MC 707 Program change with MSB / LSB issue

Roland's latest grooveboxes
Eldubz

MC 707 Program change with MSB / LSB issue

Post by Eldubz »

Hello All,
wondering if i can get any advice on Program change with MSB / LSB.
I have a Waldorf Blofeld with Banks A-H and 128 Programs per bank.
Sending standard MC 707 pro change Tx over clip change works, but obviously i can only use the bank i am currently within and 0-127 programs.
Fine, all good.

However, in order to change bank i should use MSB/LSB.
Blofeld does not use MSB and uses LSB for Bank change and program change for program. Ok all good. checked Blofeld midi implementation, although it does mention CC32 as CC to do this.

so i set clip Tx program change LSB to 0-7 and use Tx program change number 0-127 and similar for next clip.

this won't work while track is playing or when clips change, but it will work for when the track is started through pressing start button.
Once track is playing only the program change number is being applied.

Is this a bug or am i doing something wrong
Please advise. Pulling my hair out, shortly followed by teeth at this rate. :)

cheers.
kazeko

Re: MC 707 Program change with MSB / LSB issue

Post by kazeko »

hello there

did you enabled TX Control Change and TX Program Change in Track Settings/MIDI page (SHIFT + SEL of respetive track)

because if you do not do that then BANK MSB/LSB will not be sent since these are CC 0=MSB ,32=LSB

bests
k
kazeko

Post by kazeko »

ok i suppose you certainly have TX Control Change ON

but maybe your problem then is connected to COPY/PASTE CLIP issue i posted a while ago viewtopic.php?f=69&t=69447

so basicaly what happends when you copy/paste clip somehow mc707 forgets to copy MSB/LSB parameters,and you have to set it
by your self again...

please check other CLIPS for MSB/LSB data if it's set right

is your os 1.81 ?

bests
k
losgatos

Post by losgatos »

I've been experimenting with my JV-1010 some more and it seems to be the case that MSB/LSB are just NOT transmitted when changing clips. For me it doesn't work regardless of how I change clips, whether via scene or just manually, whether I do it with the sequencer running or whether I start explicitly again. The only thing that helps is to go to the clip setting MIDI tab and press "ENTER" again on the last field, then it transmits the entire MSB/LSB/PGM again. If I don't do that, all that will be sent is PGM and that's useless if the sounds you want to use are in different banks. MIDI support on the MC-707 is really a bad joke. Presumably an MC-303 from 1997 was better at this? As is, it's unusable for external gear that's more than just a silly analog mono synth without banks or patches. Very sad.
losgatos

Post by losgatos »

I figured it out. The MC-707 programmers are just not familiar with what MSB and LSB means. They should take a course or something.

THEY SWITCHED THEM AROUND WHEN THEY ARE SENT BY THE CLIP!

The JV-1010 manual says, for example, to send MSB 81, LSB 3 to select patch group PRESET-D. On the MC-707 when you put 81 into MSB and 3 into LSB in the clip settings, it WILL work when you press "ENTER" on that tab, but it will NOT work when you change clips.

But if you put 81 into LSB and 3 into MSB on the MC-707 (the WRONG thing to do according to the manual!) it WILL WORK when you change clips.
kazeko

Post by kazeko »

hi there

is your TX MIDI CONTROL CHANGE in TRACK MIDI SETTINGS set to ON?
because MSB/LSB is sent as CC messages ,so if that settings is set to OFF then MSB/LSB WILL NOT BE SENT!

bests
losgatos

Post by losgatos »

Well, if someone would "approve" my post, you'd see the solution. :-D