Setup for multi samples?

Roland's latest grooveboxes
losgatos

Setup for multi samples?

Post by losgatos »

I have some external synths that I'd like to sample into the MC-707 and then "play" on a tone track. I wonder what the best setup to do this is if I want, say, four separate samples to cover four octaves.

Putting each sample into a partial and assigning a keyboard range to each partial seems like a decent approach, but then I am a noob when it comes to this kind of stuff. I usually only worry about drum samples or short loops, not about playing samples chromatically with decent fidelity.

Does anyone have any hints for this kind of setup?

Also are C2, C3, C4, C5 the samples to use for something like this or should it be a different note?
losgatos

Re: Setup for multi samples?

Post by losgatos »

Not entirely sure if this will work. I attached a clip below that I saved from the MC-707. If it includes the actual sample data (which I am not sure about) it should explain what I am doing so far.

I sampled a patch from the old JV-1010 at four different octaves and slapped each one into a partial with a specific key range. So when you're playing C2, C3, C4, or C5 you get the "actual" sample at that note (original length), but between those it's pitched up/down by the MC-707 playing the sample at a different rate (so the samples become longer below C2 and shorter as you go up from each).

I did play with the "gradual" key range stuff to maybe "mix in" a bit from "both sides" but I didn't like the outcome.

My question still is if someone has another idea for how to do something like this on the MC-707.
Attachments
MC-707_Clip.zip
MC-707 Saved Clip in a ZIP
(399.09 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
kazeko

Post by kazeko »

if you have hardware i would just connect it via midi ,control it with tone track ,and get it over with.
sampling in mc707 is rudementary,its just aint made for such stuff in my opinion
losgatos

Post by losgatos »

Sadly "just connect it via MIDI" won't do what I need since I want to use multiple sounds and apply different effects. So with nothing but my MC-707 I don't see a way around sampling into it. Then it's a question of what to sample and how to use it. Hence my question. But thanks for your input!
GMayle

Post by GMayle »

Yes, agree, MC707 not really made for multisamples. The MC707 however can MIDI control a Korg Wavestate, which has 4 GB of multisample RAM and a vector joystick that can blend up to 4 multisamples. The 4 partial Wavestate can also be used for 'velocity multisamples', for example, for a piano or EP, but that uses 4 times the RAM. The Wavestate isn't a 'budget solution', realise that, but it is fairly cheap when you consider the multisample instruments that you can make it emulate. Our Wavestate is often used as a 4 way Mellotron, it sounds incredible, and we can play it from the MC707 sequencer, mix it back in to MC707 through an input channel. Sometimes we resample the MC707-played Wavestate to a drum pad on the MC707. The Korg Modwave has the same multisample RAM as the Wavestate.
sl23

Post by sl23 »

I have an MPC Live 2 and have successfully done exactly what you are trying to do using the built in Auto-Sampler. I suggest you get that to achieve what you want or get an SP404, cheaper, and record each sound dry, then you can effect it afterwards.

Either that or record the sound into your computer and add fx that way.

Btw, the MPC is an absolute astounding sampler and sample player for multi-samples. There's no artifacts or difference in timbre when playing them bk over different pitches. It sounds pretty similar to the original sound even at a different pitch from the sample or even between multi-samples. Well worth the investment. And the plugins are pretty damn good too. It's not without it's flaws and complexity, but it's an amazing tool! I only wish it were more compact, like the Mc101,id be happy to lose the original pad size for more SP404 sized pads.