MC-101 low output volume

Roland's latest grooveboxes
MAMMOTH

MC-101 low output volume

Post by MAMMOTH »

I've recently picked up an MC-101 and I'm enjoying it. The only concern I have with this is that the master output volume is very low. If I use the main stereo line outs, into a stereo input on my mixer (Mackie 1202 VLZ-4), with the channel fader and master output at unity, it's audible but barely. Compared to other synths I have plugged in, it is way too low. For example, I've got a Sequential Take 5, a vintage Roland MKS-50, or the Pianoteq8 software instrument as a stereo line out from my interface into the mixer, and they are all much louder than the MC-101, even with the master outputs on those devices set lower than maximum. To make the MC-101 useful, I have to use just the Left/Mono line out into a mic/line channel on the mixer and have to use a mic pre with added gain at about 40%.

I don't think I should have to use a preamp with this. Should I be using balanced cables? Is this device made to a -10db standard rather than +4db? Is there a master output setting I need to adjust?
MAMMOTH

Re: MC-101 low output volume

Post by MAMMOTH »

Answering my own question. I've found the volume setting in the program menu, and the high/low/mid EQ levels in the track menu, which have boosts, and I'm able to get the output up to the levels I was expecting.
Lunaman06

Post by Lunaman06 »

MAMMOTH wrote: 21:51, 15 October 2023 I've recently picked up an MC-101 and I'm enjoying it. The only concern I have with this is that the master output volume is very low. If I use the main stereo line outs, into a stereo input on my mixer (Mackie 1202 VLZ-4), with the channel fader and master output at unity, it's audible but barely. Compared to other synths I have plugged in, it is way too low. For example, I've got a Sequential Take 5, a vintage Roland MKS-50, or the Pianoteq8 software instrument as a stereo line out from my interface into the mixer, and they are all much louder than the MC-101, even with the master outputs on those devices set lower than maximum. To make the MC-101 useful, I have to use just the Left/Mono line out into a mic/line channel on the mixer and have to use a mic pre with added gain at about 40%.

I don't think I should have to use a preamp with this. Should I be using balanced cables? Is this device made to a -10db standard rather than +4db? Is there a master output setting I need to adjust?
As I was curios did a small test setup.
MC707 Channel 1, Init Tone, Midi Ch 1, Volume at 12 o'clock
MC101 Channel 1, Init Tone, Midi Ch 1, Volume at 12 o'clock
MODX Channel 2, Single Element, SAW Wave, Element Volume 100, Volume at 12 o'clock and MainOutGain 0db.
The Track/Part Volume Faders at Max (127) for all 3 boxes.
Mixer 1010 BlueBox, both MCs connected with TR cables (unbalanced, I know...)
All their Channel Volume at 0db, Gain at 0db.

If I trigger one note all MC707 and MODX do have similar level in the Mixer, I need to increase the gain for the MC101 by 6-7db to be on the same level then the other 2.
If I turn all 3 boxed to full out on the volume knob - the results are similar. MC101 needs 6/7db gain compared to the others to level.

So definitely the MC707 comes in 6/7db less than other digital devices multi timbral devices - how those do stack up againts Analog single timbral is a different story.

To get boost you can either use the EQ Settings in the MFX section (Master EQ) and change the input gain parameter to +6/+7db to get the same result. But the drawback is that with each new project you create that parameter gets set back to 0db.
Hence adjusting the Gain in the mixer, might be a better option - but YMMV.
MAMMOTH

Post by MAMMOTH »

Cool, thanks for doing a scientific test. Yeah, I think the difference I'm hearing is due to the fact that this is a multitimbral device, so the maximum output will be based on a theoretical condition where you have all of the different tracks/instruments producing output at the same time, internally mixed at maximum volume. So on my projects, where I've got various instruments programmed with less-than-max velocities, and mixed internally at various less-than-max volumes, the overall output might seem low.

And I also realize that comparing this to analog synths is apples-to-oranges, because analog synths are just typically loud as hell.

I'm fine with making project-level level settings and track-level EQ boost settings to bring the MC-101 output to a more normal level compared to my other synths. I've made a template project with those initial settings which I use as a starting point for other projects so I'm not dialing that in every time.
farrellart

Post by farrellart »

You might want to have the MultiFX set to equalizer. I do this by default now, it comes in handy as it sets the FX PRM and FX DEPTH knobs to Low Gain and High Gain respectively.