Voice stealing

Roland's latest grooveboxes
Hiddenpattern

Voice stealing

Post by Hiddenpattern »

Can some one please tell me if they have voice stealing on the mc 707 as I think I'm having issues with this. Some times its just when a single track is playing drums only. I hope I don't have a faulty unit. It's like the drum parts cut out randomly then will play fine for a bit and then cut out randomly again😔
SanchoPantches

Re: Voice stealing

Post by SanchoPantches »

Yes I had that issue. I could not find the reason why it happens, because it was seemingly random :(
Good luck with finding the solution.
farrellart

Post by farrellart »

The best solution I have found was to :-

1. Select the clip
2. Shift + Sound - Select Settings
3. Turn the Value Knob to VoiceAsgn and select it
4. Change the value from Limit to Full - According to the manual this prevents overlapping notes from being cut or dropped.

It seems to work for me. Also, if you still have issues, reduce the partials from say, 4 to 2 osc. and perhaps reduce the ADSR release.
xp30

Post by xp30 »

farrellart wrote: 08:00, 19 June 2023 1. Select the clip
4. Change the value from Limit to Full - According to the manual this prevents overlapping notes from being cut or dropped.
Can you share an example with some details where it helped?

I am asking because I usually recommend the opposite: Change voice assign mode to SINGLE to increase the perceived polyphony. And I recently shared an example in https://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic ... 66&t=69782. It is for the Fantom, however, it should be the same for the MC-707.
farrellart

Post by farrellart »

xp30 wrote: 11:12, 19 June 2023
farrellart wrote: 08:00, 19 June 2023 1. Select the clip
Can you share an example with some details where it helped?

I am asking because I usually recommend the opposite: Change voice assign mode to SINGLE to increase the perceived polyphony. And I recently shared an example in https://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic ... 66&t=69782. It is for the Fantom, however, it should be the same for the MC-707.
It could be a placebo, but, I have three tracks with string and long sustain/release on the ADSR on the MC-101, when the Voiceassign was on 'LIMIT" mode every measure would cut a note, but, when set to 'FULL' mode it didn't happen. I will try the single setting to compare and see if there is a difference. When I read the manual it states:-

FULL = Notes played on the same key are layered.

Even if a sound with a long sustain is played repeatedly, the notes are unrestrictedly layered without silencing the previous sounds.

It works for me as I cannot hear any dropouts. When it used to happen when using `LIMIT' mode it was very obvious and annoying (FW 1.82). The easiest way to test it is to try 'FULL' mode ( it has to be set on each clip ) on two tracks with long sustain/release and the same notes with different tones. With these machines, you just have to experiment to get the best results.
xp30

Post by xp30 »

farrellart wrote: 12:27, 20 June 2023 It works for me as I cannot hear any dropouts. When it used to happen when using `LIMIT' mode it was very obvious and annoying (FW 1.82). The easiest way to test it is to try 'FULL' mode ( it has to be set on each clip ) on two tracks with long sustain/release and the same notes with different tones. With these machines, you just have to experiment to get the best results.
I understand the concept of voice assign mode. A simple example for using FULL would be a sound effect (e.g. thunder) with alternate/random pan. In this case, if I trigger the same note twice, then I do want to hear the samples overlap.

However, you mentioned strings, and for strings, it would be interesting to have a sonic example. Because phasing is an issue with overlapping notes for instruments. See also https://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic ... 69&t=69363.

You mentioned "same notes with different tones". It is not clear to me what you mean by that. Do you mean alternating between tracks/zones, or playing the same notes simultaneously on multiple tracks/zones?
farrellart

Post by farrellart »

Sorry mate, I don't have time for recording at the moment as I am working on many projects ( fine art not music ), I do have some music on my Instagram channel for my promo's for art. @farrellartist

Try setting up a sequenced track on t2.1 with loads of sustain and release and then copy it to t3.1 using the same sequence but a completely different tone. Have a play and see if the voices drop out or not when they are both playing while messing with the VoiceAssign settings. The best way to check it out is to experiment.