How do I use a J-6 as a MIDI input device on an MC-707?

Roland's latest grooveboxes
bbg24

How do I use a J-6 as a MIDI input device on an MC-707?

Post by bbg24 »

I'm embarrassingly clueless about this kind of thing but generally try to work things out independently. I've hit a brick wall here though.

I have a Roland J-6 and a Roland MC-707. I'd like to use the J-6 as a midi input device on the MC-707. I've tried the following:
  • J-6 USB-C to MC-707 USB. Didn't expect this to work and it proved to be the case.
  • J-6 USB-C to Macbook and MC-707 USB to Macbook with J-6 OUT configured as MC-707 IN via MIDI Studio. This didn't work, thankfully.
Would anyone be able to put me out of my misery and translate into dummy-speak the steps I need to take to get this setup working?
losgatos

Re: How do I use a J-6 as a MIDI input device on an MC-707?

Post by losgatos »

I know that I had to fight with the MIDI RX configuration for a while before my external keyboard worked. Sadly I currently have no memory what I actually did. I guess what I am saying is: Often it's configuration and not wiring. The MIDI settings on the MC-707 are all over the place and to me it's not always clear where I have to go to do what. I recommend looking at the settings in the global config, and the track config for sure and check if all the relevant "Rx" things are switched on. Then of course the MIDI channel on the J-6 and the MC-707 have to match. I think on the MC-707 by default track 1 is channel 1, track 2 is channel 2, etc. Try changing the MIDI channels on the J-6 to see if you can play at least one of the tracks?
sl23

Re: How do I use a J-6 as a MIDI input device on an MC-707?

Post by sl23 »

Also, did you get the correct midi adapter? The trs adapters come in two variants apparently. Though I have no experience with it personally.