This is where you can tell Roland what you want from the next MC101 firmware update

Roland's latest grooveboxes
enorrmann

This is where you can tell Roland what you want from the next MC101 firmware update

Post by enorrmann »

Will start with a basic one : When playing samples in tracks add ping-pong to the sample playback options. Very useful for wavetable samples :D
GMayle

Re: This is where you can tell Roland what you want from the next MC101 firmware update

Post by GMayle »

That's a good idea. You can do something similar with the delay on the tone partials, the Seq presets in the library sometimes use it, but obviously you have to use the same sample for all 4 partials. On the Fantom you can convert soundfonts to work on it. I tried the free Fantom util on the MC707, it goes through the motions of creating the tone OK, but it sadly doesn't work. Soundfont support and wavetable support with ping pong, that'd be cool!
OmskInfo

Re: This is where you can tell Roland what you want from the next MC101 firmware update

Post by OmskInfo »

Set colors of the pads in a drum kit.

The Drum track is very powerful since each track represents 16 stereo samples. I therefore load these things up with plenty of sounds which aren’t drums, and will also assign drum sounds in a way that might not be consistent from one project to another. To help remember what the sounds are when going to mute them, it would be helpful if I could set up individual colors for the pads so I could assign all kick drums to one color, hi hats to another, chord stabs to another, and so on.
OmskInfo

Post by OmskInfo »

Setting the name of a custom made kit.

It seems this is missing from the MC-101. Every kit I make is called “INIT KIT” and I can’t rename it to something that represents what the kit contains.
OmskInfo

Post by OmskInfo »

USB Audio Streaming from TR-6S

This might actually be a feature request for the TR-6S since the MC-101 already has a “generic” USB Audio Class Compliant mode (which allows me to connect my iPhone and stream audio back and forth with the MC-101).

I would really like to use the MC-101 and TR-6S side-by-side, but that currently requires an external mixer which really defeats the purpose of these nice, compact, battery-operated devices. It would be amazing to just connect the TR-6S to the MC-101 with a USB cable and then hear the output of the TR-6S coming out of the MC-101—just connect headphones to the MC-101 and jam away on both.

Yes, I understand this would need a non-standard USB cable with a USB-B connector on both ends, but these can be found or created using an adapter on a normal USB cable.
enorrmann

Post by enorrmann »

Be able to load projects while playing another to mix them ! you know... like the novation ones :D
GMayle

Post by GMayle »

That's a good one but I don't think it's technically possible. The TR8s (as an example) has a fixed set of samples that you load in prior to use. Any project can then use those those samples. The MC707 assigns all its free RAM to an empty project, meaning each project has the entire system and looper RAM available. But the downside is that you can only have one project loaded at a time, and you have to remove the old project to load a new one. It'd be great but I don't thinks it's technically possible.
OmskInfo

Post by OmskInfo »

What I would find to be an acceptable solution for this (since I also agree that the MC-101 likely has to dump it entire memory before loading the next project...at least until it starts just streaming samples from the SD card) would be if the MC-101 could continue following the incoming MIDI Clock while loading a new project and allow a "synchro start" once the project is finished loading.

For example: I could keep a beat going on the TR-6S (which would be outputting MIDI Clock to the MC-101 in this case) while loading the new project on the MC-101 (therefore no dead air). When the project is finally loaded on the MC-101, I could press [Play] on the MC-101 and it would wait until the next downbeat (or even just the next beat) before starting. With this kind of functionality, I wouldn't have to stop the TR-6S and restart it to get the MC-101 started in sync.

So Roland would have to get rid of that "Now Playing" error that comes up if you try loading while Play is active...maybe turn it into an "Are you sure?" question which you can confirm during playback to enable this special behavior. Once a project has been loaded while Play is active, then it comes up in this standby state waiting for a synced start on your command.
OmskInfo

Post by OmskInfo »

Copy a Pad with its associated sound and sequence from one Drum Kit track to another.

I often find myself building up a groove on a drum kit piece by piece, until I realize that a handful of those samples would be more useful separated out on another track (for controlling it with the fader and/or applying different MFX). It would be great to have a "Pad" option in the Copy menu where I choose source Track+Pad -> destination Track+Pad. Bonus: option to "Move" instead of "Copy".
OmskInfo

Post by OmskInfo »

Crop unused sample data.

I'm happy there's an option to set the start and end times of a sample, and I'd just like an additional function to crop-off the unused portion of the same (everything before the start point and every after the end point) in order to free up additional sample RAM since space is limited.
OmskInfo

Post by OmskInfo »

Modulatable/sequencable sample start offset.

Among other things, this would allow loading a drum loop onto a pad, then programming multiple notes into the sequencer, each with their own start offset in order to remix the drum loop. A parameter range of 0-255 would already be perfect where a value of 127 would start half-way through the loop, 63 would start one quarter through the loop, etc. Would therefore make it easy to start the loop on various other hits in the loop just by setting the offset to the right value.
OmskInfo

Post by OmskInfo »

Coarse tune as programmable parameter.

Right now, for each step in a Drum Kit sequence, we can program Velocity, Note Start Offset, Mute Probability, Sub Step, and Note End (length). Would like to have Coarse Tune added (in addition to the Sample Offset mentioned above). That would allow programming some simple melodies into a Drum Kit sound without needing to waste an entire Tone Track to do it.
GMayle

Post by GMayle »

Yes good ideas, especially the modulate-able sample start point. That would be brilliant, especially if you could randomise it, and do it to the on-board ROM sounds as well. With just some subtle changes like that you could make some great snare and hat variations.
notquitedance

Post by notquitedance »

1) The ability to record pedal sustain from an external midi keyboard.

2) Trim samples before start point and after end point, I like that suggestion.

3) Copy paste Scatter pad settings from one pad to another.
AlanCodger

Post by AlanCodger »

(Un) Like for the 707 request, Slice a sample with a simple 4 - 8 -16 slot were we can adjust start and end point of a single slice, just like the Circuit Rhythm were is Dead easy