assign reverb send in matrix

Roland's latest grooveboxes
teodr

assign reverb send in matrix

Post by teodr »

Hello!

Can't assign something like "velocity controll reverb send".

When try something like:
1 From "VELOCITY"
to "REV"
Depth +63
Nothing happens.

While if I change "REV" to "PAN" the effect definitely heard.

So, what I'm do wrong?

Is "REV" parameter is "send" reverb parameter, am I right?
"DLY" doesnt work either, btw.

both reverb and delay are on as global effects and can be heard when I use FX or C1-4 knobs
losgatos

Re: assign reverb send in matrix

Post by losgatos »

This might not be the right thing but MAYBE it is? Are you also using an MFX and maybe that MFX doesn't send to reverb/delay?
xp30

Post by xp30 »

teodr wrote: 16:10, 29 June 2023 Can't assign something like "velocity controll reverb send".

When try something like:
1 From "VELOCITY"
to "REV"
Depth +63
Nothing happens.
Note that there are multiple reverb send parameters:
  • Partial Reverb Send (pre MFX)
  • Tone Reverb Send (post MFX)
  • Zone/clip Reverb Send
AIUI, the REV destination in the modulation matrix affects the partial reverb send. Try setting the partial reverb send to 0, the tone reverb send to 0, and the zone/clip reverb send to 127.
losgatos

Post by losgatos »

xp30 wrote: 21:32, 30 June 2023 Note that there are multiple reverb send parameters:
  • Partial Reverb Send (pre MFX)
  • Tone Reverb Send (post MFX)
  • Zone/clip Reverb Send
AIUI, the REV destination in the modulation matrix affects the partial reverb send. Try setting the partial reverb send to 0, the tone reverb send to 0, and the zone/clip reverb send to 127.
OMG yes, of course, that makes sense. It even says so in the manual but it's hard to figure out sometimes whether something is just a typo or actually relevant. But now I am still not quite sure where the "tone" and "zone/clip" settings are.

If you're in the "detailed" editor you can set reverb/delay for each partial on the "OUTPUT / ASSIGN & SEND" page. However, when you make changes in the "simple" editor's "MIX" section (top-right) those are actually the "TONE COMMON SETTINGS / KNOB CONTROL" page.

That's where I am confused.

When you change clips, and the sound source for the track is CLIP as well, then these settings change. I would think they change because the tone changed, not because the clip changed.

So where would the "zone/clip" settings you mention be located?
xp30

Post by xp30 »

losgatos wrote: 10:44, 1 July 2023 So where would the "zone/clip" settings you mention be located?
I do not have the MC-707. However, I took a look at the MC-707 Reference Manual.

The partial reverb send level (pre-MFX) is in the OUTPUT section and documented on page 72. This is the reverb send level that is controlled by the modulation matrix.

The post-MFX reverb send level is in the MFX section and documented on page 74. It usually does not make sense to use both pre- and post-MFX send. If we control the pre-MFX send level with the modulation matrix, then post-MFX send level should be set to 0.

The part reverb send level is in the Part Parameter section and documented on page 64. It controls how much of the other two reverb sends is actually going through, and because of that, start with 127 to hear to reverb, and adjust it later if it is too much reverb.
losgatos

Post by losgatos »

Agreed. So no "zone/clip" setting, it's all either tone or partial.
xp30

Post by xp30 »

losgatos wrote: 19:39, 1 July 2023 Agreed. So no "zone/clip" setting, it's all either tone or partial.
For the question of the OP, it does not really matter whether the reverb send level in the Part Parameters is part of the tone or not. However, technically, the setting is NOT part of the tone. For example, if you import a Zen-Core tone, then this parameter will not be imported. If you look at other part parameters, then you can see that there a few of them can be used to override tone parameters, which makes sense, because they can be used to customize tones where they are used without changing the actually referenced tone.
teodr

Post by teodr »

Hello guys! Thanks a lot for your discussion and answers!
I'm sorry for been absent for a while.

Also I tried the suggested solution, but without a success unfortunately.

So. Did I get right:
In partial editor we use next OUTPUT settings:
output assign - mfx
delay send 127
reverb send 127

then in modulation matrix I assigned lfo1 to rev with depth +63
the lfo2 I assigned to dly with depth +63

At this time the total reverb and delay are switched on.

And these settings doesnt produce any reverb or delay of the sound.

If I use FX channel knob (which seems to be same/paired with sound mix panel parameters) to add some delay or reverb, I actually hear the effects, but without any affect of the LFO's.((

Can you say where I'm gone wrong?)))

Thank you guys!

P.S. the track mfx is set to On - thru, and delay and reverb send are both set to 127. they don't produce delay/reverb either(((
xp30

Post by xp30 »

teodr wrote: 22:20, 25 July 2023 So. Did I get right:
In partial editor we use next OUTPUT settings:
output assign - mfx
delay send 127
reverb send 127
No, that is not correct. The parameters in the OUTPUT section are the pre MFX sends. You need to set reverb send to 0, because otherwise, the modulation can not increase it further.

I created a tone that maps velocity to reverb send (and inversely to delay/chorus send):
VEL-CTRL-FX-SEND.zip
(472 Bytes) Downloaded 29 times
teodr

Post by teodr »

wow! thank you, man!

Finally!
It worked when I set Partial Output section sends to zero, sends from MFX section to zero and sends in Mixer section to max.

All the best regards and huge respect.

You even did the preset! Owe you a beer definitely)