This is where you can tell Roland what you want from the next MC707 firmware update

Roland's latest grooveboxes
GMayle

This is where you can tell Roland what you want from the next MC707 firmware update

Post by GMayle »

Well, if Roland don't know.......

If I get just one of these I'll be happy.

1) Automated Scatter button via the Scene Linking

2) Fade In To Step and Fade Out From Step via Scene Linking (the Step being the length) that lowers/raises all volumes in the scene over time

3) Easier mono sampling to looper or system RAM (to conserve memory)

4) Remix. Saves the current tune and any remixes in the same project, perhaps accessing the SD card to load your remix. Initially Remix duplicates the current tune, and after you've changed it, saves it in an overall project file (perhaps with 6 remixes of the same tune) but in just one project file

5) Sample Library Export to SD Card, any single sample, or all samples, for saving internally sampled/bounced samples for use elsewhere.

6) Sample re-order. Gets rid of all the empty sample spaces in the sample library, and updates all the clips in the project.

7) Vocal Recorder. Takes up the whole grid track, mono, stores to system RAM. Play your tune, press record, and it just records a microphone input in sync with the tune. Also works on Record with Scene Linking. Has a compressor built in (like the drum comp). Function also has an vocal export feature.

8) Option to not use Master EQ, MBComp or Master Effect and use the effect instead on Tone Tracks. Same thing for the Scatter too, as an option

9) Sidechain compressor

10) Harmoniser

11) Chorder-Takes any single note tone track and adds the other 2 notes to make it into a major/minor chord, all at the same length and velocity as the original note.

12) Arpeggiate-It- Like the Chorder, but does its best to arpeggiate a single note tone track

13) Destructive Sample Effects- In the Sample Edit, a way of putting effects on the stored sample (like a tracker does), while having an option to keep the orginal, lengthen the sample etc (for reverb tails).

14) Song Export to 16 bit stereo wav. Must take at least 4 hours to complete in order for a meal break and washing up to be completed.😁

15) Step Probabilty for Tone Tracks and Looper Tracks

Now it's your turn, post your hopes for the MC707 as a reply below 🤨
jicamasalad

Re: This is where you can tell Roland what you want from the next MC707 firmware update

Post by jicamasalad »

What's so cool about an instrument like the 707 is how different people use it to make completely different kinds of music.

I don't need even ONE of the things you have your list, which is amazing! (Except probably #5, that's pretty obvious.)
But I can see how they could all be useful in making other kinds of music.

What I would LOVE would be an actual structure for saving edited patches in the synth engine; there currently is no way for me to easily recall a sound I have created myself, just like simple patch memory in a synth, and I rely on my own synth sounds, not presets.

Beyond that, I join the chorus of people requesting longer time for the looper, for those of us who work with loops and sampled audio but don't slice it and assign it to pads for chops and such; 60 seconds is just not enough.

Beyond that, I love my 707 and consider it a huge success!

Who's next?

kS
GMayle

Re: This is where you can tell Roland what you want from the next MC707 firmware update

Post by GMayle »

Yes, a lot of people say they'd like patch storage (other than using another project). I'm not sure if it's possible due to the Zen type format. Sidechain compressor always comes up too. Many things requested have been put on by Roland in the last 18 months. The MC707 is a brilliant machine. In 20 years it'll be a genuine Roland classic, like the 303 or Jupiter 8 are today.
jicamasalad

Post by jicamasalad »

GMayle wrote: 21:36, 21 May 2021 In 20 years it'll be a genuine Roland classic, like the 303 or Jupiter 8 are today.
Agree completely - it's a great instrument!
GMayle

Post by GMayle »

To try and keep this topic going I thought of another couple...

1. Random release/decay on the drum pads. I use the Random Pitch and Random Pan a lot, Random Release/Decay would be great for snares, hats and stabs

2. With the new mixer features, you can stack effects on 1 track by using a blank track's effects. How about an option to use the Master Effect as another send effect instead (maybe also the Scatter too). You have 4 knobs in the motion designer (1 of them virtual). Add another couple so you have 6 in total, use shift and knob 1 to use knob 4's function in realtime etc, and you could maybe get 4 or 5 send effects (master effect and scatter disabled)

Edited, sorry I forgot, 1 more..

3) For people who are playing live into the MC707 (not me). An option to use Scene Linking or Clip Linking in Record mode, ie Record for the track stays On when the clip advances to the next one. You can then play your sad prog rock organ solos all the way through the song in one go.

Any more for any more?
spacekangoo

Post by spacekangoo »

hello

for my purpose just a few minor things :

- ability to rename a project in the project manager (without having to save it as a new project)

- external midi cc recording (damper for ex)

- get acces to the current sound on the selected track when hitting the sound button (and not the last sound selected with another track)

Then it will be perfect to me

Cheers
GMayle

Post by GMayle »

Agree with all 3 things. You can change the outgoing cc assignments, but it would be good to be able to record 3 incoming cc numbers. Project renaming is a pain currently too, as you say, you have to load it, save as, and then delete the old one.

Just thinking, if you had a TB-03 (for example) connected via MIDI, if you could record 3 incoming cc tracks, and record link all the clips on the track, you could do a whole tune 303 sequence (notes), then overdub the 3 cc controllers on the next play. That would be brilliant for Acid House, Goa, Psy, Trance etc, where you really need to be hearing the rest of the mix while tweaking the cutoff and res in real time

Requests for 8 MIDI channels comes up quite a lot, that would probably cover the above. With the mixer inputs and 8 MIDI only channels, the 8 normal channels too, the MC707 could be used as a great DAWless hub.
vinceriley

Post by vinceriley »

I would like to see push/pull midi-clock, per track, to help sync a live jam and experiment with that.
GMayle

Post by GMayle »

Push/pull might be difficult to implement on a groovebox, though it would be great if they could do an algorithm that would do a few random milliseconds on each note. The swing is good but it's always the same, great for grooves but not really for simulating live drums. It would be nice if they could add random push/pull as a sequencer algorithm with a variable setting for the randomness
funktree

Post by funktree »

A question rises, where is the place where Roland listens ? The official YT Roland channel keeps emphasizing by each firmware update that "they are listening to the users" Who are these users? Can anyone here point me to that group ? We will be lucky if 1-3 of suggestions in this thread will be added to 1.8... if that ever comes.

My biggest concerns are not new features although there is one I would love to have "MUTE" (A.K.A. probability) on synth tracks and motion sequencer. But,..So my biggest concerns are small improvements that will help with workflow thus saving me time that is a rare commodity especially when you have a family.

Here are my main workflow drawbacks:

1. Knob accelerations is all over, I constantly need to grab the SHIFT button to get me the knob speed I need to work efficiently. (Wonder how long till Korg/Roland give us two SHIFT buttons, KORG wavestate would need another shift button too)
2. There is no way to audition clip steps. Roland, Plz, Find some shortcut to audition a step in a clip. Or(!) We should be able to start clip from 2nd,3rd or 8th page for faster auditioning.
3. Cannot edit multiple steps at the same time. Roland, please have a way to select multiple steps so we can alter velocity, start position, pitch and MUTE for multiple steps. It's time to get a good look at Elektron sequencers, they are the best. (Keywords: probability, probability probability)
4. Creating a new patch is a bitch.. Some optimization for partial sound editing (the drum track editing is ok) would be welcomed. There are hundreds of parameters and the up/down left/right arrows including 4 knobs won't cut it, especially when I need to jump from oscillator to the LFO settings.
5. The step LFO is a great feature, but poor choice of editing. I wish we could use scatter page(s) or pads for easier editing the LFO steps
6. Lastly, the 6k of presets don't make this machine more useful, quite the opposite.... a) too many choices even the categorization doesn't cut it b) You're forced to use Roland's legacy packs where they focus on authentic, organic sounds, which are sooo 19 century now. :) 70% of patch modification I do is to add some dirt like 'PCM noise/fx'/detune' to one of the partial and trying to use the same-old 3 parameters called "FXM" as a dirt solution. The FXM has been there since 1995.. JP880. Even if you purchase packs from the Roland cloud they unnecessary utilize all 4 partials thus cutting voices... so bummer on roland-cloud-packs. I wish for more dirty sounds... Polyend Tracker comes to mind, individual Bit crushing and drive before filter on each track not eating the precious track FX. (Yeah I know I can get samples in ...bla/bla.... too much work)

Enuf bitching... MC707 is one of the best Groove boxes out there and the last 1.72 is pretty good.
GMayle

Post by GMayle »

I'll be honest, I don't know where Roland checks the viewpoints of its gear users. But I thought that if enough people contribute to the title of this thread, Roland will surely come across it at some point.

One I picked out from your points was multiple note editing. On the editor where you can choose to shift the whole clip in pitch or step, it would be nice if you could choose just the current 16 step pattern instead, and/or an option to shift/move selected notes. So if you had a repeating 16 step pattern that was 128 steps total length, to be able to move the second 16 notes up/down in pitch, while not affecting the other 7 patterns would make it easier to put key shifts on basses etc

You're right the MC707 is a great machine. When I get enough money I may even buy another one, but we'll have to wait and see....
whyayeman

Post by whyayeman »

Hi Roland!

I would like to be able to play drum rolls and quick grace notes on the pads MC-707 with my fingers.

Today, in order to play a drum roll, you have to assign the same drum to two pads. It is not comfortable. I tried changing the sensitivity settings of the pads, but nothing worked.

By the way, I have an old metal midi drum pad from Vestax and it does a great job with drum rolls and various little things that I play with my fingers. In MC-707, I cannot achieve this. Big fail, Roland.
check24

Post by check24 »

my BIGGEST suggestions

1.make cc possible of all easymode parameters and recording them on motion with 128steps values .
or make the 24 knobs in 2 sites with 48 parameters for motions in one. track -and change with shift to current version-.

2.make it 16 or 32 bars for motions please like fantom
in acidhouse or other music its a standart with automation over 120. bars

3.make songmode like mv1 verselap-

4.display..............set filter envelope behind filter on display.
make 8 paraameters available on display with out func button
make 128 values for parameter knob.

5.give us synth extensions please

thanks for comming and sorry for my english is not the best.
Greets...
GMayle

Post by GMayle »

With regard to the above 2 posts, many people are asking for Synth Extensions, I don't know much about them, but a few people are asking so it must be something good.

Drumrolls? Have you tried using the arpeggiator, set fast on 1 octave? That's how I get round the problem, my fingers are too slow otherwise
GMayle

Post by GMayle »

Don't laugh, but I've only added this entry to get this topic back to the top of the list 😉