Program Change Messes Up Velocity?

Roland's latest grooveboxes
losgatos

Program Change Messes Up Velocity?

Post by losgatos »

I have an MC-707 connected to a JV-1010 as a "chord machine" to avoid voice stealing issues. When I send program change with a clip, the first two 16th notes don't transmit proper velocity information to the JV-1010 but only RIGHT after starting the clip. Once the clip loops, it's fine. Presumably because program change is only sent when the clip is first started. When I remove program change from the clip and just manually dial in the correct sound on the JV-1010 this does NOT happen. Am I the first one to notice this? Can someone else reproduce on their JV-1010 or another external synth? Running 1.81 on the MC-707. I guess this COULD BE a JV-1010 issue but I wasn't able to find anything and that machine is ancient, so presumably the bug would have been documented somewhere in the meantime?
losgatos

Re: Program Change Messes Up Velocity?

Post by losgatos »

Never mind, I guess it is a well-know issue of the JV-1010 after all: https://gearspace.com/board/electronic- ... issue.html
losgatos

Re: Program Change Messes Up Velocity?

Post by losgatos »

Writing a reply in another thread reminded me that I never posted my workaround here. So just in case someone else runs into this with the MC-707 / JV-1010 combination in the future...

I made separate clips that just have the program change, no other MIDI data. I set those to "play" before I switch to the actual clip that contains the notes/chords. Works, but it also means I always need to have a break between two different patches from the JV-1010 and I lose a few clips to just doing program changes.