaase
Decay and Release does not work correctly.
seems it not works equaly over hole range of knob on DRUM track,and DECAY not working at all on TONE track,

-Demo Screen being customizable via BITMAP(or other format) file from SD card
this would add a lovely personal touch to our 707.

-Sample Start
Sample Start parameter in KNOB ASSIGN.

-Sampling
more options for sampling please
MONO/STEREO
44/32/22/11 khz
24/16/8 bits

-Scatter presets
could be amazing to have few Scatter presets to swith between

-Note Shift & Transpose
PRESS&HOLD [Measure <] and now [Value] dial shift notes left and right
PRESS&HOLD [Measure >] and now [Value] dial transpose notes up&down(maybe instead of Hold down the [NOTE] button and press the pad)
this could be amazing for quick edit

-mc 808 Arpeggio Styles and Sync Mode1,Mode2
in my opinion mc 808 Arpeggio was one of the best features of that machine,with ARPEGGIO STYLES both factory and user defined
,you could fill 16 tracks in no time!

so dear ROLAND please bring back those ARPEGGIO STYLES from mc808 and Sync Mode1,Mode2 if that is possible,
Arp Sync Mode (Arpeggio Sync Mode)
OFF, MODE1, MODE2
Specifies how the arpeggio start timing will be synchronized to the pattern.
OFF: The start timing will not synchronize.
MODE1: When a pattern plays, the arpeggio will start in synchronization. When the pattern stops, the arpeggio will also stop.
MODE2: In addition to the operation of MODE1, the arpeggio will start at the beginning of the next measure of the currently-playing pattern.
* If the pattern is stopped, the arpeggio will start immediately, regardless of which of the
above settings is selected.
if it's just matter of copy and paste some code ,this would bring that magic back and would make mc 707 ARPEGGIO amazing tool!
because as for now ARPEGGIO in mc707 i am sorry to say ,is a step backwards,it lacks those two essential elements ,STYLES and SYNC!

i hope my points are found worth of time and effort

thank you
bests
K
kazeko

Post by kazeko »

-multiple tracks to CUE

thanks
k
kazeko

Post by kazeko »

-Active sensing TX ON/OFF
please give ability to turn it off

-CLIP Program Change RX filter
please give option for Program Change RX to turn OFF for CLIPS

bests
kazeko

Post by kazeko »

-Sample Bank Manager
Purge option-delete all unused samples
kazeko

Post by kazeko »

Master Effects Midi Control
-Master Delay,Reverb and Modulation effects to have midi cc controlled parameters

bests
kazeko

Post by kazeko »

Looper recording
-sometimes when recording new Clip ,REC button stays on after recording period and recording do not happend
-and sometimes when recording new Clip, REC button do not turns off but recording is done
-Ability to save Clip from Looper

Level Meters LCD display
i want to propose to disable Level Meters ,they do not serve any practical purpose,in turn SEL button blinking to the notes would be much more practical ,since it is bigger and it is located on the panel hence user do not have to look on LCD display
Also i presume that this would maybe save some CPU time

-LED Glow
LED Glow to be able to go to 0/OFF hence inreasing contrast

-Input Level control in the INPUT menu
could be nice to have virtual knob to see it ,and not only pop up box when turning VALUE dial

-Usb send in KNOB ASSIGN
could be amazing to have also Usb send ,so one could use computer via usb as external fx

Clip Duplicate
-want to propose for Duplicate option for Clip
sometimes you want to quickly copy same CLip to next empty slot to add content ,Duplicate could be perfekt for that,
maybe in CLIP EDIT menu...

-Program Change Number accepted via PUSH ENCODER C4 instead of ENTER button

-3000+ factory presets
it is amazing to have all those just under you finger however,
why not make it erasable ,and give us that memory to use ...please!

thank you
bests
kazeko

Post by kazeko »

got it

thank you
bests
xp30

Post by xp30 »

kazeko wrote: 13:16, 19 January 2023 Master Reverb
-i have a feeling thtat Master Reverbs are far quiter the Delays,especialy INTEGRA 7 and GM 20,
in order to get same Reverb output i need to set 127 in PAD EDIT Reverb Send and 127 MFX REV Send,
while for delay just 127 in one of the two is enough,
Consider posting this as a separate topic, because there are surprisingly many parameters that affect the levels of the send effects:
  • Reverb/Delay Send Levels within the Partials.
  • Reverb/Delay Send Levels within the MFX (effective even if MFX is turned off).
  • Reverb/Delay Send Levels in the part/tracks parameters.
  • Delay to Reverb Send Level in the Delay parameters.
  • Reverb/Delay Levels.
kazeko

Post by kazeko »

Saturator MFX

-PRE and POST1 FREQ at least x100 with SHIFT,no SHIFT x10.please
kazeko

Post by kazeko »

Sample loading

-When loading new sample into PAD,previous sample is deleted from same SAMPLE BANK location and replaced with new one,

as for now,previous sample stays,and new sample is loaded into new SAMPLE BANK location,so plus there is no PURGE option,that leaves you with bunch of samples you don't need in SAMPLE BANK,which you need to delete one by one after all

bests
k
kazeko

Post by kazeko »

-Program Change Number accepted via PUSH ENCODER C4 instead of ENTER button
Program Change Number accepted via PUSH ENCODER C4 AND ENTER button
Frequalizer

Post by Frequalizer »

The mastering 5-band EQ the Mid1/Mid2/Mid3 Q settings aren't working with ZenLabs, but does on the MV-1 itself. It's possibly the same on MC-101/MC-707 not sure.

I agree with others better sampling options would be great. More looper time and sampling time could be nice if possible. Perhaps with lower sampling rates and bit depths it could be!!? If I remember right that required less storage space thus less memory space.

The vocal track on MV-1 would be nice if it were more flexible allowing it to be configured for vocals or tone/sample would be great also maybe that with 8/9 track options and overdubbing on the 8th track. That with like a MFX for the vocal track or tracks 8/9 to assign it to one or the other in terms vocals or backing track. Perhaps you want one or the other dry versus wet and at the same time maybe it's a little less taxing on the hardware DSP not sure. I think it would be a good improvement though for certain.

A think a option to change the demo scene lighting pattern to something custom would be a nice novelty or a option to have it do a breathing option with the project section color setup along with maybe a dim setting adjustment for the demo scene. Would also be good to integrate lighting customization within ZenLabs.

The compressors could use additional ratio options perhaps 1 value increments for the first value upwards to 16.