This is where you can tell Roland what you want from the next MC101 firmware update

Roland's latest grooveboxes
Phex

Re: This is where you can tell Roland what you want from the next MC101 firmware update

Post by Phex »

First

Small audio routing features for sending audio over generic “pc” out.
Per Track on/off, let you send just 1 track to an external usb device like iPad…not all the main mix out
And in moment I got a feedback loop, if I send some audio out and in same moment comes back, with all track faders are down. So I miss a feature for incoming usb audio, that it goes not directly in the main mix out (pre/post fx it doesn’t matter in my case).

Second

Is for the cenology pro>drum kits mc101 usability.
I used a lot off own drum samples for a kit and inside of cenology (daw/Zenbeats) it’s not possible, to develop an own drum kit with own samples.

Thanks
ThatBonsaipanda

Re: This is where you can tell Roland what you want from the next MC101 firmware update

Post by ThatBonsaipanda »

Possibly requested before, but

The ability to patch Reverb to the Left Send and Delay to the Right Send so one can use two external FX chains.
Jdom84

Post by Jdom84 »

First is this forum even real?

Roland!
All I care about is the side chain compression. I actually can't believe in a unit costing £800 new you have not any form of side chaining or cross modulation between tracks. I'm looking at buying a RNC1773 compressor to add side chaining but it's not fair I shouldn't have to spend another £200 considering the price when it obviously has the ability.

I would love it to be more open that only side chaining. Why can't the tracks modulate each other ? So my kick drum could modulate the cut off on a synth for example.

I feel like this thing was rushed and now ur clambering to make it function as it should have done originally.

Why do I have to pay a monthly fee to have full control over the synth engine? It's not a cheap device. I find this insulting. I am talking about the zenology software.

Anyway it is a great device but has some deliberate missing function aparantly to force us to spend more :(

More freedom over the synth engine and modulation is really all I can see lacking peace bros if Roland is even reading this which I doubt.
kraftf1

Post by kraftf1 »

Hi there new to the forum but not a young guy. Pretty old in the music making. Been away from Roland for many years and went back with the mc-101 which is a nice groovebox. However I would surely say that it is missing basic functions to be considered as legitimate!. I will be keeping it mainly because of the form factor but I think Roland owes to the community a version 2 firmware that should in my opinion include the following:

1) step mute probability for tone tracks
2) Copy steps in drums track and between sounds

3) undo/redo
4) Complete midi control from sysex of the synth/drum engine
5) arp for external midi
6) get rid of the lame and stupid "now playing" message and convert to a "stop playing and save" cancel/Ok
7) Record or overdub record on existing clips keeping the automation recorded(Jesus!! why the f... should I delete a clip to rerecord onto it?)
8) Ability to delete the phrase but not the clip(what the hell!! why isn't this possible, am I missing something)
9) Quicker shortcuts for copy/paste(come on its 2022!!!!)
10) Sidechain compression(again reminder its 2022)
11) Separate recorder(or at least in a looper track) - selecting portions of the sample and assign to pad like mc707
12) Sample slicing and assigning to pads like mc707 even without graphical representation
13) Alternative to sample slicing -Dynamically change the sample start for each pad separately for the same sample that is assigned to different pads(My God how lame is the current implementation)
14) Trim(Crop unused sample data) and normalise samples(WTF??? is this considered by roland a posh feature???)
15) Setting the name of drum kits/tones and exported samples. Is Roland making fun of us? You have the ability to name only your projects?
16) Copy pad sounds between drumkit tracks. Is a track a actually a prison for your sound??Jesus!!
17) Coarse tune as programmable parameter for each drum pad(pitch sequencing)
18) Copy paste Scatter pad

Cheers
kraftf1

Post by kraftf1 »

kraftf1 wrote: 19:40, 21 July 2022
8) Ability to delete the phrase but not the clip(what the hell!! why isn't this possible, am I missing something)

Cheers
Just found out the you can clear the phrase if you press shift+PROJECT+SEQ!! Where the f..... does it say this in the manuals?????
Did Roland put an Easter egg on how to delete the phrase from a clip???Jesus!!! Even if this is stated somewhere in the manuals then that takes me to the next request.
Roland PLEASE make an up to date consolidated manual!!!!!
kraftf1

Post by kraftf1 »

Another request is for drum track pad mutes.
Store the state of the muted pads in the scene and not in the clip.

Again I am pulling my hair out here!!!!!
Why the hell did they decide to include drum mutes inside the clip since we have only 16 clips per track. I am trying to use the resample functionality and I am hitting again this limitation wall with mutes being part of the only 16 clips.
Lets assume for example that you have a beat going in one clip and you add 3 resampled pads that you want to mute and unmute in different combination with the beat going on. So how many clips do you need to accomplish this task? You need at least 6 clips and you only take into account the 3 resampled pads. If you wan't to mute mute certain parts of the beat then you are running out of clips. Who is the mastermind behind this decision? I would like to know and congratulate them for this extremely lame approach. Do the guys in Roland only use Roland products? Don't they have access to other gear? Jesus.
Am I missing something here, can someone enlighten me?
ThatBonsaipanda

Post by ThatBonsaipanda »

One thing that would be REALLY cool but probably won't fly because of hardware limits but

Having two project slots so one could load the other one while the previous one is playing.
This would enable to use the box as a sort of DJ deck and the user wouldn't have to mix and match clips from other projects into one when doing longer sets (which is not that horrible though). This would obviously cause problems with samples as not everything can be loaded at once, but this should be left to the user and just *having* the ability to preload another full song project would be amazing.
enorrmann

Post by enorrmann »

ThatBonsaipanda wrote: 16:41, 10 August 2022 One thing that would be REALLY cool but probably won't fly because of hardware limits but

Having two project slots so one could load the other one while the previous one is playing.
This would enable to use the box as a sort of DJ deck and the user wouldn't have to mix and match clips from other projects into one when doing longer sets (which is not that horrible though). This would obviously cause problems with samples as not everything can be loaded at once, but this should be left to the user and just *having* the ability to preload another full song project would be amazing.
that would be awesome, in the meantime you can build entire sets on clips via samples, like in my example project
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=68969
algoritmarte

Post by algoritmarte »

This is my whishlist:

- add a "repeat N times" parameter to each clip (used when next clip is not STAY)
- add mute probability to tone tracks
- add longer "scale values", actually the maximum step length is 1/8, but it would be fine also a value of 1 or 1/2 (whole/half measure), in this way you could fit a pad chord progression of several mesures in a single clip
- add an option to increase the note length by .5 (actually the knob has a too small range: 0.01 to 4.99, and using FX+value it requires a lot of time to reach values like 16 (a whole measure) because the increment starts at 0.01
- add a granulator effect (a sort of Mutable Instruments Beads)
- increase the looper recording max length
- when picking another preset in a track, starts from the currently loaded one (the MC-101 losts the "position" if you pick a preset in another track)

BUG FIX:
- avoid note truncation between clips when recording live multiple chained clips

P.S. the MC-101 is a great groovebox, it would be perfect with also an audio input (3.5mm) and longer recording/sampling times.
enorrmann

Post by enorrmann »

algoritmarte wrote: 01:16, 19 August 2022 - add a "repeat N times" parameter to each clip (used when next clip is not STAY)
you can do this, the param is called "Play Stp Len" right next to the ""next clip" param
"Play Stp Len" should be read as "play N steps of this clip before going to the next clip"
icemonk

Post by icemonk »

no flash mode! where the unit doesnt look like a strobe light when you use it (maybe just solid colors)! or option to have no lit up anything if you just using it as a module!
kraftf1

Post by kraftf1 »

algoritmarte wrote: 01:16, 19 August 2022 P.S. the MC-101 is a great groovebox, it would be perfect with also an audio input (3.5mm) and longer recording/sampling times.
Far from perfect.
First of all they have to allow us to sample properly(like on the mc707 and MV-1) and trim used samples.
Even if they allow more sampling time in looper trcks mc-101 will still be very much ineffiient in handling its own ram.
Let alone the fact that:
-you cant use the same sample on a different looper clip(has tp be reloaded it in ram)
-you can't have a one bar loop play over more bars than its length in order to perform longer motion recordings(wtf?)
-you can't copy a looper clip along with its automation(wtf??)

All the above for me are considered as bugs and they are not feature requests.
Roland should at some start to respect its customers and stop feeding them half baked products.
And yes I agree that mc-101 is a vey nice sounding groovebox with a very comfortable size but it's again a pity that a machine with such possibilities even after so many OS upgrades has so many inconsistencies, flaws and bugs.
And Roland please get s..t together and hire some people in the support that they know the products they are supposed to provide support for.
Take a look at an answer that I got from Roland support

"Using the Scene function, you can call up a combination of clips to be playback. A project can store eight scenes."
Jesus, they are copy pasting from the outdated manual!!!
alex998

Post by alex998 »

A simple slicing function or at least basic sample trim/cut/truncate would be amazing

Also one for far in the future....real-time timestretch and real-time pitchshift!
check24

Post by check24 »

MY SEVEN FEATURE REQUESTS FOR MC101:
English is not my mother tongue
-
1.MC101-Tunemode for Drumpads on Drumkit-Mpc Style.Easy Thing to have a monster Mc :)
Please ad a Tunemode for Pads on Drumkits ( Pitch 16 level) for every Pad.This makes a Mc101 simple to a 4x Mpc and Mc707 simple
to a 8 x Mpc.You can record and play melodys in every pad.

2.MC101-Timeoffset funktion for drumpads and tracks .laidback and rushbeat
Give us a track and an pad timeoffset in Midi=ticks.This give us more control over the groove.

3. MC101-Copy and shift drumpads with notes for change the Microtiming of the groove.
Why this do the groove.
Mcs, Mpcs, Electribes plays the mididata in a serial way. Simultan ore next data are delayed.
Usb Midi can't do this . Usb Midi is collect many data and give them out simultan in a bigger raster. About 240ppq.
How it works.
Note-on ,Note-off ,Ghost notes plays the next and simultans higher notes in ticks delayed.
Prijority of simultan notes:it plays lower note first.it plays note on track1 first.
Some grooveboxes have for tracks a constand mididelay reserved . Then the notes plays not interactive with other tracks.
Now, you can change the microtiminmg of drums by shift the drumpad with notes to another key.
Only a example . You can shift pads like you want. Shift the kickpad with notes from C1 to higher keypad give your groove a laidback-feeling.
Dependent from keynotes between. Shift the hihats with notes from A1 and H1 to lower keypad, give your hihats a forward-feeling.
Dependent from keynotes between.
On mc101:Is better you make your drums on track3, not track1, because otherwise all your other sounds are delayed .
The keymap picture for mc101 drumkits its here: its not cromatic .its gm midi.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Mc707_Mc101/co ... e_numbers/

4.MC101-Please give us fullrange 1-127 of syntcontrol and more offset-parameters and partialtone-automation.
It's too little. Half range is useless, if you want to turn the cutoff complete down.The normal offsets are too boring
and just typically for commercial pop style. Offsetautomation global for Keycontroll, fildeph, lfoparameter ,filenvelopes
and Offsetautomation partialtones for volume and tune would be better.

5.MC101-Give us longer clips for automations with 64 bars.
Electronic clubmusic is not possible without long parameter motions .8 bars is a joke.It must be 64 bars.

6.MC101-Write controller values and partialsettings into clip. (true save).
Now it's not good. Great caos.You are destroy the whole song without noticing.
1. If you turn the button, the settings in clip are changed and they not come back.
2. Sounds are not loaded properly.
I prefer to make soundvariations in partials. But here the same. Controllers always must be set to zero, if they are to be correct.

7.MC101-Copy scenes with clip row to next clip row.
clip row 1-16 is scene 1-16
check24

Post by check24 »

1.Stop the macro states and motions . That's crap. Automate the partials-settings only.
Two levels are saved in the clip.If you turn settings in drums , then you have to set the macro controls again in other tracks.
2.cumbersome way to copy clips. 9 steps instead of one.

It takes too long to make a beat.