MC-707 Needs an editor for the build-in synth and a proper side chain compressor

Roland's latest grooveboxes
inquebis

MC-707 Needs an editor for the build-in synth and a proper side chain compressor

Post by inquebis »

I always loved the Roland sounds, i own the Jupiter x and the MC 707. I hope they fix some bugs that came with the 1.81 updates and also still missing a proper side chain compressor and most of all a proper editor for the build-in synth ..I use my MC 707 for live performance and using an LFO effect to side chain not great .Roland if your reading this message please take this in consideration.Their are groove boxes with much lower price tag that have these features side chain is a necessary tool in music production..
GMayle

Re: MC-707 Needs an editor for the build-in synth and a proper side chain compressor

Post by GMayle »

There is a cloud editor for the MC707, that you can buy standalone, but it's VST3 only, if I recall correctly. As for the sidechain, true. It could do with a sidechain compressor as an extra function, with a selectable source from any drum pad, looper or tone, and to multiple destinations in different amounts. You can record 8 tracks to a DAW and sidechain there, but for live use, it really does need a sidechain compressor. The weird thing about the MC707 is that it has 5 compressors on the drum machine, all separately configurable, but no use as a sidechain for a bass, unless you want to play bass on a drum pad without altering the pitch! Pretty sure Roland could give the machine a sidechain compressor, it's an otherwise well-specced machine.
inquebis

Re: MC-707 Needs an editor for the build-in synth and a proper side chain compressor

Post by inquebis »

Hi Gmayle, thanks for the reply. The cloud editor does not work for the build in synth deep core parameter's or adjusting the effects parameter's in a live setting . Meaning dawless just machines with external effects and analog synths with a analog mixing board to control my mix. On a stage with dark lighting and adjusting the sound parameters or effects on the fly is terrible cause the screen is to small for that. For the clips works fine
The VERSELAB MV-1 now can use Zenbeats has a editor giving even more control over the effects and mixing levels and the ROLAND TR-8S has it own editor and a proper side chain compressor . If only Roland could come out with a editor even on a iPad with out any sounds but lets the mc users have more control on the fly with deep core parameter's for the build-in Zencore synth engine and effects that would be great. Also saving patches on the editor. People have been asking for these features or tools since the Roland mc 707 came out. When I bought my mc 707
I was most certain they would implement these features in a future update. But still waiting and hope they will .
losgatos

Post by losgatos »

I guess the way Roland looks at it they gave us three physical knobs to tweak stuff with in a live setting. I will readily agree that it's not enough, especially since I don't think they are configured "by clip" but "by track" which is somewhat useless if you switch to a clip using a different sound for which you'd need different parameters on the knobs. But I doubt the "better live tweaking" you hope for will come.
inquebis

Post by inquebis »

Yes three physical knobs to tweak , it is by track not clips. Also the problem with the knobs when assigned to lets say the filter or effects parameters does not work well in a live setting cause most of the time you have to turn the knob completely for it to unfreeze or stuck at a certain value . That's why a editor would help .Sidechain compressor is also needed.
inquebis

Post by inquebis »

Roland if your reading this please give us a sidechain compressor at least. It is needed !
ottowyrth

Post by ottowyrth »

I strongly agree, we need side chain comp AND an editor, the TR-8S editor is fantastic, something similar would be awesome.
inquebis

Post by inquebis »

People who own the mc 707 have been asking Roland for a sidechain compressor, since the mc 707 came out along side sampling which we have !
GMayle

Post by GMayle »

Yes it seems to be generally agreed by most that a sidechain compressor would be the thing that takes the MC707 to a better live machine.

In the meantime;

Drop the base volume by 25% on the steps where the kick also plays. Not quite sidechain compression, it's a way around it, keeping the kick and bass together from distortion. If you do that on your first clips, and copy them through the tune, you'll only have a bit of tweaking to do on clips that are different. It doesn't take long, and it doesn't give that 'sidechain swell', but it does keep the kick and bass distinct from each other. Another technique is to assign 1 knob to Attack parameter, and to raise the attack time on the bass steps where the kick also plays. This is exactly what sidechain compression does, and if you set the attack about right, you can lift the bass volume quite a bit and still not lose the kick. One further tip, put a low sine wave on the 2nd partial of the kick sound, and move the sample start position in the wave editor so that the sub clicks at the start of play. Tune the sub to fit the kick. This will give your kick sound a distinct lower stab than your bass, making easier to distinguish one from the other.

Sidechain compressor, Roland, your people have spoken!